• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Avoiding Ethanol?

skiphunt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Recently bought a new motorcycle and the dealer advised that I don't use fuel with ethanol in it. I've read others saying the same thing in various bike forums too. Trouble is, every station I've gone to thus far has that sticker "May Contain 10% Ethanol"

I've never worried about it and am still not. But, I'm curious how anyone actually manages to stay fueled without ethanol in Texas? What do you do if your on empty and that's all they have?

Hi,

Recently bought a new motorcycle and the dealer advised that I don't use fuel with ethanol in it. I've read others saying the same thing in various bike forums too. Trouble is, every station I've gone to thus far has that sticker "May Contain 10% Ethanol"

I've never worried about it and am still not. But, I'm curious how anyone actually manages to stay fueled without ethanol in Texas? What do you do if your on empty and that's all they have?

You didn't state what new motorcycle you bought, but E10 is approved for the NC700X (owner's manual, p. 139). Buy pure gas when you can (locations here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada), but if E10 is your only choice, put it in and don't worry about it. There is about a 3% efficiency loss going from pure gasoline to 10% ethanol blend.

Or you can just take a side trip to Alaska, where according to the above referenced site, all stations sell ethanol free gas.

Greg

Last edited:
Well, I typically don't give it a second thought. I try not to buy from stations in the middle of nowhere in case their tank isn't regularly maintained, but if I need gas... that rule goes out the window too.

I was mostly just curious how others who try not to use any ethanol at all, manage it.

For the most part, I'm usually just looking for the best price. And if I'm really low. I look for the first one that will prevent me having to push my bike for 2 miles. ;)

I have one station here that carries non-ethanol in premium only. I use it when I can, but don't worry too much when I am out and around.

I should have added that the dealer that told me that was the one I bought my bike from in Oklahoma. Sounds like it's a bit easier to avoid Ethanol there.

Will likely look up which stations near me have the pure gas for regular fill-ups, and not bother with it for rides further out.

don't take every thing what the dealer say's as gospel .
I ask a few questions and the sales man hasn't a clue.
all their're interested in is selling you the bike..its all about money ,money I tell ya money.

Last edited:
Well, I typically don't give it a second thought. I try not to buy from stations in the middle of nowhere in case their tank isn't regularly maintained, but if I need gas... that rule goes out the window too. ;)
I agree with this, never had any problems.

I think that ethanol is only a problem if the bike will not be used often and stored with an empty or near empty tank thus encouraging the formation of water from condensation. Bikes today are designed to use E10 and fuel injection does not have the gumming problems that carbed bikes do. It's been a non-issue for me even with carbed engines but I run them all the time and use an additive like StaBil Marine formula once a month or so.

Buy some of that ethanol treatment in the little blue bottle.

I don't trust what the pumps say so put a bit of that in with every fill up.

Not sure about the states, but Shell where I live is 10% 87, 5% for 89 and E free for 91. I cannot remember last time I used ethanol.

Back