• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventure Jacket or Rain Gear

JoeZ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interested to get the feedback of the adventure riders ... Will be taking my NC cross country in a few months. I already have a good Bike Jacket that can handle some of the elements BUT, it's not meant for rain (and it can get a little hot during the summer, but I plan to make the trip during fall). So, my question is, do I keep and use my current jacket and just buy a cheap rain suit to wear over my clothes, or should I skip the rain suit and hang up my normal riding jacket and cough up a few hundred dollars and get a four season adventure jacket? I can't justify (or afford) the big bucks for a "Klim"... But something in the $200-$300 is what I can afford (like a "Joe Rocket" or "Sedici") ... Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I use my Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 right up until snow and ice prevents sane riding, just by adding the right underlayers. It's great because the inner mesh/armor part serves my needs when it's warm or hot, and when it cools down and/or rains the waterproof outer portion (which stows compactly) comes out. It has never leaked a drop, doesn't flap around due to the high denier fabric, and vents well when that's desired. I don't like the longer Adventure jackets particularly, this goes low enough and just feels better to me.

I use my Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 right up until snow and ice prevents sane riding, just by adding the right underlayers. It's great because the inner mesh/armor part serves my needs when it's warm or hot, and when it cools down and/or rains the waterproof outer portion (which stows compactly) comes out. It has never leaked a drop, doesn't flap around due to the high denier fabric, and vents well when that's desired. I don't like the longer Adventure jackets particularly, this goes low enough and just feels better to me.

I have read very good reviews on "Joe Rockets" products on Amazon. It's good to hear you're a happy camper. Thank you for the feedback.

If the jacket you already have offers good protection and is comfy for a along trip, I'd grab some cheap Frogg Toggs and save the money for gas and beef jerky. I try my best to find gently used gear on eBay and only buy retail when I have to, but I'm a cheap skate, your mileage may vary.

I like klim when it's an old model on closeout for 50% off. The convenience of Gore Tex is great, so I'd buy the frog toggs and just watch sales throughout the year.

Mesh inner jackets with armor are the best you can do for warm and hot weather and still have good protection. You can ride with a mesh T under them or even bare chested and it's a godsend. Definitely pays to have the waterproof layer that can be added on THE OUTSIDE rather than a liner that goes inside however, so that 1) the mesh layer never gets wet, and 2) the mesh layer is adding to the insulation for colder weather/seasons -- rather than being out in the wind when that's not even needed. I think companies started doing waterproof liner thing because it's cheap for them and slightly more compact for you when stowed. But it really doesn't make sense in either colder weather, or clammier circumstances. It's a bit like wearing your underwear over your pants ; }

2nd on the Mesh Jacket. I wear that more than anything else here in sunny So. Cal.
In 100F +, wear a soaked and dripping cotton shirt under the mesh...air blowing through at 70 mph WILL cool you down nicely!

Pants: get a mesh pair and fabric pair both with CE approved armor. Full suits are nice but NOT as versatile.

I have two jackets that get the job done.

1) Tourmaster Air Intake 3 : comes with two liners.. one for warmth and one (surprisingly) for rain.
$_58.JPG
2) Tourmaster Transition 3: use this for cooler weather. comes with liner for warmth, and the jacket is waterproof
transition3blue.jpg

Both are up to Version 4 now, but the 3's are really good and less expensive
IF you can find them in your size!

Last edited:
I run a "4 seasons" jacket and remove the liner as necessary for the weather. I ride all year, rain or shine, cold or warm. In some cases I'm a tad warm, in others a tad cold, but all is bearable with a standard "waterproof, breathable, 4 seasons jacket." That said, no matter how much money I spend, no breathable garment is truly waterproof over a period of hours. I carry a cheap "Joe Rocket" over jacket and over pant. It is not breathable, it's made of PVC basically -- but you won't get wet. I just slap it on when it's raining and take it off when it's not.

I can't stand being inside clammy non breathable rain wear whether it be the outside layer or an inner liner. I get soaked from my own perspiration in a short time. Even on a day ride I may be riding all day in the rain so other than walking the dog for a few minutes in the back yard all my rain gear is breathable.

Secondly, there is no [comfortable, practical, packable] gear that keeps you completely dry in heavy rain over time so underlayers are important. Wicking microfibers absorb water and migrate it out away from the skin and throughout the clothing where it can be ridden in without discomfort and where it can best evaporate when the rain ends or lightens up. Nothing creates monkey butt faster than sitting a few hours in wet cotton underwear inside a pair of jeans. Cotton holds water against the skin a long time. Two days of rain and the skin starts breaking down.

My advice for limited use gear on a budget is to start with Frogg Toggs over a three season jacket and pant. It's cheap, versatile, and very effective. As Greenboy said with the right layers this can serve from 30 degrees to over 100 F. On a trip it can cover most everything weatherwise. More money can buy one or two piece oversuits like the Aerostich Roadcrafter and Darien line.

