• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adding a Air Temp Thermometer to your bike.

Willie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fellow Gear Heads, I have a question about adding a digital outdoor air thermometer to your ride.

Have any of you done this? What unit did you use? Would you care to share instructions or suggestions?

Thanks for your time. Willie.......

I use my phone because whatever mounting position, any sensor would likely be affected by ambient/reflected/radiated and conducted heat. I just want a general idea whether I'm really cold or hot or if it's my imagination. Which brings up WIND CHILL. That means a lot more to me at times ; }

But maybe engineers have worked the problems enough to produce something that is relatively accurate and without much latency...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main use of a ambient temperature gauge is to warn you of possible black ice on the road. I missed having one too. Then I bought a TPMS which has a tire temperature reading. It's handy for ambient temps before the ride.

I sometimes use a 12 volt cig lighter socket temperature/voltmeter unit plugged into an outlet on my handlebars. The accuracy of the temperature readout is subject to keeping the sensor out of sunlight, but it helps that the sensor is on a wire that can be tucked in behind the unit. See link and photos below.

581EF0A7-E475-4227-80F1-8DE867537BB3.jpegA9164399-5E08-468F-A2A1-D1C933306F84.jpeg

I sometimes use a 12 volt cig lighter socket temperature/voltmeter unit plugged into an outlet on my handlebars. The accuracy of the temperature readout is subject to keeping the sensor out of sunlight, but it helps that the sensor is on a wire that can be tucked in behind the unit. See link and photos below.

View attachment 41722View attachment 41723
Or you can take this same volt/temp meter, modify its mounting, wire it to a switched power supply, and permanently mount it on the dash of your bike. Like this ....
TempVolts.JPG

I cut off the part that sticks into the cigarette lighter and substituted a nylon bolt (5/8", IIRC), the head of which I epoxied into the opening that was left after I cut off the mounting base. I had earlier drilled a hole through the length of the threaded part of the bolt, which is why I chose the easily-drilled nylon rather than steel. I ran some longer power leads thru this hole and soldered them to the power connections on the instrument's circuit board then epoxied everything together. Insert the bolt into a hole drilled below the dash, add a nylon nut onto the bolt, connect the extended power leads to a switched power supply and - voila!

I also first disassembled the entire thing and sealed all the mating surfaces with silicon to weatherproof everything, just in case.

I’m cheap. bought a Chinese temp gauge with blue LED, wired so it’s on with ignition. (Found the gauge on that auction site.)
I find blue works better than red in sunlight. YMMV
Mounted the sensor forward under the “fairing.” It reads hot from engine heat after sitting, but <1-2 miles and it’s showing ambient temp again. I checked it with an accurate mercury thermometer and it’s more than accurate enough for me.
I ride in winter (can you say “heated gear”?) so it’s handy for ice prediction. And when it’s hot, I like a number so I can boast or complain with data.

Ice prediction here ain't worth a sh**. Because you quickly vacillate between areas that get sun, areas that sometimes get sun, and areas that hardly ever or never get sun during the colder part of the year. Real world temperature differences and more importantly ROAD TEMPERATURE variations here change a lot in what are often very small distances – in seconds. Therefore, I trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our road temperatures vary from the really hot part to the not really so hot part and they all look the same. Thermomitor not needed.

Our road temperatures vary from the really hot part to the not really so hot part and they all look the same. Thermomitor not needed.
You might want a thermometer to know when to look for shade however ; }

Back