• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

After market fuel/gas tank

Welsh Nomad

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket fuel/gas tank available for the NC750X. Even though the bike is very good on gas the tank is still a bit small to give a comfortable 200 mile range when loaded with panniers and doing highish speeds on the motorways of Europe. I'd like a bigger tank if they are available.

Mike

Mike,

I know exactly what you mean. As a temporary fix I'm going with a Rotopax on the pannier Rotopax Fuel & Fluid Packs > Winding Roads Ltd but want a larger tank. I'm going to speak to a friend and see if he can make ma a larger ally one to replace the standard tank. I'm hoping to make better use of the space where the original fits and drop it down below the rear struts slightly. If I can get another 1 1/2 to 2 gallons in there I'll be happier.

I'll post on here if he can do them.

Normally it is fine but I think that for touring on the continent it a bit small. I think there is plenty of room to make the tank fatter as there is a massive gap between the tank and the back wheel and I think there is space under the seat as well. I am thinking of a carrier on the back of one of my panniers to hold a halg gallon but I am not comfortable with having petrol strapped to the bike in an exposed position, especially if touring in a hot country. Don't think the insurance company would be best pleased either.
Mike

After market fuel cans are about all I have seen "for sale". A manufacture of a fuel product has a lot of rules and regulations to jump though, and there is always that attorney who will sue.

A pain stopping to pour, but these do work for a distance up to 250 miles at highway speeds. I have ran into that situation twice - Baja, Mexico and Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Picture crossing the Sea Of Cortez near Baja, Mexico.

FerryRide.jpg

FerryAtPort.jpg

FerrySeaofCortez.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that guys. I'll look into these cans.

I have a friend who is having a new tank made for a Ducati Monster 900 outfit so his contact may be able to make one. Just got to convince the insurance company and find out how the warranty would be affected.

I bought:
1. riding lawn mower gas tank (1.5 gallons) on ebay to mount in my top box (with a hole drilled in the bottom of the top box)
2. A shut off valve that I put inline
3. 1/4 inch fuel hose from Advanced Auto
4. An OEM gas cap that I cut a hole into so that the 1/4 fuel hose feeds into and down into the gas tank.

Now when I go for an extended trip I can put the 'fuel cell' in the top box and when the OEM tank gets low on fuel, I can reach under the top box and open the fuel valve and let the fuel gravity drain into the tank.

I bought:
1. riding lawn mower gas tank (1.5 gallons) on ebay to mount in my top box (with a hole drilled in the bottom of the top box)
4. An OEM gas cap that I cut a hole into so that the 1/4 fuel hose feeds into and down into the gas tank.

Now when I go for an extended trip I can put the 'fuel cell' in the top box and when the OEM tank gets low on fuel, I can reach under the top box and open the fuel valve and let the fuel gravity drain into the tank.

Cool :cool:

How are you venting the tank in the top box, hojo? I don't know how comfortable I'd be with the tank venting into the box, even if it was non weather tight enough to allow vapours to escape. Plus unless you had a tip over valve, it could get pretty messy inside if the bike ever flopped over. So I imagine you have a line off the tank and out a hole through the box?

Just curious to hear of the different ways people are doing their individual set ups :D

I'm still puttering with mine, I seem to change my mind on things every time I think I'm finished, lol

My extra gas can saved me from walking on Sunday, off of I-20 near the Texas - Louisiana border. I pulled into a gas station, but it was closed on Sundays. The I-20 gas exit sign did not work this time. The extra gas sure beats walking! I would not travel without the extra gas.

Cool :cool:

How are you venting the tank in the top box, hojo? I don't know how comfortable I'd be with the tank venting into the box, even if it was non weather tight enough to allow vapours to escape. Plus unless you had a tip over valve, it could get pretty messy inside if the bike ever flopped over. So I imagine you have a line off the tank and out a hole through the box?

Just curious to hear of the different ways people are doing their individual set ups :D

I'm still puttering with mine, I seem to change my mind on things every time I think I'm finished, lol

Via a drilled hole, that I cover up when I'm not using the fuel cell.

I bought:

Hi, I have an Acerbis Auxiliary tank (6L), which I used on my previous bike, with carburetor. So I just joined the the fuel line with the old ones using a Y-joint. I'm still figuring out how to use it on fuel injected bike though. You have a pic of your mod? Does it flow well?

