• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another windshield question

It was not the cheapest route but I installed the factory Tour with the aftermarket Tour spoiler on my 12X, think it was MRA 6" tall 15"wide. I am 6-4 and the stock was a joke no matter where it was. With the factory tour it improved but still had issues. The 2 links on the spoiler allow me to adjust angle and height that really help me tailor the air flow needed. Around town in the summer its lowered and air flow helps with the cooling. In cold weather and or long highway rides its up and depending on the angle gives a comfortable pocket with out wind noise. Had looked at the other aftermarkets that would have been less and better at reducing buffeting but would have limited adjustment.

So, the OEM mirrors are a possible suspect on wind noise / buffeting issues?
My 700x is a 2014, all OEM ,windshield / screen and mirrors.....just FYI.

For a stock wind screen that is too short: An inexpensive possibility would be to purchase a set of wind screen risers ($25). Besides raising a stock screen by 1 1/2", the additional air flow coming from underneath the risers helps to fill in some of the vacuum created behind the screen, so buffeting is lowered and the air flow over the top is raised a bit because without the heavy vacuum behind the screen the flow over the top isn't pulled down and in so strongly. It worked for me once, but on another occasion, didn't, so I returned the risers. It was a win-win in both situations.

That is what I did after installing the factory Tour screen, tape and cardboard.

You'll be visible with that shield! The edge tape will produce dirty air however, which is nosier than the more laminar flow a 'clean' shield will give.

The 'dirtiest' vehicle to be near is a loaded car carrier. At 60+ MPH you will be bounced all over the lane. An empty carrier however, is 'cleaner' than a tractor trailer.
I still prefer a TALL clear shield. Getting air OVER one's helmet at any speed allows the sound of the engine to be heard. Without helmet noise riding is truly enjoyable.

Green Lights Blue Skys. Happy 2022 New Year.

Last edited:
I'm about 6" tall and bought a bike with an extended windshield and an extension. I never liked the feel of the airflow so I went back to the stock windshield in its lowest position and, like you, find it much more enjoyable. I have stock mirrors and bark busters and am very happy with the ride.

I have a stock windshield mounted in the high position and a spoiler mounted on top of that. The buffeting is bad to say the least and I have done a lot of playing with the spoiler; on, off up down and a lot of places in between. When I stand up, my head gets to clear air and all the buffeting stops and it’s kind of nice. Is there a way to achieve this clean air without buying a new windshield?
I’ve got a 2021 I pick up next week. Please confirm that the stock windshield has two positions it can be set at. I haven’t seen anything in Honda’s advertising saying that this is the case.

Is there anyone with a 2021 Nc750 who can tell me whether the bike has an adjustable windshield? Thanks.
It is not adjustable without the use of aftermarket brackets and even then the adjustment range is small...maybe 2". Hardly worth messing with.

here is the stock bracket

72K50hx.jpg

Just my 2 cents on the topic but I removed a 19" windshield (the one in my avatar) off my NC when I bought it and replaced it with the tiny stock one which is hardly taller than the one in post #3 and have never looked back. To have your head below the buffeted air produced by a windshield on a bike as upright as the NC you need a huge windshield, 21-25" depending on your height. This is typically hundreds of dollars and still not guaranteed to satisfy you. When raindrops collect on the windshield you'll get plenty of glare from oncoming headlights too which can be dangerous at night.
On the windiest of days, I personally prefer having the wind throwing me about unpredictably with my hands on the handlebars of a reasonably aerodynamic bike, rather than me hidden behind a huge sail which is being unpredictably thrown about by the wind, if that makes sense.
For taking clean air a good quality, well-fitted, quiet helmet is paramount, with earplugs for motorways speeds.

2wJ..... here are the 2 shields I normally run, On the left is my summer shield, on the right is my winter/touring shield. The factory stock shield is in the middle.

sb2eIGJh.jpg

Summer Shield

AnFM2zDh.jpg

Winter/Touring shield

0r9Qzhch.jpg

Each has advantages and disadvantages depending on climate/riding conditions.

