• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Automatic shifting

Enrico33

Reaction score
Visit site
I hurt my left hand 2 years ago and find manual shifting very painful. I read up on the NC700x and the Aprilia Mana and realized these bikes may still allow me to ride.....any major reasons why one is better than the other?

i am unsure if there is any one here who dare say anything about comparing the 2 said motos. reason is simple: I don't think any one here has had the 2 vehicles for a sufficient long enough time to give a qualified answer. as with many motos, you buy it, you are the tester. good luck!

I have no experiance of the Mana but I do have experiance of owning Aprillia with their spares back up or rather lack of. Personaly I would go with Honda due to their better reputaion and dealer network. Of course there may exceptions to the rule with the odd Aprillia dealer who is excellent and the odd Honda dealer who is poor but in general I would always go with the Honda

So you are suggesting to choose the bike, based on the vendor availability and spare parts experience? Nothing to do with how the 2 bikes actually compare to each other? (that was the question) How do these 2 vendors compare in Canada? :p

So you are suggesting to choose the bike, based on the vendor availability and spare parts experience? Nothing to do with how the 2 bikes actually compare to each other? (that was the question) How do these 2 vendors compare in Canada? :p[/QUOTThe man asked a question I replied with my personal opinion based on my experiance of owning both makes of bike. It is entirely up to Enrico33 as to whether he takes any notice of it or not

There are no NC bikes in the US to ride, but I am an experienced Mana rider having had the 09 naked and the 10 GT w ABS. Probably something under 20K miles total. The GT was destroyed in an accident 2 months ago and I now have a NC700X on order.
Aprillia builds great bikes. I had no complaints at all. The Mana handles well, is comfortable, great brakes,and the CVT responds amazingly well. So why am I changing?
The biggest difference between the NC and the Mana is the 50% more power of the Mana. The weights are similar. You hardly ever have to think about having enough power to pass safely. The acceleration of the Mana is fantastic.
But, I'm 79 years old and am very safety conscious. The accident resulted from a young man (every body is young from where I sit.) coming from the left through the stopped outer lane and hitting me in the lower leg. I was tossed and police said I traveled 100 feet. (probably 40) The Shoei helmet saved my mental life, and the Olympia heavy duty outfit, while damaged beyond keeping, limited my physical damages to a smashed ankle.
I have always loved new technology and wanted the automatic of the Mana. I wasn't disappointed. I am firmly convinced automatics are the future of motorcycles. Shifting is instant and the amount of mental time it gives you toward driving is significant. At least for me.
But Rocker66 gave the biggest negative of the Mana - lack of dealer network and support. I believe the spare parts issue has been addressed by Piaggio's purchase of Aprillia. If you have dealer support where you ride, it may not be an issue.
The next item is maintenance cost. If you commute or ride a lot, the Mana can cost. The CVT belt needs changing every 12,000 miles and can only be done by a dealer with the special tools required. The valve adjustment is traditional shims and not easy to do as the NC adjustment is.
I loved the Mana, but I'm looking forward to the NC. The C-ABS is the best according to reviews, and the DCT should be essentially maintenance free. And I don’t need the power of the Mana. It will probably arrive here late July or early August. My ankle should be ready to ride.

There are no NC bikes in the US to ride, but I am an experienced Mana rider having had the 09 naked and the 10 GT w ABS. Probably something under 20K miles total. The GT was destroyed in an accident 2 months ago and I now have a NC700X on order.
Aprillia builds great bikes. I had no complaints at all. The Mana handles well, is comfortable, great brakes,and the CVT responds amazingly well. So why am I changing?
The biggest difference between the NC and the Mana is the 50% more power of the Mana. The weights are similar. You hardly ever have to think about having enough power to pass safely. The acceleration of the Mana is fantastic.
But, I'm 79 years old and am very safety conscious. The accident resulted from a young man (every body is young from where I sit.) coming from the left through the stopped outer lane and hitting me in the lower leg. I was tossed and police said I traveled 100 feet. (probably 40) The Shoei helmet saved my mental life, and the Olympia heavy duty outfit, while damaged beyond keeping, limited my physical damages to a smashed ankle.
I have always loved new technology and wanted the automatic of the Mana. I wasn't disappointed. I am firmly convinced automatics are the future of motorcycles. Shifting is instant and the amount of mental time it gives you toward driving is significant. At least for me.
But Rocker66 gave the biggest negative of the Mana - lack of dealer network and support. I believe the spare parts issue has been addressed by Piaggio's purchase of Aprillia. If you have dealer support where you ride, it may not be an issue.
The next item is maintenance cost. If you commute or ride a lot, the Mana can cost. The CVT belt needs changing every 12,000 miles and can only be done by a dealer with the special tools required. The valve adjustment is traditional shims and not easy to do as the NC adjustment is.
I loved the Mana, but I'm looking forward to the NC. The C-ABS is the best according to reviews, and the DCT should be essentially maintenance free. And I don’t need the power of the Mana. It will probably arrive here late July or early August. My ankle should be ready to ride.

Sorry to hear about your accident, especially as it wasn't your fault. Sadly we more mature riders take longer to heal, but I'm delighted that you are keen to get back on a bike. While I hope I don't have a similar experience I know one day I'll have to 'downsize', but unlike you I'm not a fan of CVT bikes, or cars, and reserve a dual clutch auto for car use - preferring a manual (shouldn't that be peadual' or footual'?) gear change om my bikes. After all my first bike had a hand gear change on the petrol tank ......

I hurt my left hand 2 years ago and find manual shifting very painful. I read up on the NC700x and the Aprilia Mana and realized these bikes may still allow me to ride.....any major reasons why one is better than the other?

Honda Canada is not bringing in the DCT model of the NC700X (or NC700S). I don't know if they're going to sell the Integra scooter version either, or if they do, whether or not it will have the DCT option. It seems more likely that the scooter might have the choice, if I were to bet.

If you want an auto shifter NC700 you will have to try to buy one in the 'States and import it back up here. (which may or may not even be possible, I don't know)

I really wanted to try the DCT, and would have immediately put my deposit down to buy one, but finding out they are not even being sold here, has me really annoyed at Honda Canada.

Now, that's a real review and comparison as close as we can get!
Great to have you, and as someone here once said, age does not matter.
You've got the right spirit, dear chap!
:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbX0KLzrT8Q

Overheard in video: 16 Litres, 200km....oh dear.
But it looks definitely Italian, I like.

Last edited:
Back