• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

bags temp rating and ambient temp?

I don't much worry about my garbage's comfort.
Though, I have found fish tend to die if you leave them in the transport bag too long. I can only imagine that's uncomfortable.
If I don't sleep well I get bags under my eyes. Seems they are bigger at warmer temperatures. Sample size is small on this one as I get good sleep.
And generally I don't care what temperature it is if someone hits me front-on while I'm driving; I want those airbags to deploy despite knowing it's about to get real uncomfortable.

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer. What are you asking about?

If you are referring to the built-in storage compartment (or ‘frunk’ as people call it), it will get warm after a long ride on a hot day. Not hot enough to really hurt anything, but definitely on the warm side. If I carry water bottles, I make sure to insulate them because I don’t like drinking hot water. I keep my wallet and phone in there while I ride without worry. I’ll put my lunch in there for my ride to work. I recently brought a gallon can of camping stove fuel ‘white gas’ home from the store in there. No problems.

I hope this helps. I can’t think of anything else that could be referred to as a ‘bag’.

JT

I always keep a few of those chemical heat paks on hand. Crush one up and toss it in near your feet. Cheaper than buying several different bags.

Every sleeping bag I have used was cold at rated temp. I think they rate them at the point where you might not die, not when you begin to be uncomfortable.

JT

I have not camped before, so Im trying to figure out if its better to bring extra clothes and rely on the rating, or get a better spec'd bag and not bring as many extra clothes. Im mainly concerned with the bulk of my system and not so much weight

Last edited:
If bulk is the limiting parameter, the hand warmer idea from CaptDL is the way to go. I'd also suggest a set of light weight long underwear. They're make good PJs and are useful if the temp drops more than you expect. They don't take up much space.

+1 on the long underwear. Layers help keep the body warm.

I use the hand warmers by my feet when it gets really cold.

JT

since i dont own long johns Im thinking of getting the rated bag for the temp and taking sweat pants (which i do own) and hand warmers. does this sound OK? or would you do something else?

‘Rated temperature’ of a sleeping bag assumes you are wearing:

Thermal underwear or your preferred name for same (both tops and bottoms),
Warm socks, and
A stocking cap
It also assumes you’re inside a tent suitable to the conditions, and that you have an insulating pad underneath you.

With all that, the bag should be comfortable to chilly down about the rated temp, or anyway you shouldn’t die. :)
I am flat-out COLD at rated temp in my REI sleeping bag, but then I’m from southern AZ so anything below about 80 outdoors feels chilly to me. :) I also have only a summer tent. That means I always have a couple extra blankets if I expect it to get anywhere close to my bag’s ‘rated temp.’

FWIW

Back