• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air Bag Motorcycle Jackets!

1. I have also forgotten it was on and gotten off the bike. It did not inflate.

2. As the weather warms up I wonder if the vest will block the mesh vents on my summer jacket.

I suppose a hit air mesh would solve that, but I am not crazy about spending another 600 dollars.

3. I have some Olympia riding gear, which is sturdy. I posted on their Facebook page asking if they had considered working with hitair or Helite. They said liability concerns were too much.

Well, it got a road test.
I was on a narrow hilly road with no places with enough visibility for a U turn, so I pulled onto a side road, stupidly failing to notice it was (a) very loose gravel and (b) steeply sloped. Tried to U on that and rear wheel slid, down I went. Too much gas, front turned too much.

Got one leg cut where the peg hit my shin. Also a small cut on left knee, which the armor should have prevented. I guess it had shifted.

I was on my drz, which is light, so no problem picking it up.

Airbag inflated properly, did not even notice. I honestly don't know if it helped. I landed on my left side, so it probably cushioned the fall.

Rode home and replaced the co2 cartridge, which is easy but costs ten dollars.

Lesson: the darn bike turns so tightly it is easy to U turn, there was no reason to pull off.

Last edited:
I am also considering an airbag vest or jacket. I have been riding for over 40 years, luckily my worst accident was at a stop sign when I was 18. Took six months to heal my badly broken leg. So now I am thinking in investing in some sort of air bag. I see the vests at 400 and the whole jacket at 529. To me that's not a lot of difference. I am glad we have started a discussion about these they probably will be something in the future standard on many types of jackest

I did splurge and buy the hit air mesh jacket. It is certainly not light weight, but it is cool. The air bag system is a little bigger (more coverage) than my Helite vest.

The advantage over the vest is that there is no additional garment to take off or put on, or carry with you.

The disadvantage is that it is just one jacket, so you sort of have to choose a summer or winter garment. You can wear the vest over a mesh jacket, a leather jacket, a water proof winter coat, or whatever.

Another disadvantage is that with the vest you can put the back armor in the vest so that the jacket is more comfortable off the bike.

The main difference between hitair and Helite is the attachment system.

Helite uses a loop system like Rok straps. Simple and strong.

Hitair uses a complicated system that threads the cable through a clip that you tighten. It does not seem that durable.

Last edited:
i was with some guys this weekend on a ds ride on some dual track roads.

he stopped over a hole, put his foot down and over he went.

what was funny is he was on the ground when the cord pulled and poof. pretty funny.

I think I read about them. Helite makes a hip air pad for people with balance problems that works on a sensor, so they know how to do it.

I bought a Helite jacket 'pre-owned but unused' at a significant savings (He won it at a BMW rally, but couldn't get the proper size for him).

My back of the envelope calculations have me moving 12.7 ft before full inflation at 80 mph or 9.5 ft at 65mph (100 millisecond inflation time). The Alpinestars sensor airbag has inflation at 55 to 85 milliseconds while the Dainese sensor system claims 40 milliseconds (for roughly $2,500?).
IMG_2122.jpg

Last edited:
Back