• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Action Cams, Innovv K2 cams, etc ...what is the current, best long distance option

VIOFO has been in contact with me and is graciously sending me a test version of their camera system.

As of this today I am in California on a trip, but I will instal the camera on one of our touring motorcycles when I get back into town to test the system in real world conditions, provide them feedback, and hopefully the camera system will be reliable enough to recommend to everyone.

I'm going to be gone for almost 2 weeks, so install is 2-3 weeks away. Testing will begin after that.

I believe the system is:
  • 1080p front camera and 1080p rear.
  • 30 frames per second front. Not sure about rear.
  • auto-on/auto-off;
  • Loop recording;
  • "Incident button" to allow saving about a minute clip that would save the clip and prevent it from being recorded over
  • Fully weatherproof
  • WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity to a phone
  • Not sure if it has a video screen (as long as it connects to a phone a video screen is unneeded)

VIOFO has been in contact with me and is graciously sending me a test version of their camera system.

As of this today I am in California on a trip, but I will instal the camera on one of our touring motorcycles when I get back into town to test the system in real world conditions, provide them feedback, and hopefully the camera system will be reliable enough to recommend to everyone.

I'm going to be gone for almost 2 weeks, so install is 2-3 weeks away. Testing will begin after that.

I believe the system is:
  • 1080p front camera and 1080p rear.
  • 30 frames per second front. Not sure about rear.
  • auto-on/auto-off;
  • Loop recording;
  • "Incident button" to allow saving about a minute clip that would save the clip and prevent it from being recorded over
  • Fully weatherproof
  • WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity to a phone
  • Not sure if it has a video screen (as long as it connects to a phone a video screen is unneeded)

Looking forward to seeing your review of the install and the results. Curious about the warranty too, as it appears from a previous post that they may have longevity issues. Gear for a bike has a different set of requirements than gear for a car, and if they had issues with their car version then that doesn't bode well for the bike version.

I'm out of town, but I received notice that the Viofo dual motorcycle DVR system arrived at our home.

Looking forward to figuring out what I actually got, installing it, and testing it.

I received my test unit while I was out of town on a trip to California.

Just unpacked it. There are no instructions with the test unit but it appears that it will be pretty straight forward to install.

There is no screen. I presume there is a Smart Phone App that connects to the unit via WiFi. I will look for that when I get back into my normal routine, finish unpacking from my trip, etc.

But I wanted to post up the unpacking photos. I don't know the specs, etc.

Overview of everything inside the box. 2 sets of 2 different types of camera mounts, each with its own allen key. Velcro to attach everything to the motorcycle. Plus the main DVR unit.
BB3EDE7D-C2DB-4BB5-B951-EDD1B2B10117.jpg

The DVR unit appears to be highly water resistant with the only possible point of entry for water coming through the port cover. If the port cover remains secure under vibration then water intrusion does not look like it will be an issue.
472F2641-63C0-4EFF-A9C9-D4E09BD1C1B7.jpg

The two cameras appear to be the same. The housing appear to be anodized aluminum and look very robust.
723E4B61-00E3-4955-9314-B71BBA0D2504.jpg

I'm guessing the square box is a GPS unit.
The round unit has 2 buttons, one is marked RECORD so I presume that is the 'Panic' button to save a video clip. There is a tiny hole that might be a microphone to record audio. The other button looks like it might be used to connect the unit to a smart phone? Not really sure.
DA7C4EF1-864F-4371-8964-77745C477BE7.jpg

There are also 2 sets of 2 different types camera mounts. Each comes with its own allen wrench. Also 3M backed Velcro mounts precut for each camera mount and a larger piece for the DVR unit. The electrical wiring has an inline fuse. All can be seen in the overview photo.

Back