From my perspective I think you want to check the temperature and weather conditions that a rider would historically experience on your specific route. Someone riding in California(less rain more warm) in the fall would probably want a different setup then someone riding in Washington(more rain less warm).

For me, I use Alter Ego 13.0 Textile Jacket - Joe Rocket Canada. I don't see an equivalent in the US. In the cold I wear the full kit which is a mesh jacket, with a waterproof over jacket and an internal warmth liner. When it's really cold(45F) I add in a turtle neck and a neck gaiter. I'm in my third season and still happy with it and no leaks. I ride until it gets icy which means I see a lot of cool days and rain in the fall.

As the weather gets warmer I drop the warmth liner, then the over jacket so I just ride in the mesh. I'd estimate that the mesh goes on when the temperature is 60 F in the morning. The only thing I would improve at this point would be to get a lighter, portable, waterproof layer for over the mesh on the hot days. The waterpoof portion that is part of the jacket is a bit warm for hot days but currently I just work through it as I am not riding for extended periods.

So you could get a good all in one system, or build your own. If you already have the jacket, you need something waterproof. Pick the quality relative to the weather you plan to ride in. A wicking layer, turtle neck or even a light fleece can keep you warm and help break up the air flow from inside a mesh jacket.

Good luck :)

I have the klim blade jacket. Nice jacket and has gore-tex. It can handle the small stuff easy. If I'm going to deal with all day rain, it's still nice to add a cheap rain set.

IMHO, nothing beats a good quality rain suit for wet weather. The multi-season "waterproof" mesh jackets even with liners are great for most riding conditions, but when it's really raining, for more than scattered showers, a rain suit is the way to go.

I have an Olympia Airglide (an earlier generation than this):
AIRGLIDE 5 - Ivoire - S (243-410002) | Olympia Motosports
AIRGLIDE 4 - Pewter - 30 (243-4120130) | Olympia Motosports
that I wear all the time.

When it's raining, I add the Olympia New Horizon Jacket and Pants
NEW HORIZON RAIN - Black - PETITE (243-415021) | Olympia Motosports
HORIZON RAIN - Black - PETITE (243-215001) | Olympia Motosports

Gotta say, I won't be getting a rain suit's jacket until my Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0's outer jacket section begins to leak. I've been in torrential downpours and even the vent zippers did fine. And this is an outer layer that's had some slams to ground on single track -- branches, bushes and rocks. Pavement riding is trvial to the abuse handed out in those conditions. I did have to use a couple of small dollops of Shoe Goo over a couple punctures from running through thick brush though.

They really use some great fabrics. I wish they sold the sections separately. Trying to remember if it's been 3 or 4 years doing all my riding on and off road with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Olympic fan with a Air 3 for over 3 years . It has liners that keep you to about 45 below that it gets cold then I've added a Olympic rain gear and good to 40. I've got winter gear but it is too hot in the summer, so I usually get the lighter gear when traveling. I am looking for new gear and Olympic has a new line for 4 seasons and I'm think of adding heated gear for traveling to lighten my load. I got cold in the Yukon but left home in the 90's, the weather is so drastic when coming out of the south.

Well, I feel ya, I've been there and I've done the compromise..... If you absolutely can't afford a used waterproof Gortex jacket (that meets all your needs) then ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'll predict however you are going to end up with a collection of jackets that add up to the cost of a new Gortex jacket before long. I know, I've done it myself. I finally got a Klim Latitude jacket (used) as I just was never satisfied with the cheaper waterproof ones that weren't gortex and I was fed up with stopping and putting a rain suit on.

But, you gotta do what you gotta do with your budget. I suspect you'll be doing just like me down the road.

Your not gonna be satisfied until you get something that does what you really want it to do.. and that comes at a premium price unfortunately.

My compromise was an Olympia jacket that I treated and retreated with the nikwax waterproofing. It was the best low cost solution for me. But any jacket of that quality would work for you... just be sure it vents well if your like me and need some airflow, cuz if you buy something to upgrade what you currently have, it should be a jacket you ride in 100% of the time. After all you are on a budget, and if your gonna fork over that hard to come by cash, it had better be for something that is a 100% of the time riding solution.

I was never happy with rain liners... you ride with them in, your uncomfortable in the heat... when it rains once again your stopping and putting liners in... so try to find something that you can waterproof with the nikwax and don't have to put liners in or take liners out to be waterproof. If you have to stop and put liners in when it rains you may as well just use a rainsuit and save a bunch of $$
Liners for the winter are another thing... that's more like layering

BTW here is the Nikwax combo... one is to wash and clean your jacket, the other is the waterproofing. Some people don't bother with the wash unless their jacket is pretty nasty.. you can buy just the "Wash in" treatment by itself.

Amazon.com : Nikwax Hardshell Clean/Waterproof DUO-Pack : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Clothing

Last edited:
Back