• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Atlas Throttle Lock, happy, not, what?

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gang,
I'm about to pull the trigger on an Atlas throttle lock. I've checked out pretty much all the mechanical ones and so far, the general consensus from at least older threads is that about 99.999% of you that have them are happy with them. I tried a search for the Atlas and for the most part, all I can find is older threads/info. So, I thought I'd throw out an info gathering and see what the latest opinions show. I had a McCruise Cruise control on my '18 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT and loved it. It was abour $625 if I recall. And due to the '20 version of the NC that I have which is throttle by cable, the McCruise hovers around a whopping $800 plus!!!!!!! Yeowwwww! Soooo, I think the Atlas is gonna do just fine. Anyone dislike them? IF so, may I ask why?
Scott

P.S. By the way, Atlas has two versions that will work on my bike. One is a "Bottom kit" and one is a "Top Kit". The bottom kit puts the bulk of the operation below the hand grip/throttle. The top kit obviously puts the bulk of it above the throttle. Which does anyone prefer? By the way also, I do not have heated grips. Maybe someday but, not planning on it anytime soon.
Scott

$20 Go Cruise does the best job for me. All friction lock throttle controls require micro adjustments above and below the target speed when setting and then again when going up and going down hills. Lots of fiddling. The GC eliminates half of the adjustments. It's removable in seconds for use on multiple bikes. It's inexpensive and completely out of the way when not in use yet always there if needed. No brainer. Every non CC equipped bike I've owned since 2012 has had one, several bikes the same exact one. When I sold or traded the bike I swapped it to the next bike. Works on OEM or aftermarket grips,

$20 Go Cruise does the best job for me. All friction lock throttle controls require micro adjustments above and below the target speed when setting and then again when going up and going down hills. Lots of fiddling. The GC eliminates half of the adjustments. It's removable in seconds for use on multiple bikes. It's inexpensive and completely out of the way when not in use yet always there if needed. No brainer. Every non CC equipped bike I've owned since 2012 has had one, several bikes the same exact one. When I sold or traded the bike I swapped it to the next bike. Works on OEM or aftermarket grips,
Yep, I have a go cruise on mine. Hardly ever use it though....like when checking zippers or scratching a place on my left side- I enable the go cruise ...

I have an Atlas throttle lock on my '23 NC.
I like it, it is a little spendy compared to the go cruise unit, but I like the design better.
I don't think you would be disappointed with the Atlas.
Oh, and I have the bottom unit on my bike, it works well.

Hey Men,
I do appreciate all who've responded here with your expertise and experience. While I haven't had any real experience with any brand or model of throttle lock, like many items or components I consider when thinking about alterations or upgrades, Youtube is your friend. Even those you have to kind-a evaluate and determine if what they're displaying is appropriate for your application. When it comes to the available throttle locks/faux cruise controls, looks wise, I do like the Atlas a lot better. Function wise, well, again, no experience with either.

But when you live in a small(ish) town in the mid west AZ area, and there's not a lot of like-minded people/riders/bikes etc. that are in your bracket, you don't get to test ride those kinds of choices. You go with a gut feeling and what maybe appeals to you. Cost, yeah, no doubt about it, the cost of the Atlas is SERIOUSLY higher than its competition, the Go Cruise. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Thanks for all the help here, very much appreciated.
Scott

for a device that simply locks the throttle more or less in place (as opposed to true cruise control), I think simpler is waaayyy better. Like Dave, I've used the Go Cruise for years. Works fine, easy one-finger adjustment as needed, easy to roll off with a quick flip of the throttle.

edited to add: I use the really simple plastic Go Cruise model, not the fancier metal one with the thumb screw. Under $20 so if I ever lose it or break it, no big deal (although it hasn't left my throttle since I got it).

61mlxP-SS+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Previous posts of Dave and Greg sums up what I think also. I have (for years) the cheap, simple version that easily transfer in seconds after heated grips installation.

Ali Express do a “Chinese Atlas” throttle lock for about £38. I have one and it’s ok but I don’t know what the genuine article is like.

i have the Brakeaway on my super tenere. works as advertised.
i don't think any throttle lock is pretty, the brakeaway is as un-ugly as any other.
i believe the same part number that fits the super-t also fits the NC.

for a device that simply locks the throttle more or less in place (as opposed to true cruise control), I think simpler is waaayyy better. Like Dave, I've used the Go Cruise for years. Works fine, easy one-finger adjustment as needed, easy to roll off with a quick flip of the throttle.

edited to add: I use the really simple plastic Go Cruise model, not the fancier metal one with the thumb screw. Under $20 so if I ever lose it or break it, no big deal (although it hasn't left my throttle since I got it).

