• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

$5,000 SONDORS Metacycle Soon To Hit American Market

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Electric vehicle manufacturer SONDORS has been preparing their upcoming electric motorcycle for the market – and with an impressive bang-for-buck aesthetic, buyers are curious to see how the SONDORS Metacycle will hold up to the daily commute life.
A side view of the SONDORS Metacycle

According to a report from ElecTrek, SONDORS anticipated releasing the MetaCycle in 2021 – and despite the restrictions of the past year, the company has released that they will be able to move forward ahead of schedule.

That means a release date for fall of this year – so let’s take a look at what they’re asking and what you’d be getting.

A side view of the SONDORS Metacycle

To be clear, the SONDORS Metacycle is not in the same category as its older e-Motorcycle siblings, the LiveWire One and ZERO SR/F.

With a claimed top speed of 80 mph (130 km/h) and a maximum range of 80 miles (130 km) per charge, it’s obvious the goal is urban accessibility over maximum performance.

A view of the battery removal on the SONDORS Metacycle

We’ve been given just over 4000Wh of superior EV cells in a removable battery pack, as well as a PMAC Hub Motor that uses a magnetic current to keep things running smoothly.

The beastie also rides on hydraulic brakes that feature a nifty anti-theft lock feature, as well as adjustable suspension, a digital full-color display, and full-fledged LED lights at the front and the back – everything riding on an exclusive cast “exo-frame” with a narrow profile to make the bike more reachable.

A side/back view of the SONDORS Metacycle

The bike even has a reverse function – an achievement that speaks to the company’s goals of providing practicality to the urban commuter.

Essentially, this bike is the cool, modern option for riders wanting a budget-friendly scoot without actually having to buy a scooter/moped.

A front view of a model riding the all-new SONDORS Metacycle

“With the average price of a new car costing $40,000 and many new electric motorcycles – like the LiveWire One and ZERO SR/S – coming in just as expensive, the SONDORS MetaCycle could find itself in an economical price-to-performance sweet spot, especially since the average American’s commute is only about 16 miles per day”, writes Electrek.

A view of three projects from SONDORS - the MetaCycle, SONDORS EV, and an electric bicycle.

Currently, you can check out the SONDORS MetaCycle on their website, though there isn’t yet a function to purchase anything.

A handful of bills (in the form of a $100 deposit) can be tossed to reserve your spot in the stereotypical pre-order style that has become so popular for many electric vehicle companies.

A view of the battery removal on the SONDORS Metacycle

We’re not sure if the American company will be able to make their 2021 deadline, or if we will see a repeat of the delays more similar to that of Damon Motorcycles.

Regardless, with the purported price of the MetaCycle skimming the bar at a stunning $5000, SONDORS will be giving the masses a run for their money…hopefully.

Stay tuned here at wBW, and make sure to check out our archives on all things electric.

The post $5,000 SONDORS Metacycle Soon To Hit American Market appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

Honestly I really like this little Sondors MetaCycle. Or at least I like the concept of it.

$5000 for a short range commuter bike, that is also highway capable for at least a few miles, seems like a great idea. My daughter, who lives in Chicago could easily use a short range commuter e-motorbike. So many commuters would find this an attractive combination. Given the limited range, ti is destined to be an urban commuter bike that is more stylish than a scooter, more capable than a scooter, but really is just a maxi scooter built into the form/shape of a small mortyclyce.

Seriously thinking of putting down the refundable $100 deposit.

There are lots of shortcomings with this bike, but if you think of it as a scooter in the form factor of a small bike it actually makes a reasonable amount of sense to be a short range commuter.

The price is right at least
Take a look at a low priced ZERO bike and they are over $10,000. Range on the ZERO is roughly 20% over the claimed range for this Sondors but the price is 100% higher. Both, due to very limited range, might be ideal as short range commuter bikes for urban/suburban dwellers who are riding maybe 15 miles each direction.

A bike with an 80 mile range would easily satisfy their ranges needs with a lot of riding time to spare for errands. This is just a super scooter, and that is not a bad thing. It operates like a scooter with no foot brake and dual hand brakes, the form factor makes it look like a motorcycle.

Nobody knows if Sondors will actually deliver the claimed performance but it will be interesting to see if they do, and if they do so, in decent numbers, it may actually steer the e-moto manufacturers into the urban commuting marketplace and focus on younger riders who need inexpensive transportation to get to work or school. If I was Sondors I'd focus on adding some optional carrying bags/cases to fill that big hole so people could transport some groceries, school books or a briefcase to make the bike even more urban practical.

Take a look at a low priced ZERO bike and they are over $10,000. Range on the ZERO is roughly 20% over the claimed range for this Sondors but the price is 100% higher. Both, due to very limited range, might be ideal as short range commuter bikes for urban/suburban dwellers who are riding maybe 15 miles each direction.

A bike with an 80 mile range would easily satisfy their ranges needs with a lot of riding time to spare for errands. This is just a super scooter, and that is not a bad thing. It operates like a scooter with no foot brake and dual hand brakes, the form factor makes it look like a motorcycle.

Nobody knows if Sondors will actually deliver the claimed performance but it will be interesting to see if they do, and if they do so, in decent numbers, it may actually steer the e-moto manufacturers into the urban commuting marketplace and focus on younger riders who need inexpensive transportation to get to work or school. If I was Sondors I'd focus on adding some optional carrying bags/cases to fill that big hole so people could transport some groceries, school books or a briefcase to make the bike even more urban practical.
Looks cool, but a hub motor is a red flag. Most hub motor motorcycles are upsized e-bikes. If you want actual highway capability, look at Energica, LiveWire, and Zero SR/DSR or above. Zero FX/S do highway okay but the batteries are low capacity, like this Sonders, and remember that wind resistance ( = energy usage) quadruples when speed doubles.

