• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Action Cams, Innovv K2 cams, etc ...what is the current, best long distance option

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
So looking for getting some sort of action camera for recording a long distance trip.

I like the concept of an automobile 'dash cam' set up where its simply permanently installed and works pretty much automatically. The only (2 camera) fully automatic DVR & camera system that I found that seems to be well received is the INNOVV K2 system. Seems like there should be some other quality competitors out there that do the same thing? I'm just not aware of any.

Can anyone recommend some sort of video system that records pretty much automatically that they have used?

Am I better off with an action camera or a built-in system like the INNOVV K2

Action cameras are not fully automatic but may offer advantages like the ability to walk around with them and use them off the bike.

FWIW, we are taking 2 bikes.

With the INNOVV K2 I'd wire 1 bike front and back.
With action cameras, I'd put 1 on each bike.

I have and use a Sena 10C. It's a helmet cam, comm device, bluetooth device. Shoots max res at 1080 @ 30FPS. That's fine for most of what I am doing. Couple things I have found now after 3 years is that the battery life is really starting to get shorter and shorter. Also, the setup and rotation of the camera is a pain - there's no live view.

There is a new camera Sena has out, and it is a serious contender for me. It allows live view (making alignment easy), higher framerate, better battery life and (HUGE) you can charge while using it!

Other cameras I am considering are the Sena Prism Tube, GoPro Hero 7 Black, GoPro Session (referb, but cant beat the size). there's others, but those are the contenders for me.

I would also suggest heading to the following site - it's all they do. Motovlog - The first Moto Vlogging Community

I looked at that website a couple times and its not really about what I'm looking for. I'm not video-blogging, not trying to capture voice so no need for me to worry about wind noise, which seems to be the endless topic there. Not looking for wearable cameras. No need to sync it into my Cardo Palktalk Slim.

I am more looking for a hardwired solution that records when we ride. Turns off when we park. Starts again when we go. Basically a dash cam for the bike(s).

I am using the Hero 5, works pretty good and easy to remove and take with you at stops/viewing points of interest. I,ve seen some guys have a couple of them. Two mounted ot the bike, one front and one rear and another on their helmet! I just have one. :{)

I used a GoPro "knock-off" the Yi Action Cam. Put it in an underwater housing which is then compatible with GoPro mounts and accessories; mounted it to light bar, can also mount to engine guards. For under $100 it works quite well. I bought it for snorkeling and UW video for SCUBA diving, as well as other 'adventure' activities while on vacation etc. There are newer 4k versions of the same thing and the Yi action cam is quite highly rated, especially for value for money!

I'm also looking for Dash cam type alternatives. Google motoprocam.com I've been looking at both that one and the Innovv. I commute every day and think something like this is a wise idea. Leaning towards the Motoprocam as it wouldn't be a huge investment and it has a one year warranty. I sent them a question and got a really quick response which was encouraging. Have read both positive and negative reviews of both units. There is a YouTube review of the motoprocam and the video seems pretty nice for the price.

I'm also looking for Dash cam type alternatives. Google motoprocam.com I've been looking at both that one and the Innovv. I commute every day and think something like this is a wise idea.

Here is the link => MotoProCam Dual Cam 1080P WiFi Motorcycle & ATV DVR Camera System

It looks very interesting.

The price is nice too!

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it is not waterproof. I realize it has a 'water resistant' sleeve but that is not quite waterproof. Probably could mount it under the rear seat, it should be dry under there.

video review of the MotoProCam ... only downside he points out is the lack of being waterproof

I do like the "SOS" button to save clips

[video=youtube;vKtY2F5UTxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=438&v=vKtY2F5UTxE[/video]

So my take on the INNOVV versus the MotoProCam:

INNOVV is waterproof
MotoProCam is NOT
I think this may be a deal breaker against the MotoProCam

MotoProCam has an "SOS" button to save the bits of video so they are not over-written in the loop, which is a great feature.
INNOVV does NOT
I think this is a fairly strong advantage for the MotoProCam

MotoProCam has a video screen
INNOVV requires a SmartPhone for video
I consider the MotoProCam's video screen to be a problem because the screen is attached to the DVR, and that is not waterproof so if mounted in a position that is visible to the rider, it now is exposed to the elements. Logically it needs to be mounted inside a protected area, but that eliminates the usefulness of the video screen. Maybe I'm missing something but for me the waterproof feature is much more important than the video screen. Again, that is my take, for my intended use.

MotoProCam has a microphone
INNOVV does NOT
Not sure this is a big advantage for the MotoProCam, especially if it is encased in the silicon water resistant housing, which likely would mute the effectiveness off the microphone. Also the microphone likely would be useless if the DVR head unit is mounted under the passenger seat, which is basically a weather resistant and secure spot on the NC700/750x.

So looking for getting some sort of action camera for recording a long distance trip.

I like the concept of an automobile 'dash cam' set up where its simply permanently installed and works pretty much automatically. The only (2 camera) fully automatic DVR & camera system that I found that seems to be well received is the INNOVV K2 system. Seems like there should be some other quality competitors out there that do the same thing? I'm just not aware of any.

Can anyone recommend some sort of video system that records pretty much automatically that they have used?

Am I better off with an action camera or a built-in system like the INNOVV K2

Action cameras are not fully automatic but may offer advantages like the ability to walk around with them and use them off the bike.

FWIW, we are taking 2 bikes.

With the INNOVV K2 I'd wire 1 bike front and back.
With action cameras, I'd put 1 on each bike.

Ok people, correct me if I'm wrong...

