• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

spark82

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I thought it'd be useful to start a thread for this mod, some people already made it, some are planning, and I thought I'll share my findings, too, and I didn't want to post it into the CBR shock thread. :) Useful info can be found there, that's why I linked it.
So, I've just made the test trip of about 50 miles, and I must say I'm sold. The shock I bought on eBay has only 2000 kms in it, it is like new. The procedure is quite easy, took about 40 mins to do it, based on the experiences of Ruggybuggy, I set the preload before mounting, it's near to the maximum, but there is still some room left to play. My experience is that the purchase I made (about 80$ including shipping) is worth every penny. Rear is now smooth and firm at the same time, damping is good, the bikes sticks to the road. Front forks have Ricor Intiminators in them, they show some weakness now with the rear sorted out, but still definetely better than without. Sag is a bit more than before, I did'nt measure it, but saw the low beam showing a bit higher on roadside objects. I weigh about 190 lbs with gear, mostly travel light and without passenger. Damping is set 12 clicks out from the hardest.

Bottom line: good, relatively cheap, and most important: works for me nicely, and feels good.

Last edited:
The best rear shock I ever had was on a replacement shock off a Yamaha XS1100 and put it on an XS750. It made the best riding rear end I have ever had. Smooth out the bumps real good.

I just bought this Aprilla shock today with less. 2,000 miles on it and it looks new and the best part is that it was on Craigslist less than 5 miles from my house. !!.Picked it up for. $60...

ru5u6aza.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update to anyone doing this:

I am 180lbs, maybe 185 depending how much beer I drink on a given weekend. I run a Top Box 24/7, though it's not heavily packed or anything.

The stock spring was no where near correct as far as setting sag. I ended up using 3 different springs (thankfully my race sponsor suspension shop was willing to repeatedly send me new springs until I found the correct one). Here's what I found:

Stock Sachs Spring Info
Length: 150mm
Diameter (interior): 57mm
Rate: .97kg

What ended up working for me
Ohlins
Length: 170mm this is important!
Diameter: 57mm
Rate: 115 (115 as its listed on the spring)

Here's why: The standard 150-160mm length spring from Ohlins is simply not long enough to work with our linkages. No matter how stiff you go (105 is stiffest a 160mm spring will go from Ohlins btw), it is simply too short and the travel of the linkage soaks up too much of the shock to begin with. What does that mean? That means you end up using a ton of preload before you even start working the spring. What you end up with is a bike that has too much sag, even though you have free sag (indicating the spring is not too stiff), but you have no more preload adjustment. You can solve this by doing two things: 1) Get a preload spacer or 2) a longer spring. I chose the latter.

So, for you 180lb riders, since I've done the leg work of running a .97kg Ohlins, a 100 a 105 and a 110 (all in 160mm), and finally a 115 in 170mm length -- I highly recommend you skip that process and call your local race shop, tell them you need a 170mm length Ohlins spring for your Tuono shock in a "115" rate. You won't be disappointed. :)

Just an update to anyone doing this:

I am 180lbs, maybe 185 depending how much beer I drink on a given weekend. I run a Top Box 24/7, though it's not heavily packed or anything.

The stock spring was no where near correct as far as setting sag. I ended up using 3 different springs (thankfully my race sponsor suspension shop was willing to repeatedly send me new springs until I found the correct one). Here's what I found:

Stock Sachs Spring Info
Length: 150mm
Diameter (interior): 57mm
Rate: .97kg

What ended up working for me
Ohlins
Length: 170mm this is important!
Diameter: 57mm
Rate: 115 (115 as its listed on the spring)

Here's why: The standard 150-160mm length spring from Ohlins is simply not long enough to work with our linkages. No matter how stiff you go (105 is stiffest a 160mm spring will go from Ohlins btw), it is simply too short and the travel of the linkage soaks up too much of the shock to begin with. What does that mean? That means you end up using a ton of preload before you even start working the spring. What you end up with is a bike that has too much sag, even though you have free sag (indicating the spring is not too stiff), but you have no more preload adjustment. You can solve this by doing two things: 1) Get a preload spacer or 2) a longer spring. I chose the latter.

