• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A few thoughts about my NC750X

andrem

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all!

I just got my new motorcycle about 4-5 days ago and i've been putting down about 300km total for the time being. One thing I'm curious about is the fuelreading - it says mine has used about 5.5 liters since i've last reset it and 2 bars have gone.

Since the reserve kicks in at around 3 liters, that gives it about 6 liters left for 2 bars, is that the normal range or has something been wrongly calibrated? Perhaps the tank floater is giving a wrong reading?

Also,when changing gears, especially from 1st to 2nd - do you usually rev it up a bit before changing or do you change asap? I usually just get of the starting line up to about 20km/h and then switch but when I do, it feels like it looses a bit of power - perhaps that is due to my early shift?

Also, when killing the throttle, will your engine also "stutter" when listening to it? Doesn't sound like a smooth idle more like - we'll it's hard to explain. It also makes the bike jerk a bit when killing the throttle as well.

Anybody else experience or thought about any of this?

I'm guessing that's a saying that it's "ok". Feels like my fuel tank is being emptied faster than it should be though. Ah well, i'll give them a shot at the 1000km service.

Andrem - just do a 'real time' fuel calculation, ignoring the gauge.

Brim the tank to the filler neck. Ride for 150km, then fill to the same point again and get your calculator out..!

I "had" to fill up again today, it started flashing red that it was in reserve mode. Yet i only filled 8 liters out of 14 which is a bit over half the tank. Something must be off then and need to be adjusted. I can get that the fuel moves around but 6 liters to show reserve? Should be 3 liters left before it even starts flashing.

Also, I'm having issues with my clutch. When cold and i try to engage first (from neutral ofc) sometimes it wont slip in, it just bounces back to neutral. I have to then let go of the clutch and engage it again and then it clunks into gear. Is the clunking normal? I'vev only ridden this bike for about 400km so I can't imagine that something can be wrong with the gearbox/clutch already?

I "had" to fill up again today, it started flashing red that it was in reserve mode. Yet i only filled 8 liters out of 14 which is a bit over half the tank. Something must be off then and need to be adjusted. I can get that the fuel moves around but 6 liters to show reserve? Should be 3 liters left before it even starts flashing.

Also, I'm having issues with my clutch. When cold and i try to engage first (from neutral ofc) sometimes it wont slip in, it just bounces back to neutral. I have to then let go of the clutch and engage it again and then it clunks into gear. Is the clunking normal? I'vev only ridden this bike for about 400km so I can't imagine that something can be wrong with the gearbox/clutch already?

How full do you fill it? That 14 liter capacity is probably when you have filled the tank to the point of overflowing.

A sticky clutch is normal when cold. With the bike in gear and the engine off, pull the clutch lever and rock the bike back and forth a little before starting it to break the plates free. Or, what I always do is just put the bike in gear, hold the brake, press the starter, and ride away. No clunk. I have no need for neutral except to roll the bike around in the garage with the engine off. I never use neutral on a running engine. If I accidentally start a cold bike in neutral, I shut it off, put it in gear, then restart it. That clunk absolutely annoys me so I avoid it altogether.

Last edited:
How full do you fill it? That 14 liter capacity is probably when you have filled the tank to the point of overflowing.

A sticky clutch is normal when cold. With the bike in gear and the engine off, pull the clutch lever and rock the bike back and forth a little before starting it to break the plates free. Or, what I always do is just put the bike in gear, hold the brake, press the starter, and ride away. No clunk. I have no need for neutral except to roll the bike around in the garage with the engine off. I never use neutral on a running engine.

I fill it to the point where the nozzle of the pump shuts of auto, no point in filling it to the top imo. But sure, you may be right but since the manual itself states that it shouldn't be done, I find it logical that the sensors are programed after the liters the tank should hold when filled to the "normal" full level.

Hm, does that get better when it gets more worn in? Sounds like something on an old engine truth be told. I can understand it from the point that it happens when cold, the clunk or something, but having trouble engaging a gear is kinda strange for me.

Gas pump nozzles are designed with automobile fuel tank filler necks in mind. If you let it cut off at the same place on a bike, that's still in the fat part of the fuel tank and you're giving up a lot of capacity for no reason or benefit. I always fill to that odd little bit of metal near the top. No problems, and that's 14 liters.

Yeah, I think that odd bit of metal is the official full mark.

I find if I hold the nozzle just inside the tank, so the tip is just past that odd bit of metal, fill till it cuts off, then give it one or two more squeezes, it will fill to the metal bit with no splash.

Yes Andrem - Mike is right you do need to fill it to the little metal thing visible in the tank mouth. You can easily get another couple of litres in after the pump automatically cuts off.
Mike

The manual has a picture showing proper fill. With bike on side stand fuel covers half the hole of the plate below the cap. When a pump automatically shuts off I typically add another 0.3 to 0.4 gallons getting to Honda's recommended fuel level for full.

On a car the nozzle is in a tube above the tank. On an MC , the nozzle is in the tank.

I have had mine for a week and have so far covered about 370 miles. The only way to determine the fuel consumption is to fill the tank to the top (or to a point that you can recognise next time, not when the pump automatically shuts off). Reset the trip and ride the bike around for quite a few miles. After a few bars have disappeared re-fill the tank to the same level as before, note the mileage and how many litres of fuel was used. Do the calculation. Why not check out Fuelly and set up an account then you can track your fuel consumption easily.

With regard the gear issue. When cold my bike snicks into first without any clunk but when warm there is quite a clunk. My Deauville was worse. I guess it is one of those things you get used to.

fuel readings on my nc700x.

5 bars = full
4 bars = 65 miles showing
3 bars = 115
2 bars = 140
1 bar = 180
<flashing> 30 miles until engine stops

that last thought ... 30 miles... is a conservative estimate. It will go further than 30, but I don't like pushing it that much unless I have to.

This mental model isn't especially accurate, but it works well on long rides.
My point is that the fuel gauge isn't linear in nature.

670cc pointed out that the mileage when the first bar disappears is usually a good indicator of what the MPG will be for that tank of fuel.

The chart below will help you visualize HOW FAR you can go if you know your average MPG well.
AT my avg MPG (65), I could push it all the way to 240 miles showing.... I wouldn't, but it's nice to know.
I will stop at the first gas station I can find, no matter what it is, when I get above 200 miles showing.

(calculation is 50 mpg x 3.7 US gallons = 185 miles)

MPG Range
---- ------
50 185
51 188.7
52 192.4
53 196.1
54 199.8
55 203.5
56 207.2
57 210.9
58 214.6
59 218.3