• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone moving on from a cbr250r?

djsb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm part exchanging my CBR250R for a new NC750X (June delivery). I've not been able to test ride the NC yet and I'm worrying that I have not made the right choice.
My main reasons for moving to the NC is that the riding position of the CBR is too "sporty" and a lot of my weight is on the handlebars. Also there is not much room on the bike for my 6' 2" frame. My weight is 110Kg when I'm wearing my suit, rucksack,boots etc. Also the suspension not set up correctly for my weight and the handling actually changes as I fill up with petrol and when the tank empties.
I announced my purchase on the CBR250R forum and the response was that everyone really loves their CBR. I HAVE enjoyed riding the bike over the last 15 months but I've decided the bike does not fit me.
I REALLY hope that the more upright position of the NC will feel more comfortable for me and that I can tune the Showa suspension so that I can ride over the Potholes and speed humps of London.
Has anyone else moved on from the CBR250R to an NC700X/NC750X. If so, what are the main differences? Thanks.

I spent a couple days on a cbr250r. Several months on an old UJM. I'm 6'1" and the NC is way more comfortable.

The suspension definitely needs a bit of work, might be better than the 250 though. I'm quite satisfied with mine with a swap for a used f4i shock and the addition of cartridge emulators to the fork. We've got our share of potholes in Los Angeles :)

I've ridden a 2012 CBR250. I'm also 6'2" (I'll invite you to the tall people club). The CBR is so tiny and lightweight, it's almost like a Grom. Super easy to ride. However, the NC is certainly more comfortable for me, especially after the mods that I've done to make it fit me. Again, see the tall people group for a list of tall people mods. The NC is also more capable on the street, and especially on the highway.

I still have my CBR250RA with nearly 20.000 km on it. My NC700XAD has +18.000 km. I am 195cm (6'5") and +110kg :)
My NC is pretty much standard although i have the Touring screen, Heated grips, Centerstand and 45L Topbox all Honda original.

You are right about the seating position on the CBR, though is not a major problem for me. I still manage to do 300km trips with a 2 min. break.
For me NC is really comfortable and i have no problem running a full tank(+350 km) before a break.

A lot of people complain about the stock seat. But i consider it among the best stock seat of the few bikes i owned in recent years (Suzuki DL650, DL1000, GSF1250SA)
I traded my 1250 for the NC and love the DCT and the much better fuel consumption.

I'm sure you will be happy with the 750X

Last edited:
I traded my 2012 CBR250R for my 2012 NC700X. I am 6' and traded for much the same reasons you did. I think you will like the NC. It's more upright riding position, the additional storage with options for more storage, etc and the mileage is as good or even better.

I had a 2011 CBR250RA (new 2011 in Oct 2011) and kept it until May 2013. I had a great time on the bike and glad i started on it.
(came from scooters 50cc to 150cc to 500cc) i am 6ft 180lb. The ergo on the 250 was ok but i wanted something more upright and more
comfy hwy riding. The 250 would do it but was maxed out at 145kph (at 8.5k rpm nothing left to give) The 250 was tough on the hwy also because
of the wind and it being small and light. Was really kicked around and had to lay on tank alot to escape the worst of the winds.

I went thru a succession of bikes in 2013. Starting with a 2013 Ninja 650. Was an ok bike. good ergo. good power. But the knee bend was a bit much.
Was a bit mismatched with the sportbike like knee bend but more upright seating. I also gave the Versys 650 a try but did not like its top heavy and tallness
of the bike.

so in March this year i finally found the perfect bike for me. I have the 2014 NC750S and just love it so much. Perfect ergo for me with just enough forward lean and
comfy knee bend.

I didn't "move on", and it's not a 250, but I trust the sentiments are within context, and appropriate for the thread topic.

I have my trusty and much loved 2007 CBR 125R as the NCX's stablemate. :)

Believe it or not, I would be hard pressed to decide if forced, which bike to give up, if I had to choose...

I have a CBR250RA in the garage. It's not mine but my wife's. I have done a decent amount of riding on it. I'm 180cm and maybe 95kg in gear. On the CBR I feel that the suspension is being seriously overworked and I get a fair bit of harshness. The NC is better for me in that regard but it could do with a bit of an upgrade. One the cheap end that could be done with a set of springs up front and in back because of the rider weight that the bike is set up for stock. I'm probably going to go a little further than that but for commuting use more than the springs wouldn't be needed at all.

I do feel a bit like a clown riding one of those little circus bikes when on the CBR. It feels a bit small for me but it's perfectly sized for my wife - 165cm. Stock with no mods, the NC is way more upright than the CBR. The CBR is in no way full on sport bike but it is more hunched over. I also find myself having to squeeze my elbows in so that I can see behind me on the CBR. However, you shouldn't be putting so much weight on your wrists anyways - you need to use your core (abs and back) to hold you up.

I've taken the CBR on to the highway and it gets up to speed (~65-75 MPH) fine but I feel a bit underpowered at those speeds with not too much extra for acceleration if needed. The NC gets there and still has oomph to accelerate. Coming from a stop the torque of the NC is great and I get up to speed with less drama than the CBR.

If it was for me, then I would pick the NC over the CBR. If I was going to pick a CBR it would be the 500 or at least the newer CBR300 that hasn't come to the US yet. The 250 is fine for city use and light expressway riding. I wouldn't want to be on the highway a lot with it. Maybe, if you were half my (or your) weight that might work.

Back