So, for you 180lb riders, since I've done the leg work of running a .97kg Ohlins, a 100 a 105 and a 110 (all in 160mm), and finally a 115 in 170mm length -- I highly recommend you skip that process and call your local race shop, tell them you need a 170mm length Ohlins spring for your Tuono shock in a "115" rate. You won't be disappointed. :)

This is AWSOME info as I'm getting ready to order a spring .I was going to go with a Race Tech spring but I don't think they offer different lengths .What Was a ball park figure for the Ohlins spring $$$$ ??,I just had Cannon Racecraft make fork springs for my DS bike so maybe I will have them make a rear for the Sachs shock if the Ohlins is to much $$$.

I don't ride fast ,I ride far...

This is AWSOME info as I'm getting ready to order a spring .I was going to go with a Race Tech spring but I don't think they offer different lengths .What Was a ball park figure for the Ohlins spring $$$$ ??,I just had Cannon Racecraft make fork springs for my DS bike so maybe I will have them make a rear for the Sachs shock if the Ohlins is to much $$$.

If you call Barry Wressel at KFG (253.397.4474) he can get you an Ohlins spring. Tell him you want the Spring that he just ordered for "JP" It will be around $100 I think -- cheaper than the $140 I see online everywhere. Confirm with him that its the 170mm length, 115nm stiffness spring for the Aprilia Tuono. I just spoke with him yesterday about it, so he'll be aware.

The other bonus? He's from your neck of the woods, WA.

Last edited:
They only issue is that I weigh 265#,so we will have to calculate the spring rate.

Ah, yes. So, ask Barry what the standard weight is for a 265# rider, if a 180-185lb rider is using a 115nm spring for this particular application.

You may end up with a 180mm spring and a 120nm rate.

So I called KFG this morning and asked for Barry but he was busy but a nice lady help me out. I told her I wanted the same spring that was sent out in the "JP" order. Took a while to find it and confirmed the 170 length, 57 ID and 115 and was quoted $91 for the spring. I ordered it up and she said about 2 week until I would recieve it. It's going to be nice to get the better shock on.

I will call them later this winter,I have 2 other projects to finish up first.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.

I have to thank Antarius for doing the research in getting the correct spring. This is a great upgrade for the NC and I'm looking forward to being able to adjust my ride height and damping.

Thanks again!

Online the Ohlins springs go for around $130, but I think Barry Wressel will sell it to you at $90 or $100. Don't quote me on that, but somewhere in that range.

The shorter spring won't offer you enough length to properly work. It "worked," but I still had more preload on it than I wanted, to get my sag where I wanted it. The longer, 170mm spring, will work for you much much better.

To be fair, though, if you tell Racetech what diameter you need, they will get you a spring of any length as well, and in whatever stiffness you need. So that's an option....

Online the Ohlins springs go for around $130, but I think Barry Wressel will sell it to you at $90 or $100. Don't quote me on that, but somewhere in that range.

They sold me the spring for $91 plus $25 to ship it to MN. Only downfall is that it's going to take two weeks before I get it. When they sent me my receipt for the payment the invoice had a picture of a nunchuck wielding karate guy. What's up with that?

Last edited:
They sold me the spring for $91 plus $25 to ship it to MN. Only downfall is that it's going to take two weeks before I get it. When they sent me my receipt for the payment the invoice had a picture of a nunchuck wielding karate guy. What's up with that?

KFG RACING stands for "Known Fast Guy" racing - a term used for visiting racers. It's also an acronym for "Kung Fu Grip" and he's a race shop so it works both ways.

My KFG RACING spring came in today. The smaller one is the stock Aprillia Tuono spring.

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

To get the new spring on I had to use the spring compressor from work. I thought that the shocks adjustment rings would just thread out the bottom like my snowmobile shock but it doesn't. The rags are there to protect the paint on the new spring.

IMG_0915.JPG

New spring installed. I haven't had a chance to install it yet and not sure if I will get to ride before the snow hits.

IMG_0916.JPG

Luckily I have one ready to go !!.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.

Back