• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another windshield question

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a stock windshield mounted in the high position and a spoiler mounted on top of that. The buffeting is bad to say the least and I have done a lot of playing with the spoiler; on, off up down and a lot of places in between. When I stand up, my head gets to clear air and all the buffeting stops and it’s kind of nice. Is there a way to achieve this clean air without buying a new windshield?

Take the windshield off and try riding it like that.

I took a stock windshield and cut 4 or 5 inches off of it and use it for my summer shield.

zWP7dckh.jpg

PLoiEZch.jpg

I have a shield 5" taller than stock ordered for my winter/touring shield.

If the air coming off the screen is directed at your neck or face, regardless of spoiler position, I think you’ll need a different height windscreen. Either cut down the stock windscreen and go with no spoiler, for clean but plentiful air flow, or go with a taller screen plus spoiler to direct the air over your head.

Hello L: I'm enjoying your grey panels on my 750, thank you. The stock screen is not so great. I had the Puig touring screen on my prior 700, but that was so bad, I took it off and left it in a motel in San Diego. In the warm weather, I put on the Puig short sport screen, and I get that nice smooth air flow, which you also get if you ride with no screen. The Puig short screen is great for local riding, but it's wearing when I go on trips or longer rides. I recently installed a Madstad screen, and this has made everything much better, especially in cooler weather. Air flow is not as smooth as the Puig short screen, but I can comfortably ride long distances.

Take the windshield off and try riding it like that.

I took a stock windshield and cut 4 or 5 inches off of it and use it for my summer shield.

zWP7dckh.jpg

PLoiEZch.jpg

I have a shield 5" taller than stock ordered for my winter/touring shield.
Which taller windshield did you order ?
( I am cutting my stock one shorter just like yours ) !!

I ordered the Givi but there aren't a lot of choices for the 2021's right now.

Do yourself a favor, before cutting your windshield, take it off, and go for a ride without it, and see if it meets your desired effect.

I never thought about the mirrors. Windshield will be moved to the low position and deflector taken off this weekend. I’ll also play with the mirrors, but I’ll replace rather than do without. I don’t like the idea of riding without mirrors.

I never thought about the mirrors. Windshield will be moved to the low position and deflector taken off this weekend. I’ll also play with the mirrors, but I’ll replace rather than do without. I don’t like the idea of riding without mirrors.
One more air quality factor is handguards, if you have them, and how they interact with the mirrors and windscreen. When I remove the handguard plastics for the summer, the bike’s wind noise is quieter.

Wil do ,
What did you cut the windshield with ?
There is a 1/4" band saw here at work.
We (my younger brother and I) use a hand held jig saw with a fine tooth blade. Be sure and cover the shield with green frog tape (easy to peel off leaves no residue). Make sure the line you are following is straight and level, finish the edge with a block and some medium sandpaper, then fine sandpaper. Take your time and don't hit the sandpaper on the surface of the shield. Only the edge. We have done shields for my FZ-1, my ST 1300, my FJR and now the NC 750 like this. I like shorty shields in the summer. Quieter and smoother air. Of course when it gets cold or on a long trip I like some extra protection.

K5itmiTh.jpg

5IqVWU9h.jpg

1CQAFCeh.jpg

I removed the deflector and moved the windshield to its lower position. Seems better on a short ride. Time will tell.

Highly subjective and what works great for one will not work for another. That said, if you punkin’s in the turbulent air you can either go taller ( puts head head below turbulence) or lower (head above turbulence). Cool weather you’ll likely want to go taller. That said, some bikes just seem to generate more than others. Had a bike years ago that I like to never have found “clean” air on-took Five different screens before I found what worked for me, YMMV

2021 OEM Windscreen $120 shipped by air from Europe.
from Europe ... Inpreda ... turkey/czech

Its about 7 inches taller than the stock windshield. I am 5'7" with boots on , inseam 30".
It sits right at my nose. IMO, very good to excellent. A little air around the side at shoulder
which is just fine, slight tapping on the helmet. Will place small deflector on top. I ordered
smoked, this is about a medium smoke , I prefer a light smoke but its a keeper.

UPDATE: Not many miles, but testing confirms , this MC/Configuration is the best since
my old BMW 60/6 with the Windjammer knockoff. Haven't decide if I will cut the new
windshield lower and use the small deflector or leave just the windshield, need more riding
time. Much better than the Madstad on 2012 CTX. The new Madstad for 2021 nc750x
'appears' to be a much tighter better design than previous ones.

Attachments

• IMG_0904-1.jpg
    IMG_0904-1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Air traveling over the top of a shield (and over the helmet) is all that matters for a quiet ride.
A tall clear shield vs dark does not detract from the original look of a bike.
Ideal height is while just looking over the top of the shield (looking through is dangerous) having 1 1/2 car lengths to the road surface ahead. Both Parabellum.
2D74925F-187C-4058-BEFA-8B3DB4D9CF8D.jpeg

Attachments

• 3B8B5C77-644C-474D-9BAA-AA37597B0ACB.jpeg
    3B8B5C77-644C-474D-9BAA-AA37597B0ACB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Air traveling over the top of a shield (and over the helmet) is all that matters for a quiet ride.
A tall clear shield vs dark does not detract from the original look of a bike.
Ideal height is while just looking over the top of the shield (looking through is dangerous) having 1 1/2 car lengths to the road surface ahead. Both Parabellum.
View attachment 47636
I caution against making absolute statements like, “Air traveling over the top of a shield (and over the helmet) is all that matters for a quiet ride.” I dealt with a madstad problem where air coming in from lower outside corners of the shield was disturbed by the handguards and possibly the mirrors, hitting me in the upper chest and neck area and causing helmet noise. The noise was not from air coming over the top of the shield.

......air coming in from lower outside corners of the shield was disturbed by the handguards and possibly the mirrors, hitting me in the upper chest and neck area and causing helmet noise. The noise was not from air coming over the top of the shield.

That is secondary lower velocity air. Air over the shield and into the helmet is the noisiest because it has the most velocity. But I'll concede air hitting the helmet from any other direction will be 'dirty' vs smooth and noisier than smooth.
air moving at the same speed.
I was hit by a side draft once so hard it knocked me into the next lane. The loud updraft came up under my full face helmet knocking the 1 piece lens out of my safety glasses. It scared the be-Jesus out of me.
I thought I had been struck by lightning with the sudden burst of sun light.
Good discussion.

Last edited:
So far I’m liking the stock windshield on the lowest position, much less turbulence than with the deflector. A little more force on my chest, but overall more enjoyable.

Back