• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

700 vs.750

It does have the hardware. Aftermarket systems just plug in and learn from the bike going through the gears.

Don't know if the display is set up for the ECU to put it on the dash.

I've read some older threads since my earlier posting. Seems the aftermarket option is using the Data Link Connector by the fuse box. They are gaining access to the ECU through this port. Since the hardware is in place there has to be another reason it is not available on the pre-2014 manual. I'm willing to bet it is both the dash and software. Don't want to tie up the thread anymore than I have. Sorry.

This is my bike. The vid is only a couple of minutes long....I'll never be a Youtube blogger that's for sure.....:D
The Ixil Hyper sounds nice on decent speakers, but sounds a little tinny when listening a phone speaker.

I just love the the style of this roadster.. Not flash, just a plain simple looking machine - just the way I like'm....:D

My Honda NC750S DCT. - YouTube

Last edited:
This is my bike. It's only a couple of minutes long....I'll never be a Youtube blogger that's for sure.....:D
The Ixil Hyper sounds nice on decent speakers, but sounds a little tinny when listening a phone speaker.

I just love the the style of this roadster.. Not flash, just a plain simple looking machine - just the way I like'm....:D

My Honda NC750S DCT. - YouTube

What a beauty! :eek: Very classy looking IMHO. Love that red colour, and the dark smoke screen looks smashing! :cool:

Say, is the radiator cap stock or something aftermarket? It looks different.

What a beauty! :eek: Very classy looking IMHO. Love that red colour, and the dark smoke screen looks smashing! :cool:

Say, is the radiator cap stock or something aftermarket? It looks different.

Thank you. Yep the radiator cap is standard and all I've done is de-sticker the bike. The cover on the radiator cap just peels off.

Last edited:
Aftermarket systems simply calculate gear from rpm and speed. Not hard to program ECU to do the same.

No hard ? As an electronic assembly programmer, I find this statement very interesting... I know how aftermarker systems works, but OEM gear indicators never relies on "guessing" to display something. Every bike that have an OEM gear indicator can display that gear without moving, so they DO NOT rely of "speed vs RPM guessing" like the GIpro.

The 2012 manual version DOES NOT HAVE the required hardware for this to work. It only have a neutral switch, period. The only thing that is common to the manual and the DCT version is the "Combination Meter" (display). The manual version has an ECM and the DCT has a PCM. Not the same box at all, very different computer beast. There are tons of sensors connected to the DCT PCM (TR, EOT, EOP, Inner / Outer mainshaft sensors, ...). The PCM sends the gear information to the meter display through a M-TXD/RXD serial bus. The ECM "brain" on the manual cannot do this. That is why I said "It cannot be done."

the easiest way to get this to work is to install an aftermarket GIpro display, but you need to keep moving to get a display, and it won't show on the OEM display.

As you said, if you can reprogram the manual ECM to send the "guessed" gearing indication to the meter display using speed vs RPM calculation, please feel free to do so and keep us informed of your results.

No hard ? As an electronic assembly programmer, I find this statement very interesting... I know how aftermarker systems works, but OEM gear indicators never relies on "guessing" to display something. Every bike that have an OEM gear indicator can display that gear without moving, so they DO NOT rely of "speed vs RPM guessing" like the GIpro.

The 2012 manual version DOES NOT HAVE the required hardware for this to work. It only have a neutral switch, period. The only thing that is common to the manual and the DCT version is the "Combination Meter" (display). The manual version has an ECM and the DCT has a PCM. Not the same box at all, very different computer beast. There are tons of sensors connected to the DCT PCM (TR, EOT, EOP, Inner / Outer mainshaft sensors, ...). The PCM sends the gear information to the meter display through a M-TXD/RXD serial bus. The ECM "brain" on the manual cannot do this. That is why I said "It cannot be done."

the easiest way to get this to work is to install an aftermarket GIpro display, but you need to keep moving to get a display, and it won't show on the OEM display.

