• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone used HiFlo air filter? opinion

My mechanic recommended the Hi-Flo filter. He knows more about the internals of a Honda than I do. He may not know more than others.

The price of The Honda filter is insane

It's perhaps unfortunate that the specific brand, Hiflofiltro is evidently confused with the generic term "high flow" ... But one could always search for the Hiflofiltro website if they were confuddled ; }

It's perhaps unfortunate that the specific brand, Hiflofiltro is evidently confused with the generic term "high flow" ... But one could always search for the Hiflofiltro website if they were confuddled ; }
Yes, I agree that Hiflofiltro’s name choice could cause them problems among potential customers that don’t do their homework.

I have been using a Hiflo air filter for 2 years, it works fine, does not cause over consumption and collects dust which means it does its job. (i don't drive dusty)

Attachments

• 1585766783505.png
    1585766783505.png
    312 bytes · Views: 14
  • 1585766839033.png
    1585766839033.png
    312 bytes · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'm simply referring to the oil impregnated washable filters; not any specific brand of this type.
These pass more air and dirt for a given surface area; end of story.
I put one on an 82 CB750F. It leaned out so badly the bike would fall flat on its' face w/any throttle setting above idle.
Carb equipped engines run best w/OEM intake(filter)/exhaust systems. FI eliminates that problem.

I'm simply referring to the oil impregnated washable filters; not any specific brand of this type.
These pass more air and dirt for a given surface area; end of story.
I put one on an 82 CB750F. It leaned out so badly the bike would fall flat on its' face w/any throttle setting above idle.
Carb equipped engines run best w/OEM intake(filter)/exhaust systems. FI eliminates that problem.
Understood. This thread is about paper element HiFlo filters made by Hiflofiltro. Your post said “Hi Flo is junk food“ using capital letters, so naturally we could assume you were talking about the same product, but apparently you were not. Oil impregnated washable filters are a different product.

The air cleaner controversy of OEM vs aftermarket is similar to both sides of the oil filter thread. Each side stakes their ground and builds sandbagged bunkers! :)

On many bikes there are aftermarket parts/supplies that are cheaper equivalents. You often pay an inflated price for the brand name. Is that controversial? ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
K&N replacement filters are safe and sure ! No damage has ever been proven by the use of a K&N REPLACEMENT air filter properly installed in a stock air box. I have used K&N for the last 50 years never had any issue nore have I ever been told by another rider that a replacement filter cause damage ,note I repeat replacement not change to airbox.
No damage proven is, well, improbable. But proven test results would be better, wouldn't you agree? If contaminants passing by the filter is the winning metric, then the K&N wins big!

Interesting read on the K&N filters specifically and "high flow" air filters in general...

From the International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering Science and Technology (2015)

K&N filter exhibits higher resistance to air flow compared to OEM filter in both new and clogged condition.

The difference in mechanical efficiency between the new OEM & K&N and clogged OEM &K&N filters were negligible

The filtering efficiency of the OEM filter was superior to that of the K&N filter. The decreased filtering efficiency of the K&N filter can be attributed to the increased pore size of the cotton gauze medium used in the filter.

As most of us probably figured out, the only way to increase flow in a filter is pretty simple: Make it more porous so it filters less!

Bingo! You now have a "high flow" filter that provides zero performance benefit but will allow larger objects to pass through to your engine...

What's not to like about that? ;-)

References
John Thomas, Brian West and Shean Huff;2013 “Effect of Air Filter Condition .Diesel Vehicle Fuel Economy” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0311.

John Thomas, Brian West and Shean Huff;2009“Effect of Intake Air Filter Condition on Gasoline Vehicle Fuel Economy” SAE Technical Paper ORNL/TM-2009/021

Jaroszczyk, T., J. Wake, and M. J. Connor, “Factors Affecting the Performance of Engine Air Filters,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power,pp. 693–699 (October 1993).

[4] Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), 1981 “Automobile Fuel Consumption in Actual Traffic Conditions”, OECD, Paris. pp.74–78.

[5] Atkinson, J., and Postle O., 1977 “The Effect of Vehicle Maintenance on Fuel Economy,” in Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine edited by Blackmore D. R. and Thomas A., Shell Research Limited, Thornton Research Center, Chester,United Kingdom.

[6] Bugli, N., 2001 “Automotive Engine Air Cleaners - Performance Trends,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1356.

[7] Patil, A. S., Halbe, V. G. and Vora, K. C., 2005 “A System Approach to Automotive Air Intake System Development”, SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-011, 2005.

[8]Bugli, N., Dobert, S., and Flora, S.,2007 “InvestigatingCleaning Procedures for OEM Engine Air Intake Filters,”SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1431.

[9] Society of Automotive Engineers Surface Vehicle Standard. J1082, "Fuel Economy Measurement Road Test Procedure," Issued 1974-04, Revised 1995-06.

[10] Society of Automotive Engineers Surface Vehicle Standard, J1491, "Vehicle Acceleration Measurement," Issued 1985-06, Reaffirmed 1995-03.

Everyone knows that company A can make a filer, be it air or oil, and then either put a different label on it or tweak the design a bit and then put a different label on it again.
Your K & N could be made by Yakimoto, and the OEM could be made there as well.
Do you know where your filter comes from??? I don't. And if you say you do, how and can you be 100% certain your right?
AN observation on a air filter without putting it under a microscope and/or measuring the CFM through it tells nothing!

Also if HIFLO, which has been in business for many many years, does make a no good filter, would it not be out of business by now??
I just love how on the internet everyone is knowledgeable about everything. And with oil and air filters its even worse.
I'm not saying you need to switch, but really? Using this filter will destroy your engine????
I wont even comment on what I use, because its like politics, religion, and global warming, I wont be able to change your mind and why would I try or even put up a fight about it.

NAPA brand oil is not made by NAPA. Its made by Valvoline, I think. Valvoline I think has good reputation. Would you use NAPA oil in your car?
Why not? AND if you say it is bad oil, if it had destroyed so many engines by now, wouldn't it be off the shelf and not available any longer, and possibly have a law suit against it??????

Dont use HI FLO I dont care, but how much do you really know about you own oil and air filters??

NAPA brand oil is not made by NAPA. Its made by Valvoline, I think. Valvoline I think has good reputation. Would you use NAPA oil in your car?
Why not? AND if you say it is bad oil, if it had destroyed so many engines by now, wouldn't it be off the shelf and not available any longer, and possibly have a law suit against it??????
No, I wouldn’t use NAPA oil in my car because it’s way overpriced. I usually buy Citgo oil with a rebate. I try not to spend much over $1/quart for car oil. Oil is oil as long as it meets the specs called for in the owner’s manual. I buy on price and don’t give a hoot about the brand. Big names and pretty oil bottles don’t impress me. My engines last as long as I care to own them, and I sleep well at night.

People put too much thought into something as simple as motor oil.

WOW! 670cc, be prepared to be put down for speaking your mind.
But bravo and happy money savings!

Last edited:
Just to add to the nonsense: my motorcycle got the coronavirus when I used the Hiflofiltro air filter! : {

Oh heck I forgot this wasn't an oil filter thread :rolleyes:

Before I get booted... what's the best oil fellas? :D

Back