• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

after market exhaust and tuning

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the computer on the bike correct the fuel injection mixture automatically when a free flowing exhaust is added?

I noticed no change in operation (aside from better sound), so I would think that yes, it does.

I hate loud music, people and bikes but my NCX is almost too quiet. I wear ear plugs most of the time and can't hear a thing. I can see me going to a different muffler some day.

It's a closed loop system, so no. That's why Dynojet offers a power commander for our make and model. It will run lean with a slip-on or air filter installed.

NO. Changing muffer is cosmetic noise, and seldom adds enough power to be worth the expense. However, it does make the NC7 look and sound better. There are ways to get more power, but really not worth the money.

I don't think a closed loop system is the reason why not. Closed loop just means it monitors a number of variables & adjusts timing, etc, to the best use. This is a monstrously tuned engine system. Maybe if you took the cat off & somehow faked the O2 sensors you'd get more power (at the expense of worse mileage), or maybe not, since this bike has a non-typical bike engine. Free flowing exhaust might not do anything.

I've never changed exhaust on a bike but I can't hear the NC. I don't see me changing it unless something cheap comes along. Like something used.

I'm getting installed at the Honda dealership the GPR Deep Toned Slip on exhaust thats hand made in Italy. When I listened to the way it sounded on Youtube I almost had a heart attack. It comes with a baffle but it sounded way louder with the baffle removed. Even the Honda mechanics are curious to see if it truly sounds that amazing. If you go on Youtube and look up GPR Deep Tone Thunder Exhaust you will see a man demmoing it on a 2013 silver NC700X DCT it surely sounds sweet. One of my issues that I have with my bike is its so darn quite it doesn't even sound like a 670 cc engine. I got hooked up and found a reputable dealer who sold it to me OTD price of $350.00 that he special ordered straight from Italy. I have done several hundred dollars of modifications to my brand new 2014 NC700X DCT but the echoes might just become the last major change. To have a PC installed plus get the bike Dyno Tuned might not even be worth the extra cash.

I hate loud music, people and bikes but my NCX is almost too quiet. I wear ear plugs most of the time and can't hear a thing. I can see me going to a different muffler some day.

I absolutely agree with this statement in total. The NC is embarrassingly quiet and even more so when in the company of other bikes. It sounds like a bloody pump with a rattle !

Yes I know engines are pumps but y'all know what I mean.

Several eons ago, VW Beetles were the rage among young people in So Cal and the most common hop-up trick was to replace the standard muffler with a "stinger" exhaust. Hot Rod Magazine gathered at least 15 aftermarket systems and one by one tested them on a bone stock VW that was lashed to a chassis dyno. All but one showed a POWER LOSS over the standard VW muffler and the one that managed to exceed the baseline HP did it by a tiny amount. Yup, it's all about the noise.

ps. the modern day equivalent are kids fitting "turbo" mufflers to their Honda Civics!

Last edited:
It's a closed loop system, so no. That's why Dynojet offers a power commander for our make and model. It will run lean with a slip-on or air filter installed.

100% incorrect and there is no PC from Dynojet. The ECM will compensate and adjust for changes to the exhaust system/air filter by design, but anything major like a complete re-work of the engine would require remapping. There is no Power Commander from Dynojet for our model, only the Bazaz (however you spell it) which is a piggy-back system. There is a reset procedure for the ECM but I don't remember what it is, but it compensates eventually on its own anyway. I also think the NC is too quit and I purchased a full Leo Vince exhaust system with headpipe and muffler and couldn't be more happy. Much more snap and my 0-60 times are markedly improved as evidence. I have kept the quiet core installed as I don't like bikes that are too loud, but stock it's ridiculously quiet.

FWIW - I couldn't hear my bike either and found I had to look at the tach to shift! Did not like that. The bike's torque curve is so flat there is no natural feel to the engine when it is ready to slip up a gear and no exhaust sound provides no clue, either. I admit I've only put 1000 mles on the bike, but I don't think more time will change my perception much.
Also, driving around something that sounds like a sewing machine is just so counter to the bike experience! SO - I added an ~$150 (new) Danmoto Carbon. Good price, very easy install, and reduced weight by several pounds (not really the driver). Tried with and w/o the baffle - both sound soo much better and still not obnoxious so I left the baffle in my box of parts. Will use for a while and go from there. I might re-install when I quiet down my helmet - very simple to do.
Now I can hear the bike. I really doubt there is any mpg or power impact, but the placebo sure works!
BTW - I have a Honda centerstand and added a slit piece of plastic pipe to the crosstube as a bumper. Also oriented the exhaust to maximize clearance from my Honda pannier.
My 3 cents (inflation). Jim

I have a Yoshimura can. Mainly because I like the carbon fiber on the red bike. It added a deeper rumble, but no where near to loud. Noticed no change in performance or mpg.

PA170174.jpg

I have recently just modified my stock exhaust for a little more sound, simple fix, just use a 1 ft. 3/8" drill and drill four holes at the inside bottom of the exhaust, works great and the exhaust is actually not loud at highway speeds.

I absolutely agree with this statement in total. The NC is embarrassingly quiet and even more so when in the company of other bikes. It sounds like a bloody pump with a rattle !

Yes I know engines are pumps but y'all know what I mean.

Haha. I just got my NC this weekend I described the sound the same way.

I have recently just modified my stock exhaust for a little more sound, simple fix, just use a 1 ft. 3/8" drill and drill four holes at the inside bottom of the exhaust, works great and the exhaust is actually not loud at highway speeds.

I did a similar thing but with a single 1 1/8" hole. I just takes out the last stage baffle and actually makes a minor difference in the sound. You only notice it at take off and it is not noticeable on the open road.

The NC has a stroker motor and sounds amazing uncorked - the twisted crank and valve timing makes the NC sound like a pissed off Ducati. There is no reason to do anything unless you remove the cat, then a reset would be suffice.
0205141609a.jpg

The NC has a stroker motor and sounds amazing uncorked - the twisted crank and valve timing makes the NC sound like a pissed off Ducati.

"Pissed off" is more likely the reaction of those unwilling participants who are required to "enjoy" the amazing uncorked motor along with you.

Back