• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Automatic-transmission on a motorcycle? 2021 Honda NC750X DCT | Daily Rider, by Zack Courts

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got the notification about the latest Zack Courts video for Revzilla. Can't watch it at this moment but I would like to share with you guys!

I only watched a couple minutes but it looks like a video for someone who hasn’t taken notice of the NC DCT for about the last 10 years.

I only watched a couple minutes but it looks like a video for someone who hasn’t taken notice of the NC DCT for about the last 10 years.
Well the NC, on a world wide basis, rants as one of the top 5, and sometimes top 3 bikes the brand sells in the world, but here in the US it has a minuscule marketshare and is generally unpopular.

I watched the whole thing. I actually watched a ton of his videos when I was shopping for a bike because I like his approach. He places it in his top 5 as a daily driver. He gives high marks overall and seems to understand and explain what the bike is all about for many of us. He also answers questions and comments from people that call the bike boring and closer to a scooter than a motorcycle.

Well the NC, on a world wide basis, rants as one of the top 5, and sometimes top 3 bikes the brand sells in the world, but here in the US it has a minuscule marketshare and is generally unpopular.
Because the "average" rider in North America looks at a bike with 700(ish)cc displacement and 50(ish) hp and dismisses it outright for being too small, a well as sees an "automatic" as a scooter.
Part of the "problem" is that many in NA are either buying a bike as a "toy" or are conditioned to think you need a machine that spits out as much power as my car at a sixth of the weight to appear "manly". It's more a status symbol than a vehicle.
Every review I had read on the NC series went one of two ways, either negatively compared the bike to a 600CC sportbike (even though the bikes are in very different categories) or sang the praises of a "do-all" motorcycle for those of us who wanted a useful machine that was also enjoyable to ride.

In my experience, you can't beat the NC as a practical ride. I can keep up with just about any other bike on regular roads at regular speeds, plus stop off at the shop and pick up a few groceries (or refreshing beverages) without the need for additional luggage. My 700 is more than twice as easy on gas as my Golf Wagon, and even more efficient than my Ninja 300 (about 85% the fuel burn for a given distance). For those who prefer the simplicity of an automatic transmission (not me personally, but I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong :p) the NCDCT gives you a proper bike (not scooter) with a solid non-manual transmission option.

Because the "average" rider in North America looks at a bike with 700(ish)cc displacement and 50(ish) hp and dismisses it outright for being too small, a well as sees an "automatic" as a scooter.
Part of the "problem" is that many in NA are either buying a bike as a "toy" or are conditioned to think you need a machine that spits out as much power as my car at a sixth of the weight to appear "manly". It's more a status symbol than a vehicle.
Every review I had read on the NC series went one of two ways, either negatively compared the bike to a 600CC sportbike (even though the bikes are in very different categories) or sang the praises of a "do-all" motorcycle for those of us who wanted a useful machine that was also enjoyable to ride.

In my experience, you can't beat the NC as a practical ride. I can keep up with just about any other bike on regular roads at regular speeds, plus stop off at the shop and pick up a few groceries (or refreshing beverages) without the need for additional luggage. My 700 is more than twice as easy on gas as my Golf Wagon, and even more efficient than my Ninja 300 (about 85% the fuel burn for a given distance). For those who prefer the simplicity of an automatic transmission (not me personally, but I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong :p) the NCDCT gives you a proper bike (not scooter) with a solid non-manual transmission option.
Gotta agree. The average rider here thinks either (1)the only motorcycles are big Vtwins with HD badges or (2) you need at least 100 hp to have a fun bike/ capable bike, etc. I’m an old guy, I remember well when the CB750 came out (68 hp I seem to remember) and it was an Uber powerful machine. My ‘72 Kaw 750 H2 (74 hp) was widely advertised as “The Fastest Accelerating Production Motorcycle in the World”. Now a lot of people think a “beginner bike” should have that level of power or else you’ll “outgrow”it in a few months. Oh, and we rode those old, low powered bikes all over the country on LONG road trips. The “bigger is better” syndrome is alive and well in the US motorcycle market

Last edited:
Just got the notification about the latest Zack Courts video for Revzilla. Can't watch it at this moment but I would like to share with you guys!

In answer to why not just get a scooter? Scooters are a strictly upright position and on a long trip your tailbone will be talking to you...a lot. I had a Honda Silverwing that I rode on 1500 mile trips and it definitely was not comfortable enough without extraordinary measures. The NC reloads some of the rider's weight onto the inner thighs. An aftermarket seat is definitely required on the NC though. Maybe in 2021 they have improved the seat comfort.

No a lot of people think a “beginner bike” should have that level of power or else you’ll “outgrow”it in a few months.
I'll also point out that in almost 100% of the cases I've seen personally, no one (street rider) has ever "outgrown" a bike. You take a pro rider and put them on a "beginner" bike and they will outperform even a reasonably "good" street rider on any bike. It seems "outgrow" actually means "I can't figure out how to keep my corner speed up, so I want a more powerful bike to make up for my lack of skills." :p

My other ride is a Ninja 300, which is seen as exclusively a "beginner" bike that you will "outgrow" within a season. The bike will do 185km/h no trouble (can neither confirm nor deny whether this was on a public road), and I've seen speeds at the track clocked up to 200km/h on track-modified bikes, which is basically running 6th gear at redline (with stock gearing, I did the math). If you think you've "outgrown" a bike that can easily exceed the speed limits by half, and almost double the limit at the peak of usage, I just assume it means you don't really know how to ride.

