• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Back after 25 years....

pprior

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a honda CB400F 122_9612_cb400hon01_z.jpg

for about 5-6 years back in the 80's/early 90's when I was in college. Then life got too serious (med school/marriage/kids) and for the last 25 years I've been without a motorcycle.

In the last couple years I've been checking out motorcycles again, I drive some nice evenings to referee soccer (I'm a registered high school and USSF official) and have caught the itch to get back on two wheels and smell the air again.

I really wanted an electric bike (have been reading the Zero motorcycle forums for a couple years) but the highway range just isn't there yet (I need at least 175-200 miles range for where I need to ride).

So I've decided at this point 99% that I'm getting a Honda NC700X with the DCT/ABS option. My main other consideration was a BMW F800GS but I think I've decided the lower rev range of the honda will be more likely to keep me riding a bit more "mature" than the BMW and the cost is of course a savings.

So I hope I'm making the right decision. I'm debating stuff like helmets, riding suits (never ever wore anything other than a jean jacket and denim jeans back when I was a kid, but now I"m thinking about a bright colored aerostitch suit, lol), etc.

I'm also a bit disappointed in my local dealer - stopped by today but although he was friendly he really didn't seem to have much clue about the 700x even though he had one in the showroom. I was hoping for a bit more guidance, he was just totally not helpful, shoved a 2013 catalog in my hands and that was about it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the interesting threads, I've read a bunch here and hope to continue to learn. I'm older and wiser than I was when I rode in my late teens, we'll see if that translates into being a better rider now that I'm late 40's.

Oh, and btw - what's up with motorcycles not having a kick start anymore! :rolleyes:

Welcome! Hope it all works out and you get yourself an NC700X soon. I could make some comments about dealers but I won't.

Kickstarter? I'm still looking for the choke knob.

welcome. My first bike was the same bike you had (cb400f). I was in high school when I had mine. Drove my mom nuts, after a few years I had to sell it.
Since then, I haven't rode till last year. Now I got a red nc700x with dct.
Love the bike. Easy to ride.

Ken

Welcome pprior :)

I don't think you can go wrong with an NC700 choice, but I wouldn't get it based solely on a: "Oh well, I really wanted a BMW, but I settled for this instead, because it was the practical thing to do (it is though...) or the cost savings (you will save more than you ever know...) or to avoid speeding tickets (you probably would...) etc.

You are almost setting yourself up for a reason to damn the bike before even owning it, if it's bought solely as a consolation pity prize, while you moon over another bike you really wanted.

If the F800GS calls to you and tugs at your heartstrings, by all means get it. :D

IMHO that would be the "wrong" choice, but-

A: I have a personal axe to grind there so I am horribly and pig headedly biased (don't ask lol)

B: it would be a grim financial hit to try and recover from if you decided you didn't like it after all

C: again, IMHO, it would be quite a ways off tangent from a Zero electric bike, versus the NCX

D: I would have to post "I told you so" when you returned here to the NCX family, and I wouldn't want to be all smug like that. (heh heh j/k)

I'm sure if you lurk on F800 sites, (F800riders is awesome, they are like this forum, a great group) you will find a dozen reasons to get that bike for every reason I've argued against it; so it's your call. You have to be the one happy in the end, no matter what others want to steer you towards.

Welcome to our little forum world. There are a lot of re-entry riders like yourself (and me) riding now after a long hiatus to raise a family or work out a career. Bikes have changed a lot since "back then" just as cars and computers have. Most changes are for the better IMHO.

My experience since coming back to riding was I owned several different bikes in rapid succession before I arrived at a comfortable place were I kind of knew what kind of riding I wanted to do and what kind of bike(s) to do it on. If the bike is not what you expect there are plenty of others!

Greetings and welcome from West Virginia! I think you'll like and appreciate the choice you've made regarding the bike. And, please enroll in a basic rider course. They're immensely beneficial!

Welcome from Oregon. I don't think you will go wrong getting an NC.

Welcome back. You have received much good advice above and I agree with most of it. One other aspect to be careful of. You may be older and wiser but circumstances on the roads have also moved on during 25 years, from a biking point of view. IMHO there is a lot more aggression and lack of consideration on the roads than there used to be 25 years ago. Best of luck with your choice.

Grump my wife and I were talking about that over dinner tonight. Last time I was riding cell phones were in big bags hard wired into a. At and texting wasn't invented... And the drivers today....oy vey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well guys I bought it (black 2014 DCT version) yesterday. Having accessories installed at the shop. Probably paid more than I should have for them, but felt the dealer was much more knowledgeable than the first place I went and willing to pay a bit more for that.

Ordered a C3 pro helmet in large and we'll see if it will fit, if not I'll have the rear case on for that if needed. Spent a bunch of money at Revzilla.com (what a great site, nice reviews on a ton of stuff) and hopefully all the protective gear will never be needed.

Back