As you said, if you can reprogram the manual ECM to send the "guessed" gearing indication to the meter display using speed vs RPM calculation, please feel free to do so and keep us informed of your results.

I agree with you there.

Additionally, as a widespread "general" rule in the Honda motorcycle product line, gear indication is not provided on the dash. The GL1800 has the switch on the tranny to gather gear position indication. It runs down a cable in a simple electrical format that you can tap into and make your own gear indicator if you want, yet Honda chose not to display this info on the GL1800 dash.

As a workaround, I've trained my brain to determine the gear I'm in by glancing at the dash and comparing RPM to speed. For the most part it's irrelevant; if the bike is running right, you're in the correct gear. If it's not, change gears. What number gear it is doesn't matter. It's either the right one or it's not.

Last edited:
I remembered there was a thread on the ST-Owner's Group about a guy who designed his own gear indicator Article ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

Don't know what signals are available in the NC to feed a programmed microcontroller to do the 'calculations'. The ST had available data that could be reliably converted. The link above has more details for those so inclined or the DIY type.

I agree with you there.

Additionally, as a widespread "general" rule in the Honda motorcycle product line, gear indication is not provided on the dash. The GL1800 has the switch on the tranny to gather gear position indication. It runs down a cable in a simple electrical format that you can tap into and make your own gear indicator if you want, yet Honda chose not to display this info on the GL1800 dash.

Yup, i did that on my 08' GL1800. I tapped on that gear position sensor and programmed a little PIC16C54 to display the gear position on a 7 segment BCD display hidden behing the left mirror. It was a fun little project but totally useless ;-)

Well, wow! There is a big difference. First there is so much more power. The gearing is superb and there is a gear indicator. Plus the seat is 10x better.
e7y8a7ur.jpg
unezape2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2014 NC750 has a gear indicator. Interested to see if those parts could be added to the 700.

Well, wow! There is a big difference. First there is so much more power. The gearing is superb and there is a gear indicator. Plus the seat is 10x better.
e7y8a7ur.jpg
unezape2.jpg

Good looking bike.

Remember US guys, the non-USA nc700 had less power (HP) than our US nc700 to begin. I believe (may be wrong) but the Non-US bikes had 48 HP (at the crank) while our US bikes have 51 HP at the crank. The new NC750 has 54 HP at the crank, 3 HP more than our NC700; the non-US 750 has an increase of 11% HP to their NC700, while it will only be a 5 % increase over the US NC700 bikes. The NC750 may be able to get more of the HP to the wheel than our NC700 due to slight changes in the gearing (not sure though). I thought the only changes made to the seat was the covering (again, may be wrong on that)- I do like the looks of the new seat. There is also supposed to be slightly less vibration (for those sensitive to the vibes).

There's more to the "non-US" world than just Europe. The 700 was reported as 50hp as sold in Japan.

There is also supposed to be slightly less vibration.

Possibly, but I would imagine this would only hold true for the 750, as it got the second counter balancer. I don't think they added it to the 700. (especially if it's only the US that doesn't get the 750, and everywhere else does)

Something like that would for sure be noted in the US Specifications on the Honda home website.

True, but I believe Canada got the European version, but I may be incorrect, since they had the bike 1-2 years before the US.

No, we didn't get the euro version, we get a US version, but without the emissions stuff, and specific to Canada bits required by Transport Canada.

Also, we got them the same time as everybody else, US included, 2012 model introduction year. :)

No, we didn't get the euro version, we get a US version, but without the emissions stuff, and specific to Canada bits required by Transport Canada.

Also, we got them the same time as everybody else, US included, 2012 model introduction year. :)

The Canadian version has abs as standard equipment and we never got the DCT.

I also noticed that the 750 seat came slightly further up the Frunk. maybe 1/2 an inch. And the material is grippy to keep the rider from sliding around.
Loved feel of the 750, I never had to change gears in the middle of an intersection.

Last edited:
Back