• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

650 v strom vs 750x dct

Lsdpoet

Reaction score
Visit site
Considering going from my 2019 v strom xt touring to a 750x dct...my friends are telling me I'm crazy because the v strom is a much better bike..
Has anyone had experience with both?
what is your opinion?
Thanks

Better in which way? Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Much of those are determined by the intended and actual use of the bikes.

Well the V strom is a great bullet proof bike, well supported in the after market, (as is the NC 750) but the V Strom won't get 74 mpg or shift for you like the DCT will.

I rode the WeeStrom several times when I was looking at 650 class bikes in 2011 and 2012. I really wanted to like this bike because they are so popular and have a great following but being a shorter rider at 5' 6" I did not like the top heavy feel of the bike and general quality of fit & finish. Used ones don't age as well as the Honda. Looks are definitely subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the looks of the Wee just didn't appeal to me. The NC's engine, frunk, and optional transmission was and still is genuinely different in this class of motorcycle and that did and still does appeal to me.

I also shopped the 650 V-strom and the Versys very hard along with the NCX in 2012. In the end I basically chose fuel economy and the built-in storage compartment (often called ‘the frunk’ here) of the NCX.

The ‘Zuk has noticeably more power and aftermarket support (the NCX may finally be catching up on that last one), and it’s physically bigger (more stretched-out ergos). As dduelin noted, that’s good or bad depending upon what you need.

The Honda has easier valve adjustments (not needed very often) and I think slightly easier maintenance overall. I’m not sorry I bought the NCX. I likely would not be sorry if I’d bought the Suzuki, either, apart from having to deal with the RideNow chain in this area. I can’t stand their way of selling bikes (of dealing with customers, maybe I should say?).

I guess that means I chose mpg, built-in storage, and not-RideNow.
(-:

I have both a 2019 Vstrom 650 and a 2014 NC700X DCT. I think Vstrom is better for adventure offroads, touring and twisties while NC is better for everyday commute and lanesplitting. If you only plan to use the NC for commute, then I think NC is better but I think Vstrom is better all-rounder if you like to do everything with it

I have a V-Strom 650 that I really like primarily because of the things I have installed. It has taken me many thousands of miles to distant places.
Very dependable.
However, have you ever tried to balance a bunch of concrete cinder blocks stacked on a chair that you are holding above your head?
Think of it, that wonderful V-twin engine is like a car on top of a flag pole.
What I am trying to say is that I hate how top heavy my V-Strom is. Even filling up the gas tank makes it more top heavy. The only way to make it less top-heavy is to put a huge amount weight (way more tools than I need) in the bottom of my hard case panniers to drop the center of gravity. All those instructional YouTube videos handling an adventure bike off road being demonstrated on low center of gravity R1200GS Beamers, - yah, right. Try showing me how to do that stuff on a top heavy bike.

Now, the NC750X. My wife was in a Honda showroom many months ago sitting on a 2020 NC750 after her experience on a maxi-scooter. She was hooked. She ordered the 2021 DCT model, yet to be delivered, but coming soon.
I sat on the NC750X (2020 model) and leaned it over on the showroom floor. Holy crap, that bike carries its mass way down low! I did a fake almost drop on the showroom floor to see how far I could lean it and have an easy time righting the bike. Dammit, the low center of gravity was pure joy compared to my beloved V-Strom 650.
I am almost talking myself into buying a NC750X. I would, but one new motorcycle at a time in the family. My wife will get the new NC. I will just drool.

If I were offered a NC750X similarly modified with the extras on my V-Strom including panniers, top box, crash bars, engine guard, Barkbusters, Oxford Heated grips, wide foot pegs, Eastern Beaver wiring harness, even trade for my bike,
I would trade UP to the NC750X in a heart beat. No question.
Let's face it, neither the V-Strom nor the NC750X has that great of a ground clearance claim.
My rough roads consist of muddy two-track. If a V-Strom can handle the ground clearance issues on my favorite muddy two-track road, certainly a NC750X can as well. Probably even better because of the lower center of gravity.
I just have so many modifications in my current V-Strom that keep me loyal.
Luckily I will help my wife install her extras on her new NC750X. I will be envious.

