• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Arashi Rear Shock Absorber - Has anyone installed

Another alarm bell went off when I saw that the Amazon listing for this shock says it’s for both NC700X and NC700S. Those two NC models do not spec the same amount of rear suspension travel. Perhaps the linkages are different and the shocks are the same. On the other hand, the shocks could be different, therefore the claim that this same aftermarket shock works with either NC model warrants further investigation.
Just confirming that yes, the X and S use the same shock with a different linkage.

My $0.02 is that shocks, like most motorcycle accessories, are vastly overpriced because the market will bear it. You could probably take a NOS shock from some 1970s streetbike and put it back there and nobody would notice.

Much like smartphones, shocks are basically commodities with very minimal variations in design. Manufacturers are well aware of the risks of commoditisation (where they then must compete on price alone), so they have historically tried to keep the consumer in the dark and come up with ever-vaguer marketing terms like 'pro link' and 'uni trak'. Unfortunately that makes it very hard to compare shocks against each other, so why not gamble with a cheap shock and see what happens? Name brands are just that - names and brands, until there's specific proof about one shock being superior to another one, it's all just smoke, mirrors, and credit cards.

Watching this thread with interest...

Last edited:
Hello Mates,

600 lbs/in spring rate on the spring. Adjustable rebound. I just bought it on from the same vendor, seems really well built! Going to use on a 2002 Gas Gas Pampera 250 2T!!

I just unpacked the shock but appear to be fully machined...
Great. I received mine last week but not had time to open it yet. Hopefully i would have time this weekend.

Please send pictures when installed and share the ride experience. I will do same once i get around to fitting it .

Thank you

Great. I received mine last week but not had time to open it yet. Hopefully i would have time this weekend.

Please send pictures when installed and share the ride experience. I will do same once i get around to fitting it .

Thank you
How did it work out? I'm looking at an Arashi front rotor for my 2012 NC700X on ebay for $99 new because mine got bent when I laid the bike down.

Hello Everyone.

I was looking at the Arashi Rear Shock Absorber on Amazon and its tempting. It is supposed to be a direct replacement. I contacted the seller and they were happy to respond to my enquiries.

They said it can be adjusted from 3 positions and they sent the picture below. The spring preload adjustment tool is also included.

Has any one tried this? No reviews on Amazon yet.

I replaced my front rotor last year with one from Arashi and it came well package and its been running great. Based on that i am seriously considering getting this.

View attachment 44088
I'm about to order an Arashi front rotor on ebay for $99 new after my existing one got bent in an accident. Thanks for the info.

I'm about to order an Arashi front rotor on ebay for $99 new after my existing one got bent in an accident. Thanks for the info.
Hi. I installed the Arashi front rotor in January and its been great. My old rotors had deep grooves. The rotor arrived very well package. Looked more expensive than the price paid. No regrets.

So....how's that shock working out? I always wonder when I read a post about some sketchy upgrade a dude is about to do on their motorcycle and then never see any more posts from them...lol...but seriously??

+1 following
The OEM shock has leaked out most (if not all) of it's oil after ~8 yrs of hard commuting. I have nothing against going back to another OEM shock, but it's hard to ignore the price on this.

+1 following
The OEM shock has leaked out most (if not all) of it's oil after ~8 yrs of hard commuting. I have nothing against going back to another OEM shock, but it's hard to ignore the price on this.
That’s interesting. My NC only made it 29,000 miles before all the oil leaked out of the stock rear shock.

+1 following
The cost of a high quality aftermarket shock isn't much more than what it would cost to replace with an OEM shock

Hello Guys. I have not had time to install it yet. Not had a free weekend in a long time. I was torn between doing it myself or taking it to the shop. Decided to take it to the shop. Looking at taking it to the shop on Saturday to get it done. I will post an update.

Hello Everyone. Went to the shop to have the shock replaced.

After the OEM rear shock were taken out and we compared it with the Arashi shock we noticed the widths of the mounting points don't match. The difference was too much.

I took a picture of them side by side of how they should be mounted as well as pictures showing the size in mm.

I have attached the pictures and i will be posting on Amazon so others can take note. Hopefully the seller can address this. Top.jpgOEM_and_ARASHI.jpgBottom.jpg.

Thanks for the follow up and pics. If the original shock ends are 28 mm and 39 mm while the new shock ends are 30 mm and 39 mm, It seems like that should work... The writing on the black plastic adjustor ring would be upside down but I think it would be on the top and easier to reach? I am really intrigued by the coil spacing and amount of travel on the Arashi shock. Is it just the photo, or are the coils a lot closer together where they might contact each other on a speedbump?

thanks again for posting the info since I need to replace the rear shock on my bike as well.

Back