• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

86-1 code on 2015 Nc700x DCT

SuppressedShooter

Reaction score
Visit site
I had removed my battery for 2.5-3 months to put on a charger. Reinstalled and rode 25 miles everything was fine. 2 days later rode 3 miles shut it off and then started it and the engine light flashed and it idled ruff. I shut the bike off and restarted and it was fine. A Honda shop is only 15 minutes away so I rode it there, tech scanned and got this code. He called Honda tech and was told it was from the battery being disconnected for an extended period of time. The fix was to reinitialize the clutch. He cleared the code and ran thru the steps initialize the clutch. Everything is fine now thought I would share and see if anyone else had this happen. He said to just leave the battery connected during charging.

I have a question, I don't have a service manual yet. If it's fairly minor could someone please post the procedure to reinitialize the clutch. I disconnected the battery to install the sub harness for a USB connector and now the bike does seem jerky at low speed. Might be my imagination, but might be a problem. The battery was only disconnected for about an hour.

Thanks.

I had removed my battery for 2.5-3 months to put on a charger. Reinstalled and rode 25 miles everything was fine. 2 days later rode 3 miles shut it off and then started it and the engine light flashed and it idled ruff. I shut the bike off and restarted and it was fine. A Honda shop is only 15 minutes away so I rode it there, tech scanned and got this code. He called Honda tech and was told it was from the battery being disconnected for an extended period of time. The fix was to reinitialize the clutch. He cleared the code and ran thru the steps initialize the clutch. Everything is fine now thought I would share and see if anyone else had this happen. He said to just leave the battery connected during charging.

As I learned the hard way, first check to see that the battery terminals are secured tight. This I have done wrong.

Second the DTC 86-1 (Meter Communication Malfunction) Page 4-35. But I would beat battery terminal not tight due to your recent history.

I have a question, I don't have a service manual yet. If it's fairly minor could someone please post the procedure to reinitialize the clutch. I disconnected the battery to install the sub harness for a USB connector and now the bike does seem jerky at low speed. Might be my imagination, but might be a problem. The battery was only disconnected for about an hour.

Thanks.

The DCT has its own codes. I do not own a DCT, so I have no experience in this matter. The DCT codes start on page 12-15 and go for a few pages. Do you have a code number?

Lootzyan, your awesome. In my case I have only had the NC for 800 miles so I am still getting used to the clutch work being done by other than my left hand and the problem is most likely imagined. Since you remove the battery every season my one hour disconnect didn't cause a problem, other than requiring a clock reset.

Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions.

I am a pilot and on planes with one engine, when we fly over the most inhospitable terrain the engine always goes into "auto rough" another imagined malady.

As I learned the hard way, first check to see that the battery terminals are secured tight. This I have done wrong.

Second the DTC 86-1 (Meter Communication Malfunction) Page 4-35. But I would beat battery terminal not tight due to your recent history.
They are tight I used a ratchet and socket.

It looks like pretty common behavior of making up problems to cover one's ignorance.
First, you noticed "engine light flashing" (MIL). This is for indicating general DTC problems common for all types of NC. 86-1 code is for "Meter communication malfunction, Open or short circuit in the TXD/RXD wire, Faulty combination meter". Why technician had to call Honda for this?
For three winters I had battery removed from bike for over 4 months. Never had any problem with DCT.
Clutch Initialize Learning Procedure is done very rarely, if the PCM is replaced. Or maybe if there where problems with some sensors, giving faulty signals to PCM.
He knew what the code was and checked if there was a recall for this issue on the 2015, there was not only on the 2014. So he called to see if there was another reason for this code to pop up. And was told it was from the battery being disconnected for an extended period.

Thanks.

I don't want to start an argument but I've had the same thing happen when the battery was disconnected by the dealer. After reconnecting the battery my bike would jerk a bit when down shifting from second to first. I just tap the "-" button every time I can feel the jerkiness start. After a day or two it goes away.

The NC DCT's are sometimes too clever for their own good.

The constantly analyse the state of the battery. If the battery is considered to be tool low, for whatever reason, or can't be seen (loose terminals) they "sulk" and wont autoselect Neutral to allow you to start the bike. To confirm if this is the case, try pressing the horn instead of the starter. Chances are you'll get nothing or a mangled beep. For this reason, I carry a Li-Ion starter pack. This allows the bike to be started.

However, if you then remove the starter pack, The bike might go into "Limp Mode" D + S displayed on the dash plus an "L" in the gear display. Leave the bike running and the battery should charge in 15 minutes or so.

If you need to reset the clutches:

1.Side stand up
2.Hold down "D"
3.Ignition on
4.Release "D" (Engine Management Light should go off)
5.Press in sequence "D,D,N,D,N"
6.Start Bike
7. Leave running for three minutes

I've printed this out on a label machine and stuck it in the frunk.

If the bike is sulking in some other way try holding the front brake on, switching on ignition and then starting.

To prevent problems like the one in Post #9 I always shift the DCT transmission on my bike into neutral before turning the key to off. When parking the bike in my driveway I shift into neutral to make it easier for my 65 year old legs to backpedal the bike up a slight rise into its' parking spot.

Back