Action cam and Dash cam are kinda two different things.
Dash cams, like the ones you have in your car, are fixed on your bike (I have only one, at front) and they are pointed to the same direction all the time. The main purpose is to loop-record while riding, mostly for "in case something happened", for insurance, to prove you did everything ok, etc.
On the other hand, the purpose of the action cams are to document your trip, where you were, how it was, interesting places, mostly from "your perspective", eyes or chest or helmet...
You can document your trip with the dash cams too but in that case your system must support bigger SD cards so whole daily recording is not going to be over-recorded because of the loop recording feature. And you have to take out the card each night and store it on your computer or other device.
I bought cheap action cam in Menards, about $40, fixed it to the front of the bike and I use it as the dashcam. It loops all the time and I'm not saving the video files. It's there just in case. PRO: cheap solution. CON: it shakes a lot and not so good picture at night. Although, I rarely ride at night and the purpose is to show what happened if some jerk suddenly cross my path...

And, regarding the action cams, I have Contour, 5-6 years old, not bad. The biggest PRO is it's soooo easy to turn it on and off, you don't need to watch and check. And you always know if it's on or off. I have it on top of my helmet. Another PRO having it on the helmet: you can record everything around you, side views, by turning your head left and right. CON: once you're home and watching your videos, you will realize that you were moving your head waaaaaay to often, because you're watching things around you, blind spots, other cars, quick glance at a dog next to the road... Sometimes when I watch what I recorded on my trip I get sea-sick... :D
I have also Nabi action cam, GoPro like. I have it on my chest. Nice view of my bike's dashboard. Doesn't shake almost at all. CON: depending of the windshield, sometimes it can take the biggest part of the picture. :D
If you plan to document your trip one thing I would like to have is image/video stabilizator. To me it's a huge thing to have great videos.

I hope I didn't miss the topic?
:D

Last edited:
Ok people, correct me if I'm wrong...

Action cam and Dash cam are kinda two different things.

I hope I didn't miss the topic?
:D

My title allowed for either type of camera to be used but the post pretty clearly stated my intended use, which is as a recording device that is auto on/off, and functioning like a Dashcam. Clearly there are people who use Action Cams as Dash Cams, and some Action Cams come with features that make them reasonably good choices for Dashcam use.

I was actually thinking of putting the unit in the frunk. Being in AZ, my concern is more about the bike sitting outside in the summer heat while I’m at work than about the rain. They assured me that they use them (in Texas) in the heat with no issues, but still kind of leery. I’d be interested in a review of whatever you decide to get.

I was actually thinking of putting the unit in the frunk...

Trying to avoid that space as the compact DVR might be just large enough to keep a helmet from fitting in the Frunk.

But honestly not sure, given your Arizona heat issue, if the frunk would be a better choice? There is no airflow in the frunk. Not that there is much under the rear seat, but that might actually be a slightly cooler spot? You may want to put a digital thermometer in each space, ride and then park the bike. Check the temps in both areas right after the ride; then check the temps after it sits in the sun for an hour? Just a thought?

I 2015 I went the cheap route; I wanted to record (mainly for insurance purposes) but also to post on youtube if I got some good scenery.
I bought this from Amazon (currently not available, but there are many like it): GeekPro 2.0'' Touch Screen 5MP HD 720P Waterproof Camera 8G TF Card 140° Wide-Angle Sports Action DV Bike Helmet Camcorder Touchable

Sample video after 2 years of use-KSL 2017:
YouTube

I have it mounted on my left handlebar next to the mirror stalk.

I think I'd really like the INNOVV K2 but I also think I'd really like some sort of button to save short video clips. The "SOS" button option would give me the ability to save video clips of our trips and run rides (so I'd have some of the functionality of an Action cam) but still allow the Dashcam functionality of over-writing other video that is nothing more than repetitive riding.

I do know that whatever unit I buy, it will be a waterproof unit.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

If Innovv had a 'SOS' button it would be easy to buy that unit. > INNOVV K2 WiFi 2 Channel Full HD Remote Lens Motorcycle Camera System

If the Blueskysea upgraded unit was available it would be easy to buy > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWT911R/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2E2D732KBQJI9&psc=1

If the HaloCam was waterproof it would be an easy choice to pick this one > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D371DRF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3JVUYUGKS46N6&psc=1

Last edited:
Well it looks like the upgraded Blueskysea DV688 will be back in stock soon.

Amazon is again taking orders for it, and providing a shipping date >>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWT911R/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2E2D732KBQJI9&psc=1

I would order it today except for one thing happened.

I have been offered a different unit from another brand, as a Beta tester. I don't have the details yet, put I'm a member at the Dashcam Talk Forums and the manufacturer contacted me. He said their new unit, which is due to be released in the next 60 days, will have all of my desired features. Waterproof DVR. Dual 1080/30fps cameras. SOS button. G Shock. The manufacturer (VIOFO) makes some of the highest rated automobile dash cams on the Dashcam Talk page so I'm hopeful they can deliver a high quality motorcycle dash cam. My plan is to wait to hear from them, I'm not in a rush to mount the system. If there are production delays that drag on, I can always look at the Blueskysea DV688 or the INNOVV K2 systems again.

Melensdad - I found the forum you are on and also volunteered to test their product. Hope I get selected also, would love to try something new and give an honest review. In the meantime, will keep doing research before spending my hard earned $

Melensdad - I found the forum you are on and also volunteered to test their product. Hope I get selected also, would love to try something new and give an honest review. In the meantime, will keep doing research before spending my hard earned $
If they pick you they will contact you.

They contacted me via PM.

We bought the VIOFO A119 for both or car and truck. Both failed. Mine failed quick enough that Amazon replaced it. My wife's failed months later and there was no response from support. The reseller did apologize and send her a replacement while mentioning they were not going to sell VIOFO anymore due to this issue. Both replacements died. So a total of 4 dashcams which lasted less than a year from the date of original purchase.

I'm considering the Blueseasky DV688 but I haven't purchased it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back