61mlxP-SS+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Yes, I use the simple plastic one. For the job it’s the sort of thing where I think if anybody ever actually used both a GC and a friction lock there’s no logical reason for spending $150 for less functionality. But humans buy things for different reasons.

I’ve probably spent the same amount on all the cheaper plastic throttle locks that didn’t work very good as I spent on the Atlas. Atlas is best one I’ve found and once you get the friction pad fine tuned it just works. I have the ‘bottom’ model and the thin design makes it the least intrusive throttle lock of the bunch.

Well Men,
I just got back from a test ride for both a newly installed Puig windscreen extension and the Atlas throttle lock. The Jury's still out on the Puig. The reason I say that is we have some fairly decent winds around here in Lake Havasu so, trying to determine if the addition to the top of a windscreen on a motorcycle has done any good or not is pretty tough. I need a somewhat calm day for a true evaluation. As for the Atlas, well, I couldn't be happier. (other than having an electronic McCruise Cruise control) It was very easy to install and set up. Probably took me about 10 minutes all total, including removing it from the packaging. Since my brain is old and feeble, I just have to teach myself which button to press for ON and OFF.

But, it worked like a charm. No additional adjustment is needed from the initial setup. Yep, a bit costly but, it's a well made unit and works outstanding.
Scott

Moderator moved thread to NC750X Modifications.

I just purchased and installed a $25 throttle lock that looks like the $150 Atlas. Purchased on eBay. Reading through the instructions it was called Atlas. It looks and functions just like the “Atlas” model without the Atlas name on it. Save the $$ over the advertised Atlas model.

I am undecided between atlas style vs breakaway style throttle lock.
I don't intend to buy the original item as this is basically a test for me. The difference between the two is breakaway disengages the lock when the front brake lever is pressed, which I think is worth the price (around double).
Up to now I've been using throttle rocker (original) and while its decent enough, I still need to apply pressure around my palm area. This doesn't allow me to remove my throttle hand from the grips which makes extremely long journey very tiring.

Anyone has anything to say about breakaway?

I am undecided between atlas style vs breakaway style throttle lock.
I don't intend to buy the original item as this is basically a test for me. The difference between the two is breakaway disengages the lock when the front brake lever is pressed, which I think is worth the price (around double).
Up to now I've been using throttle rocker (original) and while its decent enough, I still need to apply pressure around my palm area. This doesn't allow me to remove my throttle hand from the grips which makes extremely long journey very tiring.

Anyone has anything to say about breakaway?
I got a brakeaway from a member here, who could not use it with his heated grips. Without thinking, I received it, and then recalled that my ( new to me) bike had Honda heated grips. I modified it slightly, and installed it on my other bike, an ST1300.
Yes, it works. The machining and design are really nice, however, it doesn’t hold the speed as steady as one would hope. Strangely, sometimes it loses speed slowly, other times, it gains speed slowly . The front brake disengagement is nice, and works great.Worth the $?? Only you can answer that. If I had to pay for it, no- I’d have gone with the Go Cruise.
YMMV.

The problem with ANY form of "Throttle lock" is that, that's exactly what it is, a throttle lock. It's not a Cruise Control. Soooo, that means that while your throttle is at a given position, to attain a given speed, that does not mean it will HOLD that speed, based on ever changing road conditions, i.e. grades up or down, wind (head or tail) or both. Regular cruise controls, as you all know, are not only mechanically connected throttle mechanisms but also, there's electronics in the works too. And all of it is tied into the speedometer. And all those working components work together to take the set speed one has chosen and, keep the vehicle/motorcycle etc. at that same speed, no matter what kind of ulterior influences it might encounter.

I knew long ago that a simple throttle lock is only a momentary speed keeper. I use my throttle lock primarily for one purpose. And that is to give momentary relief to my right hand/fingers and wrist. Having a bit of Carpel tunnel pain on a recurring basis can be minimalized with the use any form of cruise control or throttle lock. And I know that the speed will either increase or decrease, depending on the grades/wind and other factors.
Scott

Totally agree that throttle locks are not cruise control. The only disadvantage in using a cruise control is when you need to do long twisty mountain pass.
You need to constantly increase or decrease throttle pull and cruise control becomes almost useless. Found that out recently when I did a mountain pass. I wish I had put on my throttle rocker for that portion.

Back