Last edited:
Before I bought my 2015 NC750X ABS, I had a Honda ST1300 which was becoming way too heavy for my aging muscles. There was also the VStrom 650 and Versys 650 on the short list. What made me select the NC instead of the two others was;

1. Low center of gravity
2. The frunk
3. Honda built quality with better fit and finish
4. Low maintenance including easy valve adjustments
5. Low revving engine
6. The sound of a 270° crank pin arrangement (compared to the Versys)
7. Fuel economy (and using regular gas)
8. Appearance (at par with the Versys, much better than VStrom especially with side cases)

Really happy with it after 2 years.

Yep the NC's and their variants have a really low centre of gravity, depite their weight. I have the X-Adv variant and I believe it is a few KG's heavier than my 2016 Strom. Yet there is no comparison in how they carry their weight especially at low speeds. In fact that X-Adv has positively spoiled me for other bikes. Proof of that was when I jumped off the X-Adv and on to a Guzzi V85 TT. I very much liked the Guzzi but it felt really top heavy. As such I felt rather insecure doing tight turns at low speeds. No issue with that when I jumped back on the Honda. The difference was amazing.

Great feedback, Griff. It only makes me sad because I like the V85TT so much (or think I would; none around here).

Great feedback, Griff. It only makes me sad because I like the V85TT so much (or think I would; none around here).

I certainly liked it too and if I were 60 (instead of 70) I would probably have one. Two friends, and some other folks I know, have them and love them.

Reactions: MZ5
Considering going from my 2019 v strom xt touring to a 750x dct...my friends are telling me I'm crazy because the v strom is a much better bike..
Has anyone had experience with both?
what is your opinion?
Thanks
I have had a couple of v stròms and toured Europe & UK many miles without any problems though the seat can get a bit hard after 200 miles or so but still a great bike to go anywhere.
A foot injury made me change to the DCT NC750X and I have no regrets super smooth and tauky so quick away from the lights and through country lanes it is a real gem. Both bikes are built down to a budget and would benefit from upgrades particularly the suspension but both have real character that you can build on.
I have no regrets buying the NC750X and look forward to enjoying it for many miles to come.
It's not the destination it's the journey.

I have had a couple of v stròms and toured Europe & UK many miles without any problems though the seat can get a bit hard after 200 miles or so but still a great bike to go anywhere.
A foot injury made me change to the DCT NC750X and I have no regrets super smooth and tauky so quick away from the lights and through country lanes it is a real gem. Both bikes are built down to a budget and would benefit from upgrades particularly the suspension but both have real character that you can build on.
I have no regrets buying the NC750X and look forward to enjoying it for many miles to come.
It's not the destination it's the journey.
Thanks for the input

In 2014 I did back to back test rides, 1 hr on an NC 700X and on a 650 V Strom from the same dealer. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 17.5 stones ( 245lbs) My impressions from the test rides were as follows:-
Handling. NC excellent . V Strom very good but a bit top heavy at low speed.
Suspension comfort. NC somewhat hard. V Strom plush and comfortable.
Power. I found both good, but V strom had more power than the NC, particularly higher up the rev range. Good low down power on NC,
Looks. I thought both looked good.
Carrying Capacity. The frunk was a big plus point on the NC.
Buffeting From Screen. Did not notice excessive buffeting from either screen on test rides.
Seat Comfort. NC a bit hard. V Strom excellent, spacious, supportive, and comfortable.
Size of Bike / general fit for me ( Taller rider). NC OK. V strom very spacious and comfortable.