2wJ..... here are the 2 shields I normally run, On the left is my summer shield, on the right is my winter/touring shield. The factory stock shield is in the middle.

sb2eIGJh.jpg

Summer Shield

AnFM2zDh.jpg

Winter/Touring shield

0r9Qzhch.jpg

I’m curious as to where the wind is directed towards with your summer shield. Since seeing your post before, I’ve debated on cutting down the stock shield for summer use.

I’m curious as to where the wind is directed towards with your summer shield. Since seeing your post before, I’ve debated on cutting down the stock shield for summer use.
The summer shield just keeps with wind pressure off my stomach up to about my breastbone. Sort of like riding a naked bike with plenty of airflow and clean air around your helmet. Makes wearing a vented jacket in the summer worthwhile. I've always liked the wind though

summer shield on my FJR

rNJSL2dh.jpg

Summer shield on my ST 1300

bK5k7GFh.jpg

summer shield on my FZ-1

c9FF0qwh.jpg

2wJ..... here are the 2 shields I normally run, On the left is my summer shield, on the right is my winter/touring shield.

0r9Qzhch.jpg

Question: how its riding with the givi? I have the same on my 2014 model (came with that) but the previous owner places a rod in the middle to act i guess either as a reinforcment or more likely as a mountin support for a navigator.

Im wondering if the rod had shrinked the screen because at highway speed there is a lot of turbulence coming to me mostly on my shoulders and it feels strange that a screen for highway touring makes it. Its quite unconfortable and makes me wobble a bit.

But its my first bike and i have no experience so im counting on yours

Question: how its riding with the givi? I have the same on my 2014 model (came with that) but the previous owner places a rod in the middle to act i guess either as a reinforcment or more likely as a mountin support for a navigator.

Im wondering if the rod had shrinked the screen because at highway speed there is a lot of turbulence coming to me mostly on my shoulders and it feels strange that a screen for highway touring makes it. Its quite unconfortable and makes me wobble a bit.

I'm guessing since this is your first bike, you are not used to being hit by oncoming air lol.

Are you sure what you have is a Givi? The Madstat comes with a bar across it for mounting a GPS or ? The Givi mounts directly to the originals brackets thru the original windshield screw holes while the Madstat requires additional bracketry with the windshield mounting to that.

Windshields are funny things. Physics tells us that air encountering a windshield will bounce around the shield spilling up over the top and out around sides. Think of water in a creek encountering a boulder. This creates a dead air space behind it. The bigger the windshield the larger the dead air space. The taller or wider the rider the larger the dead air space needs to be to avoid wind buffeting the rider. It also depends on the distance from the shield that the rider is sitting. The closer the rider is to the shield, the more the air is likely to be deflected around him. Wind coming up off/around the shield, mingles with the clean air coming straight back and creates dirty air, which makes you wobble.

You can test where the wind goes by putting your hand behind your shield like you are catching a baseball, and then lifting your hand until you feel the wind hitting it, and then by feeling the pressure as you pull your hand back towards your head/body. If it hits you in the forehead, your head will wobble and in order to avoid that you need either taller or a shorter shield. A taller shield will push the dirty air higher, perhaps over your head, while a shorter shield will allow that dirty air to hit you below your helmet and will put your head in the clean air.

I am short, my Givi does fine for me when touring or in the winter pushing the dirty air over my helmet for the most part, while my cut down summer shield lets the dirty air hit me in the chest allowing my helmet to be in clean air. The stock Honda shield looked great on the bike, but put the dirty air right in my face. It was too tall AND too short for me. It was not good for touring or summer riding, with my head always in dirty air.

Some guys like no air and run the biggest "barn door" shields they can find. Personally, especially in the summer, I enjoy the air. I also ride a naked bike with no shield at all in warmer weather.

