• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

anybody mounted analog thermometer on handlebar?

W

wildeone

anybody mounted analog thermometer on handlebar?
something like this or similar

View attachment 22885

wonder how that fits and look with digital speedo,
not sure about it...

I had one of those on a Harley I had. It worked for a while and then went into self destruct mode. Just use your smart phone for updates.

I prefer analogue to digital for some things, one of those being a thermometer. It's just hard for me to like digital thermo displays.

I have seen similar ones like that, wildeone, but they were just way too expensive for my fickle self to justify buying. I don't need them to be so pretty, just work properly, but not look like I stole it off of an old oven, or a back porch door lol :eek:

I just ask siri though my communication device what the temperature is. Works every time with no problems. Do have a cheap $1.99 compass from Pep Boys that works great.

Oxford has a digital temp gauge that is fairly small and its face would match the digital on the NC dash.

I like to know the temperature of the air I'm in, not the temp 10 or 20 miles away at the nearest reporting station. I have used those handlebar mounted thermometers but if the sun shines on them they aren't very accurate so try and mount it in a shady spot like under the speedo pod.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/2074-air-temperature-gauge.html

Last edited:
I bought a cheap digital one from Walmart for a trip last year on my Concours. It was like $5 or $6. One of those with the suction cup. I stuck it on the tank of my Connie and it stayed there from Houston to Minnesota and Michigan and back. It was mainly accurate from the take off in the mornings because where I stuck it it picked up engine heat and was in direct sunlight at times. I remember we stopped at a Radio Shack in Michigan somewhere and when we got back to the bikes it was showing 123 degrees and it was probably about 80.

I've thought about the same thing! I've looked on Amazon for a while for the 'right' combo of compass and thermometer, but haven't seen quite the right one. Ideally, it would mount under the gauges (out of direct sunlight), and be either a single unit or two that wouldn't look like apples and oranges in that space. I 'could' use the smart phone, but like the idea of being able to see it without stopping and fumbling for my phone. I really do like the look of an old school compass that sticks with a suction cup though.. If anybody sees one like that with a built in thermometer, please let me know? Don't care as much about the actual temperature as much as I care about whether it's freezing or not. If all I could find was a classic looking stick on compass, with a decent 'blue' LED, I'd probably be happy..

Mine

9430fb2d2d1ee98b3667357aef56e927.jpg

1dd0016538c7a431b576b0eda80c2f50.jpg

nice, where did you get it? While riding in winter it's good to track freezing point.

The oxford digital it's awful, look at this review:

[video=youtube;BEb3kuyVMow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEb3kuyVMow[/video]

Fine even in daylight. Of course with sun directly on it, much worse... But I care about the could and freeze...
I got it on eBay (from China) for 4 or 5 euros.
I made a water treatment. One year riding every day with hot cold and water... No problem...
The reading temperature is fine, just when you stop the bike, the warm of the engine change a little bit. But this is normal... I think is on good position...!!

Soon is possible, I'll take a pic on daytime

I prefer analogue to digital for some things, one of those being a thermometer. It's just hard for me to like digital thermo displays.

I have seen similar ones like that, wildeone, but they were just way too expensive for my fickle self to justify buying. I don't need them to be so pretty, just work properly, but not look like I stole it off of an old oven, or a back porch door lol :eek:
Hi, sorry for hijacking but speaking about analogue....
I fully understand people have different opinions about digital vs analogue presentation of number ( figures? ,values? I don't really speak English :) ) and personally I have nothing against a digital thermometer or a scale. I think digital fine for a ( temporary) static presentation. An analogue thermometer is however in my eyes often better looking :)
Digital speedometers, I do not like. But a lot of people think they are fine.
I find them distracting with the erratic read-out presented to me. For me an analogue speedo is sufficiantly exact and easy to read with just a glimpse. In Europe where I live and the speedos show km/h the digits will change more often than if the speedo shows mph. About 60% more often I guess as 1 mile equals 1.6 km. I'm not much of a scientist :)
Anyone got an analogue speedo on your NCX? I have seen analogue GPS speedos on ebay. Is there any other solution apart from just getting used to digital?
I don't own the NCX today but the digital speedo will not stop me from getting the bike.

Last edited:
Here's the one I use. Looks fine, costs $10. Pretty small, so if your eyes are as aged as mine I don't suggest you try to read it while you're riding. After a couple of years I know about where the needles is going to be for any particular temp. Black on black bar reads way too hot if the bike's been parked in the sun; ride a few miles before you believe it. Thermometer Clip :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

I use a Garmin Tempe to send the temperature wirelessly to my Garmin GPS, as a bonus it also gets logged along with GPS tracking data.

Back