Considering I've been riding for over 12 years (not near as much as many of you, but nothing to sneeze at) and have ridden a wide variety of bikes, including 1900cc, 1000lb dressed baggers and 900cc sportbikes and still don't feel I've "outgrown" my Ninja or NC700 (even smaller than the NC750!) the argument that you could ever actually "outgrow" a bike seems a little smelly to me...
More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, as they say.

I'd love to add a stupid-fast, throw-you-off-the-back-powerful bike to the fleet, but I would never trade my current machines for one, and the value-for-dollar just isn't there for me to increase the number of motorcycles I already have.

I chuckle at the 'sport bike' people talking about the DCT.

The 600cc + sport bikes , on the street can barely use 50% power.
I use about 90% on my KLE300 and 75% on the NC750 on a days
ride.

DCT has automatic with paddle override and semi-automatic (auto downshifting)
with paddle upshifting.

Sport bikers admit using speed shifters (no clutch) , ABS, Traction modes, Power
modes , etc. Without the 'modes' there would be far fewer sport riders. Will they
admit riding more than 2 hours a day ? I ride at least four hours per day on daily
rides with a group.

I have owned two cruisers and one sport bike (SV650). I prefer an upright riding
position. I don't pontificate on other style bikes for personal image or clicks.
I will give my opinion on a bike that I have ridden if someone asks me.

Come on now, you can't really rebel against society if you don't have the same kind of motorcycle as the rest of society now can you?

I'll also point out that in almost 100% of the cases I've seen personally, no one (street rider) has ever "outgrown" a bike. You take a pro rider and put them on a "beginner" bike and they will outperform even a reasonably "good" street rider on any bike. It seems "outgrow" actually means "I can't figure out how to keep my corner speed up, so I want a more powerful bike to make up for my lack of skills." :p

My other ride is a Ninja 300, which is seen as exclusively a "beginner" bike that you will "outgrow" within a season. The bike will do 185km/h no trouble (can neither confirm nor deny whether this was on a public road), and I've seen speeds at the track clocked up to 200km/h on track-modified bikes, which is basically running 6th gear at redline (with stock gearing, I did the math). If you think you've "outgrown" a bike that can easily exceed the speed limits by half, and almost double the limit at the peak of usage, I just assume it means you don't really know how to ride.

Considering I've been riding for over 12 years (not near as much as many of you, but nothing to sneeze at) and have ridden a wide variety of bikes, including 1900cc, 1000lb dressed baggers and 900cc sportbikes and still don't feel I've "outgrown" my Ninja or NC700 (even smaller than the NC750!) the argument that you could ever actually "outgrow" a bike seems a little smelly to me...
More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, as they say.

I'd love to add a stupid-fast, throw-you-off-the-back-powerful bike to the fleet, but I would never trade my current machines for one, and the value-for-dollar just isn't there for me to increase the number of motorcycles I already have.
Outgrowing a bike is something dealerships tell people will happen to get them to buy the bigger (aka more expensive) bikes.

I did actually outgrow my first bike: Royal Enfield c5 bullet. 450 lbs, 23 hp I believe and top speed of 75 (max going down an incline slightly). I live in the country so most roads are 55-65 and this really taxed that little thumper. Overall a fun bike but love the NC.

Outgrowing a bike is something dealerships tell people will happen to get them to buy the bigger (aka more expensive) bikes.
This. 100% happened to me. I shopped the CB500X a few years ago. Sales guy was adamant I would get bored shortly after purchase.

I did actually outgrow my first bike: Royal Enfield c5 bullet. 450 lbs, 23 hp I believe and top speed of 75 (max going down an incline slightly). I live in the country so most roads are 55-65 and this really taxed that little thumper. Overall a fun bike but love the NC.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree you were "right" to move up to a bigger bike, but I don't really consider that "outgrowing" a bike so much as the bike itself was just too small for the task.
This is more of a semantics argument, though, and depends on how people generally use the term "outgrow" when talking motorcycles.
My interpretation of the term "outgrow" compares the performance of the machine to the skills of the rider, and is independent of the suitability of the bike for the task.
At least in my experience, when people use the term "outgrow" it's more of an attempted brag about how good of a rider they THINK they are. For example "I outgrew my CBR300 after 3 months. I got BORED riding because it's just too slow." As in, they got SOOO GOOOD at riding that they constantly hit the limits of what the bike can do and NEED more. Invariably, these are also the same riders who can't navigate a corner without dropping most of their speed...
Other people may disagree with my interpretation of the terms, but that's just what my experience has concluded.

Agree with TIW.
My path was "downgrading": First ST1100, than NC700X, and recently bought Himalayan. :)
Probably in a year or two CRF300L.

And then:

:D

Back