• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Arashi Rear Shock Absorber - Has anyone installed

I would say it looks kind of like it was not meant to be installed
I'm not saying he should do that but installing a shock upside down is a pretty common practice and it would not surprise me for the company to advertise it as fitting the bike that way.

I reached out to the seller and they sent me pictures of the shock absorber installed. It should be installed the other way around. From online pictures of other shock absorbers and also the OEM the spring adjuster is usually at the top but it seems this one is the other way around. Pictures from the seller are below.

If i have time this weekend i will go back to the shop to have it done.

193009_98678672_26103851162467513178313900196.jpg193009_98678672_26103838162467511888342700189.jpg193009_98678672_26103823162467510340975600051.jpg

I'm not saying he should do that but installing a shock upside down is a pretty common practice and it would not surprise me for the company to advertise it as fitting the bike that way.
Hi. This is the first time i am hearing of this. The guy at the workshop also confirmed it that some shock absorbers are installed this way. We learn everyday.

Hi. This is the first time i am hearing of this. The guy at the workshop also confirmed it that some shock absorbers are installed this way. We learn everyday.
All depends on how they are made, and this is across the board. Some shocks can be mounted both ways, with little to no difference in performance and cause no harm to the shock itself. Others, however, are designed internally to be mounted a certain way only. Should always consult with the manufacturer of shock to see which direction it should be oriented or if it even matters.

I sent a message to the seller Amazon seller about installing the shock upside down and i got the response below;

We have confirmed with our product department. They told us that the shock is being installed upside down. It is the right way to install it. Don't worry, it is safe enough, and the product has been tested under various conditions before we mass production. Thanks.[smile]

Hopefully i should get it done this weekend.

Hello Everyone.

Got it installed on Saturday. From my earlier pictures you would notice that there was a variance of 2MM on the top side. the OEM had a width of 28MM while the new shocks was 30MM.

We noticed that the protrusions on the side of the mount was even. The left side was wider than the right side, so we grinded 2mm off the left side. After that installation was a breeze.

Before i left the shop i adjusted the rebound to the limit to the slow direction (tightened). My first ride wasn't comfortable. Bumps travelled up my spine.

Then i parked adjusted the rebound to the limit to the fast direction (loosened). Ride was very soft and bouncy. I liked the feeling until i went through some rough roads. Felt like i was on a pogo stick.

I adjust the rebound 5 clicks to the slow side and it was just right but it still felt a bit bouncy on rough roads. 3 more clicks to the slow end and now it feels perfect. Ride is smooth.

Played with the preload a bit. the advantage of having the preload adjustment at the bottom is that it makes it easy to reach and adjust. Its locked in place by a hex screw. You loosen the hex screw before adjusting.

I think it lowers the bike a bit. Unfortunately i didn't measure the height before taking off the OEM. I now notice i have to lean the bike to the right a bit before pushing down the side stand. When on the side stand the bike looks almost upright.

I have an alt rider side stand pad. I might have to take that off and see if it make a difference.

Apart from the grinding that had to be done i am happy with it for now. I like the fact that making adjustments to the preload and rebound is easy. I will keep messing around with it.

I kept the OEM just in case.

20210703_131553.jpg20210703_131556.jpg20210703_133304.jpg

Do not Buy. Do not Buy. Do not Buy

After running the shocks for 1,300Km which included stopping on the road to do some adjustments to see how it impacts the ride, I would strongly advise everyone to stay clear of this product.

This wasn't meant for the NC. The springs can't handle the weight of the bike. It reduces the height drastically. When the like is on the kick stand, it looks like its upright.

Anytime i parked the bike i had to wiggle the handlebar a bit to make it doesn't tip over if there was any vibrations. Parking the motorcycle became a chore. If the road was inclined to the right i couldn't put it on the kick stand.

I couldn't bring out the kick stand if the bike was upright, i would have to tilt it to the right to put the kickstand down.

The ride was bouncy bouncy. Played around with the rebound adjuster but it was either too soft or too rigid.

I adjusted the preload a couple of times (or i thought i was) but it made no difference to the ride. I later discovers that when adjusting the preload the whole assembly that has the threads turns as well. Which means the preload couldn't be adjusted. (Yes. I loosened the lock nut on the adjuster ring) This was a scary moment for me as it revealed the integrity of the equipment for jeopardized.

I had to walk the bike across speed bumps i used to ride over with the OEM shock absorber. The shock actually bottoms out when riding on undulating roads or roads with slight depressions. In the picture below you would notice the rubber dampener has been damaged.

I was doing 100Km/h one day and there was a slight depression on the road and it slammed. Almost lost control. This is a route i have been riding for 5 years and i have never had that experience before.

Luckily, i still had my OEM shock and i have put it back. Using the OEM now feels like heaven. What was i thinking?

Someone has to try out the new product. I have done that so you don't have to.

If anyone was wondering, I weight 101KG (222 Pounds).

I will be posting this on the Amazon page so others can take note.

20210822_172707.jpg

Rotating_Assembly.jpg

Do not Buy. Do not Buy. Do not Buy

After running the shocks for 1,300Km which included stopping on the road to do some adjustments to see how it impacts the ride, I would strongly advise everyone to stay clear of this product.

This wasn't meant for the NC. The springs can't handle the weight of the bike. It reduces the height drastically. When the like is on the kick stand, it looks like its upright.

Anytime i parked the bike i had to wiggle the handlebar a bit to make it doesn't tip over if there was any vibrations. Parking the motorcycle became a chore. If the road was inclined to the right i couldn't put it on the kick stand.

I couldn't bring out the kick stand if the bike was upright, i would have to tilt it to the right to put the kickstand down.

The ride was bouncy bouncy. Played around with the rebound adjuster but it was either too soft or too rigid.

I adjusted the preload a couple of times (or i thought i was) but it made no difference to the ride. I later discovers that when adjusting the preload the whole assembly that has the threads turns as well. Which means the preload couldn't be adjusted. (Yes. I loosened the lock nut on the adjuster ring) This was a scary moment for me as it revealed the integrity of the equipment for jeopardized.

I had to walk the bike across speed bumps i used to ride over with the OEM shock absorber. The shock actually bottoms out when riding on undulating roads or roads with slight depressions. In the picture below you would notice the rubber dampener has been damaged.

I was doing 100Km/h one day and there was a slight depression on the road and it slammed. Almost lost control. This is a route i have been riding for 5 years and i have never had that experience before.

Luckily, i still had my OEM shock and i have put it back. Using the OEM now feels like heaven. What was i thinking?

Someone has to try out the new product. I have done that so you don't have to.

If anyone was wondering, I weight 101KG (222 Pounds).

I will be posting this on the Amazon page so others can take note.

View attachment 46320

View attachment 46321
Hello Everyone,
After posting my review on Amazon, I received an email from the seller yesterday. They apologized for the experience I had and said they would look into the product quality and they offered a refund. I told them a refund would be appreciated and this morning I got an email from Amazon stating a refund had been processed.

The email I received is quoted below

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your review of our product(ASIN: B084QDWR4K) and report the issue you are experiencing. I completely understand how frustrated you are. I would feel the same if I were you.
We have forwarded your issue to our product department. They will re-test product quality and improve our product, include improve a difference of 2MM between the top mounting points of the OEM and this product. The product improvement process takes about 3-6 months.
On the other hand, we noticed that you didn't use the shock anymore. So could we refund the money to your account? Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

So sorry for the inconvenience and hope for your understanding.

Best regards,
Arashi Official store
Nancy

Back