• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

August, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin

DCTFAN

Reaction score
Visit site
I am riding out to CO,UT,OR via the TAT, starting in August, 2017.
Then go north from Port Orford, OR to Seattle, WA.
This trip starts in August and ends when I arrive in
Seattle by mid/late September.

I am undecided how to return to Atlanta, GA.
Any suggestions on a return trip, would be welcome.

01/21/2019
I've shared a photo album: Trip to Utah and Colorado - Google Photos

Moab UT Trip 084.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing about your progress. You certainly have done the training and the practice. Best of luck.

I am riding out to CO,UT,OR via the TAT, starting in August, 2017.
Then go north from Port Orford, OR to Seattle, WA.
This trip starts in August and ends when I arrive in
Seattle by mid/late September.
My riding companion (also on the AT) will go on to Alaska if possible.

I am undecided how to return to Atlanta, GA.
Any suggestions on a return trip, would be welcome.

View attachment 33726
Did they pave the TAT. Kind of takes all the fun out of it. :(

Did they pave the TAT. Kind of takes all the fun out of it. :(
We are making our own route. TAT is not really what it's all about- once out there,
I am routing my own excursions, the White Rim Trail for example. You can't pass that up, including
some parts of the BDR and numerous other excursions.
It's never going to be perfect, but no adventure is...:)
As far as "fun" we'll make it up as we go....

Last edited:
This is not my idea of fun:

advrider.com/index.php?threads/tat-2017-roll-call.1212976/page-4#post-32425311

Last edited:
I just bought the maps for Oklahoma. In the eastern third of the state it looks mostly like gravel roads and some grid riding.
I know some of the roads and there are some pretty sections.
If you get close to Westville, Oklahoma send me a message and I might ride along for a bit.

We are making our own route. TAT is not really what it's all about- once out there,
I am routing my own excursions, the White Rim Trail for example. You can't pass that up, including
some parts of the BDR and numerous other excursions.
It's never going to be perfect, but no adventure is...:)
As far as "fun" we'll make it up as we go....
Classic bait and switch. Start a thread with "TAT" in title then put in a picture of a pristine paved road????

If RTW Doug did the TAT in his Harley bagger with side car should be a piece of cake for Africa Twin.
Just another TAT ride report, on a Harley DirtBag | Adventure Rider

Your adv link in next post didn't work for me.

Last edited:
Return via the left coast, cut across through Yosemite. Putz around in Utah and Colorado, catching the good paved roads you missed. Across Oklahoma to the Telhimina, then up through some of the good roads in Arkansas, then home

Yours don't work, but I fixed mine, LOL

Never had a problem posting a link before??? Someone needs to tell me what I am doing wrong this time.

It is a great read of a guy who basically decided what would be the worst motorcycle to ride the TAT and then did it. The way he tells is stories will bring a lot of smiles.

Last edited:
yeah, dealing with snow is a beeotch. last time i got stuck it took me 45 minutes to get back onto solid earth. and i was getting worried that i might be in for worse because that required getting off the the track, making an alternate route that would supposedly connect back up with it. and this was with a 270-pound machine carrying only a day's worth of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I will be slabbing it home at speed, one option, to slow me down, is to go from Seattle to Atlanta via all the National Parks in the NW quadrant:
What helps is information as to how to traverse these parks as some are huge and I don't want to get stuck with traffic. I've not yet been to any of these.
I am hoping a four day return trip with camping in some of the better suited parks for motorcycles.
Any advice is appreciated.

North Cascades National Park, Whatcom County, WA, United States​

Glacier National Park, West Glacier, MT​

Yellowstone National Park, WY​

Grand Teton National Park, Teton County, WY​

Wind Cave National Park, Custer County, SD​

Badlands National Park, Imlay, SD​

then dive south via NE,IA,IL,IN,WV,TN to GA​

Last edited:
I've been to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, although not on a motorcycle. The traffic going through Yellowstone can be pretty bad, but if I remember correctly it's big enough to find routes that aren't as congested.
Wyoming in general is beautiful and definitely worth riding. In the Tetons, one of the things that stuck with me was the smell of the various pine forests where I was hiking, which would be a bonus on a motorcycle.
They only Cascades I've visited were in the three sisters wilderness area in Oregon, and it was amazing. (Of course no motorized anything is allowed in a wilderness area but that's not where you're looking to go anyway)
You've got me wanting to plan a trip, maybe next year or the year after that...

I've been to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, although not on a motorcycle. The traffic going through Yellowstone can be pretty bad, but if I remember correctly it's big enough to find routes that aren't as congested.
Wyoming in general is beautiful and definitely worth riding. In the Tetons, one of the things that stuck with me was the smell of the various pine forests where I was hiking, which would be a bonus on a motorcycle.
They only Cascades I've visited were in the three sisters wilderness area in Oregon, and it was amazing. (Of course no motorized anything is allowed in a wilderness area but that's not where you're looking to go anyway)
You've got me wanting to plan a trip, maybe next year or the year after that...
Thanks for the tips.
Something about making plans for a trip, I used to do everything last minute before 2wheels and reserve motel/hotels.
Now I am planning about a year ahead and looking at routes, free camping and generally avoid high traffic touristy areas.
I think ADV riders are smarta.;)

+1 on Beartooth Highway

100_0680.jpg

Back