• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any way to bypass the kickstand safety(?) switch?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
After watching a couple YouTube videos and talking to the dealer I decided to just replace the kickstand on my wife's 2016 DCT with the freshly shortened and welded kickstand that I made out of her old one.

In the process I broke the safety switch that tells the DCT that the kickstand is in the UP or DOWN position. Consequently it assumes that the kickstand is DOWN and will not allow me to shift it into drive. The switch is in a plastic assembly and the plastic assembly is what broke.

I tried changing to MANUAL mode and using the paddle shifters but that didn't work either. Anyone have a solution so I can drive it to the dealer to have him put a new switch on because clearly I'm an idiot?

Uh ... never mind

After posting this question I found my answer ... on these very forums.

LINK TO THREAD of people who had this problem and solved it --> https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/bypass-kickstand-switch.11298/

BUT, if you don't want to read about the misfortunes of others here is the answer to a temporary solution:

If you have already destroyed the switch I presume the remains of it are just hanging there. The switch works by closing two contacts when the side stand is up so just cut the two wires to the switch body and connect them to resume engine operation until you replace the switch. The new switch will come with new wires to the 2 pin connector which is tucked out of the weather and secured from getting tangled in the chain.

I ended up cutting it off as close to the switch mechanism as possible, stripping a bit off the ends, twisting them together and then sealing them with electrical tape.

What I didn't realize was how hard it would be to get to the bits, ended up taking a side panel off, to do the job.

I ended up cutting it off as close to the switch mechanism as possible, stripping a bit off the ends, twisting them together and then sealing them with electrical tape.

What I didn't realize was how hard it would be to get to the bits, ended up taking a side panel off, to do the job.

Did mine laying on ground with it on center stand. Only reason I done mine was bc I took a shortened kickstand off to put oem length back on and didn't know how to get the kickstand off. Ended up.backing the main bolt/nut or whatever it was out and crushing the kickstand sensor so it was stuck like the kickstand was down and wouldn't go anywhere without going dead Lol.

Did mine laying on ground with it on center stand. Only reason I done mine was bc I took a shortened kickstand off to put oem length back on and didn't know how to get the kickstand off. Ended up.backing the main bolt/nut or whatever it was out and crushing the kickstand sensor so it was stuck like the kickstand was down and wouldn't go anywhere without going dead Lol.
Well I watched videos of how to do it correctly and still managed to do what you did! :oops:

Gotta back that kickstand sensor bolt out of the back side first! It threads into the main bolt. It's a weird design for sure. I cursed a lot when doing it. LOL

Gotta back that kickstand sensor bolt out of the back side first! It threads into the main bolt. It's a weird design for sure. I cursed a lot when doing it. LOL
I was trying to do that but the plastic part sort of twisted and definitely cracked!

Weird design is an understatement.

It will be replaced in due time. But it works just fine and I don't really see any safety issue the way it is now.

Back