Finding the right height/width shield to give you just the amount of air you want can be time consuming and expensive

Long winded, but I hope this answers your question.

The original Givi screen that went on the 2012 NC, and perhaps the 2014 (same mount) as I recall was a bit of a disaster, and by the way did not include a cross-rod. Instead of being short like the stock screen, or being tall like a touring screen, the Givi was mid height, thus directing the wind blast at the upper chest or neck area. This led to a lot of noise and perhaps helmet buffeting.

Any Givi designed for the 2016-2020 NC bodywork, or 2021-2023, may indeed be a different design and direct comparisons could be meaningless.

I'm guessing since this is your first bike, you are not used to being hit by oncoming air lol.

Yes i'm not. Previous experience were all on scooters, with no issues, but the speed were lower. It's the first time i get up to highway speed, i was expecting air yes but not constant turbulence, more like an uniform pressure.

Are you sure what you have is a Givi? The Madstat comes with a bar across it for mounting a GPS or ? The Givi mounts directly to the originals brackets thru the original windshield screw holes while the Madstat requires additional bracketry with the windshield mounting to that.

Pretty sure: 20230220_080838.jpg
it's the D1111ST, the correct model for my '14 NC.
The rod in the middle it's clearly an addition and not a stock part. I've looked at it more today and it doesn't look parallel to the handlebar and the dash, so i'm guessing my theory of it bending the screen is possibile.
Also, if i turn the bike full lock to the left, the brake reservoir rubs on the screen (i guess it shouldn't?)

I am short, my Givi does fine for me when touring or in the winter pushing the dirty air over my helmet for the most part, while my cut down summer shield lets the dirty air hit me in the chest allowing my helmet to be in clean air. The stock Honda shield looked great on the bike, but put the dirty air right in my face. It was too tall AND too short for me. It was not good for touring or summer riding, with my head always in dirty air.

I'm 173 (5,7) so not exactly a giant, and with this screen my torso is covered but the air hits the helmet. No dirty air, just noise (I've just bought earplugs to try and reduce it). All the dirt air is on my shoulder and on my arms.

You can test where the wind goes by putting your hand behind your shield like you are catching a baseball, and then lifting your hand until you feel the wind hitting it, and then by feeling the pressure as you pull your hand back towards your head/body. If it hits you in the forehead, your head will wobble and in order to avoid that you need either taller or a shorter shield. A taller shield will push the dirty air higher, perhaps over your head, while a shorter shield will allow that dirty air to hit you below your helmet and will put your head in the clean air.

Tried that briefly, but i can't work out where it came from (i dont feel that safe yet one hand driving at 100kph+, it's still my first bike and i've done less than 500km on it). This is the cockpit and the handguards if anyone has ideas or suggestions:

20230220_080847.jpg20230220_080850.jpg

The issues with windshields are many and varied and affected by the most unlikely aspects of the motorcycle and the rider. Helmet type, mirrors, steering tunnel, distance from the rider, rider seated height, shield angle or height and of course shield suitability. There are probably others.

I recall my friend going through hell and high water with the shield on his former CB500X. It was the model prior to the current one with the 19" front wheel. He tried different brackets, different shields, angles, heights etc etc. Nothing worked. The other day I took his brand new 23 model to run it in for him. The shield on that was perfect for me. One of the best I have ever used, and better than both my Strom and my X-Adv. I mentioned it to him. he agreed, it is also good for him, but has no idea what changes to the current model achieved the result.

The screen on my 16 Strom was dire. After much research I got an 18 model shield and it was a good improvement but not perfect. An aftermarket addition to the bottom of the shield on my X-Adv made a significant improvement. It was designed and printed off by an X-Adv owner in Greece.

Sometimes a change of shield, change of mirrors, adding a tankbag, all or individually can help. However it takes a lot of research and perhaps some spend to get there.

Back