• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A low side and my leg!!!

Bcsmith

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about crash bars hopefully I don’t go down again!!! Do you think crash bars offer safety protection for a leg injury. I wear in adequate lower leg and foot protection???

I can't answer your question directly. I had a slow speed, low side slide on icey asphalt. Regardless of the speed my mind was making decisions very quickly. In the moment, I could feel the bike slipping away turning into a driveway. I was concerned that if I put my foot down, rightly or wrongly, that the bike could fall, pin my leg and take me for a drag. I made the decision to roll off the bike. Not sure if the bars would have kept the bike high enough to not pin me. I wished I would have had crash bars at the time. Figured it would have save me a scratched panel, a Madstad shield and a bent shifter. Still would have gotten bent handle bars, rash on the bard ends and seat grab rails. I kept the rash on the panels as a reminder. The crash bars would have saved me money had I pulled the trigger earlier in my specific situation. They have saved additional damage in lower speeds situations/drops. Hasn't been one in a couple years...hope I am not jinxing myself. Hopefully my anecdotal commentary using crashbars is helpful to your search.

Depends on the bars and the type of fall, however a lot of bars are not strong enough in a fall at speed. Most will help save a panel or two-mayor may not protect your leg. YMMV

Crashes are so variable that it's impossible to say definitively. Would it help? Logic says it should. Having a bit of metal sticking out does create more space so I would assume it would lower the risk. I would also assume that the farther the bar sticks out, the more room there is for a leg not to get squished. I have no data however.

Back