The seat comfort, plush suspension, bigger bike, and more powerful engine swung it for me and I bought the V Strom. I kept it for 4.5 years and covered 17,000 miles. I only had normal servicing, and the only repair needed was one leaking fork seal. It was a good buy.

When I had covered a bit of mileage on the V strom this is what I noticed.
Excellent ride over poor UK roads with it's plush, comfortable suspension
Effortless engine.
A full size bike, which accommodated my above average size, very well.
Good mpg. Running in I got 80-mpg, overall normal use 71 mpg, trying to ride economically trying for max economy - 91 mpg.

Negative points.
The rider footrests are right in the way when you want to put your feet down when stopping, and are in in a very awkward position.
When I braked to come to stop, the forks dived a lot, and upset my balance, just before I finally stopped ( to cure this, I released the front brake and finally came to a stop just with rear brake, for the last couple of yards).
Horrendous buffeting from screen not noticed on test ride - cured by fitting Givi airflow screen.
Top heavy, unbalanced, low speed maneuvering, particularly when fully fuelled, although with practice in an empty car park I became more steady/confident, when practicing low speed manouvres.

I kept the bike for over 4yrs which is the 2nd longest time I have kept a bike, so I definitely liked it, and although like most bikes I have owned, it had it's negative points, I enjoyed owning it.

Shortly after I sold the V Strom, I bought a manual NC 750S, I kept it for only a few weeks before selling. ( very hard, jarring, front suspension and a lot of wind blast despite fitting taller touring screen with deflector. I liked the engine and handling, though.

One week ago, I bought an NC 750X DCT, I am still familiarizing myself with my latest bike. So far I like the DCT gears/auto change, excellent handling, good looks, good engine pulling power.
Neg Points
Front forks are hard ( but not as bad as my previous NC 750S model), and I am going to have to address the seating comfort.While it was OK on the 45 mins test ride, a few days ago I did 100miles, and the last hour was positively painful. I'd had 4 stops during that 100 miles as well! For my next ride I have fitted a sheepskin cover that I already have, and I will wear my padded cycling shorts - see if that is any better.

Those are my impressions of the NC 750X and the the 650 Suzuki V Strom having owned both models.

Attachments

• P1020115.JPG
    P1020115.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 12
  • P1010574.JPG
    P1010574.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 12
Ergonomics and low speed feel are crucial for riding. I looked at the NC700 DCT in 2013
but bought the CTX700 DCT because of seat (actually raised it one inch) height.
I was tired of lowering bikes.
Put 35K on the CTX, now sold and waiting for 2021 NC750X. I prefer my feet under me
and really wish it had a belt drive.

my brother has a WeeStrom, which I've ridden numerous times. It's REALLY top heavy compared to my NC700DCT -- very, very noticeable in the handling (and I dropped his a couple times). I've never had any issues keeping up with him in twisties or fire road/gravel roads, so I don't see much difference between the two. Maybe on tougher dirt roads the Wee would be better due to its 19" front tire, but I primarily notice how the Wee carries its weigh much higher than the NC700.

Had a big Strom for a few years and sold recently. Bought low milage2015 NC700 DCT. Strom was very powerful very loud and very top heavy. Hard to move around the garage without thinking I would drop it. Tall even with3/4" lowering links. The Nc700 wasn't on my short list of bikes to buy but rode it and it's so easy peasy to ride that I was sold. Strom was good bike but now that I am 67 and only5'7" I just didn't need what it offered. The Honda just carries it's weight so much better sure it's slower but it handles fine and in Sport mode it's fun on the back roads too. I have had lots of bikes since I was 16 including Harley and BMW and a bunch of Brit bikes but this one is fun and I am getting used to my left hand not having a lot to do.

I have only sat on one once at a Honda dealership, the tank was half full, I found the bike at 5'-8" to be very top heavy. A friend of mine has one and loves it. He redid the wiring on his bike and just for giggles he weighed the headlight housing and said it weighed 38 lbs.

Back