Fuel.Cap.jpgFuel-Line.jpg

I don't always keep the auxiliary tank on the moto with me, when it is installed, it sits in the Hepco-Becker top box. A fuel line comes out the bottom and connects to the blue cap (after I remove the blue cap), then the fuel line is routed to the side panel under the passenger seat (yes, I drilled a hole in the side panel and then sealed it). Then it goes to the gas cap, which I drilled a hole into the gas cap and passed the fuel line down through it.

A few things to note:
1. The fuel flows thanks to gravity.
2. The fuel on/off lever is under the top box with the blue cap still on it (the lever is just out of site on the other side of the connector). When I want to let fuel into the OEM tank, I simply reach back and open the fuel lever.
3. I have a secondary on/off lever under the seat. I put that there in case I walk away from the moto and someone wants to see what the other on/off lever does and my OEM tank is already full.
4. I never open the on/off lever until the fuel level in the OEM tank is low enough to accept the fuel from the auxiliary tank.

Thank you sir...
Yes, I had to wait for my stock tank to near-empty too, before turning the other lever on, else there will be an overflow in my carb.

Once again, thank you.

I think HondabikePro made one for his bike..... he was looking into making them available but found out it would be too much hassle with legal issues, so he can't sell them.

That means you would need to either do it yourself, or hire someone to do a custom job for you, and they would charge a great deal for taking the legal risks involved.....

If you search the forum, HondabikePro's post is still here somewhere. He showed his process as he was making it if I remember right. Very nice aluminum tank in the passenger seat area if I remember correctly.

[...I have an Acerbis Auxiliary tank (6L), which I used on my previous bike, with carburetor. So I just joined the the fuel line with the old ones using a Y-joint...]

The fuel line on a Fi bike is under pressure with the engine running. It would be easier to go to the tank.

I think HondabikePro made one for his bike..... he was looking into making them available but found out it would be too much hassle with legal issues, so he can't sell them.

That means you would need to either do it yourself, or hire someone to do a custom job for you, and they would charge a great deal for taking the legal risks involved.....

If you search the forum, HondabikePro's post is still here somewhere. He showed his process as he was making it if I remember right. Very nice aluminum tank in the passenger seat area if I remember correctly.

I will have to check it out, but I want to leave the back seat open for a passenger.

I have a Rotopax, but have not had to use it yet

DSCN1318.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

View attachment 23984View attachment 23985

I don't always keep the auxiliary tank on the moto with me, when it is installed, it sits in the Hepco-Becker top box. A fuel line comes out the bottom and connects to the blue cap (after I remove the blue cap), then the fuel line is routed to the side panel under the passenger seat (yes, I drilled a hole in the side panel and then sealed it). Then it goes to the gas cap, which I drilled a hole into the gas cap and passed the fuel line down through it.

A few things to note:
1. The fuel flows thanks to gravity.
2. The fuel on/off lever is under the top box with the blue cap still on it (the lever is just out of site on the other side of the connector). When I want to let fuel into the OEM tank, I simply reach back and open the fuel lever.
3. I have a secondary on/off lever under the seat. I put that there in case I walk away from the moto and someone wants to see what the other on/off lever does and my OEM tank is already full.
4. I never open the on/off lever until the fuel level in the OEM tank is low enough to accept the fuel from the auxiliary tank.

Hi hojo!!

Could you please one day make a picture of the tank you put in the topbox? I'm in no hurry at all, so take your time. :)

This work looks very good. Congrats!

EDIT: I see in a previous post of yours you've used a lawn mower gas tank. The only question that remains for me is: is that a plastic gas tank or a metallic one? Thanks again.

Last edited:

When you make something like HondabikePro. You make it to bring extra water along. You put a warning label on it that says for water only. It then becomes the users problem for using it for something other than what it is sold for. It has been done before.

i installed as a left sadle bag a three compartment alominum box about 1.2 k"g.
self made. it usally holds 3 freon gas or water and comprresed air for the "mack" truck
air-horn. i can take 1.5 liters of fuel in each tank. i like the plastic tanks
but if you spill the beans and they get scraped you may feel the heat.....
fuel is flameable. nc temp.jpgnc temp (1).jpg

will try again, the temp gauge is here by mistakesadle.jpgsadle (1).jpg
the right is the heavy tool box for a/c foxing and instaling.
the left is for the freon gas.

Last edited:
Back