• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

I am about 190lbs and carried way too much stuff on my recent Utah trip. I went with the same length you did and 140 n/mm. You may be a little soft. If it squats during acceleration, you ARE too soft, other than that it is all about what feels good to you and your riding style.

The reservoir pushing on the plastic doesn't move in relation to the plastic execept for a very little bit of angle change as the shock compresses and extends. I saw no issues with mine after a lot of vigorous off road.
114nm is the stiffest Racetech offered and I couldn't get the suspension shop to return calls or emails. So I bought what I could. I do load it up occasionally but only for pavement. "Off road" is limited to dirt & gravel fire roads but even that's been a while. Sag measured about 1/4" too little so I have room to add some weight.

As far as squatting, I haven't noticed that in the 60 miles I've ridden it. The only negative is it was bouncy on a couple hard, high speed bump so I need to adjust the rebound.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Yes, there is a hierarchy of shock designs.
Watch the videos: Excellent Suspension Discussion

Good luck!

Thanks Krampus. Appreciate the link to the videos. I assume that all RSV and Tuono shocks are all pretty similar from year to year. I will look for a newer RSV reservoir shock, which should have just enough clearance to fit.

Last edited:
Hello, After reading this thread a couple times I have a question. If our bike is rated for X about of weight (Rider and Gear) will getting a shock tuned for our weight make a difference?
Would a shock built to support a 250lb rider make any difference to the bikes overall weight capacity, or is it just for performance. My stock shock is leaking so I'm trying to figure out if I need a $600 Ohlins or something else. All I know is I would love something better than the stock shock, just do not know how much better. I do not do any offroad. Mostly looking at interstate and surface road usage.

I guess the sprig is whats used for the custom weight? Been riding a long time and never had to mess with suspension. Seems like some sort of black magic.

Welll....
The three of us now have the Race Tech rear shock replacement with appropriate spring weight and the fork kits (gold valve emulators and springs).
Unfortunately we only have the return trip from the shop and a couple of errand miles on them. Two of us have had medical issues/injuries and the other has been working 6-7 12hr shifts a week.
Soon, very soon we keep saying.

Now we need to know what the suggested thing is to do with the old stuff?

Just change your rear shock oil, it can be done easy and you will not lose nitrogen presser. I use 7.5 wt oil

Can anyone tell me how long the RSV4 shock is?

Looking at pictures it appears to be length adjustable, which is a nice feature for sure. If possible I'd like to know min and max.

You could just ask me :). Stock is set at 305mm most people adjust it to 309mm. I think minimum is 300mm. Problem is it has an attached reservoir and doesn't quite fit under. The 2nd Gen Tuono or RSV (2 cylinder models) are emulsion tube and do fit.

A couple people here have used them. I'm willing to deal with a little clearancing in exchange for the better shock.

Everything I've read put the shock you used at the same 312 as stock, if it was 305 it was quite a bit shorter. On Aprilia forums I've seen various numbers suggested for the V4 shocks, mostly over 309.

No no I was referring to an RSV4 stock length. Not a 2nd Gen Tuono.

Anyhow, yes, the V4 Aprilia shocks are much better than the V2 Aprilia shocks.

Ohlins says their shock for the RSV4 is 310 +6/-0 so I'm guessing the stock one is pretty similar.

Does anyone have a stock shock off the bike and a caliper? I'd like to know the widths so I can make a set of spacers the right sizes.

Thank you. My bike is still at the shop having the forks done, and I'll be in the machine shop tonight, so I'll have a chance to make the right spacers for my RSV4 shock. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow or saturday and don't have too much trouble installing it.

i took a slightly less scientific approach, I just stacked washers and ground the last one down until it fit....

amateur tip: i wound up just superglueing the washers to the shock to make installation easier, especially on top.

if I wasn't going to be working a lathe tonight anyway I wouldn't bother with it, but it's a case of why not.

I might even end up surface grinding to final thickness - it means I don't have to deal with fixturing.

So, for anyone interested, I measured the RSV4 shock I picked up. 2016 version.

At the longest safe length per Aprilia, I get about 12.47 aka 317mm. It looks like it can be shortened approximately 7/16 aka 11mm.

Top is around .897 aka 22.8mm

Bottom is around 1.41 aka 35.8mm

travel to bumper is about 1.6 aka 41mm

bumper thickness is about .97 aka 25mm

I've yet to put it on the bike, which I'm picking up tomorrow night.

I don't have a centerstand. Might have to rig something up that attaches where it would.

Got it on.

Ended up just flipping the right footpeg upside down and using a floor jack under it. Worked great.

Didn't have to do any clearancing. It's close but not touching.

A piece of info that might be helpful: my suspension guy ordered a spring one size longer than what Racetech suggested, and it works great with no spacer etc. That'll save you a few bucks and looks better IMO.

Back