"you can check out the SONDORS MetaCycle on their website, though there isn’t yet a function to purchase anything." I guess that makes it vaporware

A $10,000 Zero (with a 7.2 kWh pack) will have almost double the battery size of the Sondors, and is highway capable. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m guessing the 80 mile projected range for the Sondors comes from something like a steady speed of 30 mph. You can’t fight the physics.

The article suggests a Zero SR/S costs $40,000. It’s MSRP is actually half of that. See Zero web site.

Do you think the Sondors has turn signals? Are they hidden somewhere?

If this is intended for urban dwellers, it would have been better with scooter type underseat luggage, or any kind of storage capability. They could have put a big frunk where that empty hole is. This machine looks like futuristic eye candy, but it’s lack of practicality suggests this manufacturer lacks real world market research experience. I think it will flop.

So how do the laws apply to electric motorcycles? Aren’t there special laws for under 50cc?
Licensing laws would be up to the state to decide. In my home state, if a scooter or motorcycle meets all 4 of the following criteria, no motorcycle license is required for the operator.
1) Cannot reach over 30 mph over some specified distance (I don’t remember).
2) Does not require operation of a clutch or gearbox.
3) Is less than 4 hp.
4) Is less than 50cc.
Since item 4 can’t apply, what would make sense to me is if the electric motorcycle or scooter could not meet all criteria 1 through 3, then a motorcycle license is required for the operator.

My state is not well equiped to deal with electric 2 wheelers. For instance, the vehicle title insists that an engine displacement be specified, even for an electric motorcycle. So, the state advised the dealer to just make something up. Often they use 600cc for a Zero.

A $10,000 Zero (with a 7.2 kWh pack) will have almost double the battery size of the Sondors, and is highway capable. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m guessing the 80 mile projected range for the Sondors comes from something like a steady speed of 30 mph. You can’t fight the physics.

The article suggests a Zero SR/S costs $40,000. It’s MSRP is actually half of that. See Zero web site.

Do you think the Sondors has turn signals? Are they hidden somewhere?

If this is intended for urban dwellers, it would have been better with scooter type underseat luggage, or any kind of storage capability. They could have put a big frunk where that empty hole is. This machine looks like futuristic eye candy, but it’s lack of practicality suggests this manufacturer lacks real world market research experience. I think it will flop.
Most of the analysis of the Sondors suggests 80 miles theoretical range, based on city/suburban riding off the highway. Probably more like 50 miles if highway is involved in some of the riding. It is clearly a city commuter bike.

Sondors has turn signals, integrated into the surround of the headlamp. Far from ideal.

Clearly the Sondors is about 1 step up from a Scooter. Or maybe a super-scooter. Looks to be scooter like dual handbrake controls, as opposed to hand/foot brakes like a motorcycle.

Sondors is saying their bike comes with a 4kWh battery. The is an optional 3kWh batter that fits in the void, prices for that upgrade is not determined, but that gives 7kWh for power and increased range. So there is some hope it might be more than a city + suburbs commuter super scooter. But even if the added battery boosts the price another $1500, we are still under $7000 and that is a bargain.

"you can check out the SONDORS MetaCycle on their website, though there isn’t yet a function to purchase anything." I guess that makes it vaporware
You can reserve your order. It is a $100 deposit to reserve a delivery in 2022.

But not outrite order one.

BTW, the $100 is refundable.

They are delivering eBikes, so not sure they are vaporware. That seems like an unfair statement. They have a history of delivering late, but they do actually deliver.

Most of the analysis of the Sondors suggests 80 miles theoretical range, based on city/suburban riding off the highway. Probably more like 50 miles if highway is involved in some of the riding. It is clearly a city commuter bike.

Sondors has turn signals, integrated into the surround of the headlamp. Far from ideal.

Clearly the Sondors is about 1 step up from a Scooter. Or maybe a super-scooter. Looks to be scooter like dual handbrake controls, as opposed to hand/foot brakes like a motorcycle.

Sondors is saying their bike comes with a 4kWh battery. The is an optional 3kWh batter that fits in the void, prices for that upgrade is not determined, but that gives 7kWh for power and increased range. So there is some hope it might be more than a city + suburbs commuter super scooter. But even if the added battery boosts the price another $1500, we are still under $7000 and that is a bargain.

You can reserve your order. It is a $100 deposit to reserve a delivery in 2022.

But not outrite order one.

BTW, the $100 is refundable.

They are delivering eBikes, so not sure they are vaporware. That seems like an unfair statement. They have a history of delivering late, but they do actually deliver.
We have 3 ICE scooters in the garage, so I’m no stranger to the scooter concept. The Sondors, in my opinion, is much closer to a bicycle than a scooter, in that is appears to have no weather/leg protection, nor cargo storage capacity, and it has a minimal seat (borrowed from a trials motorcycle, perhaps). I’d call the Sonders one step down from a scooter

Zero charges (hehe) $3000 for an extra 3.6 kWh battery pack. If Sondors can add 3 kWh for $1500, that would be awesome.

If one has the patience, maybe waiting a few years for Honda and it’s peers to release some battery powered actual scooters might be worth the wait. Larger dealer networks, the supposedly common battery packs, and maybe some luggage space would be nice.

Didn’t mean to put down the product. Surely to someone it’s exactly what they’re looking for.

Well maybe the Sondors is more of a small naked motorcycle than a scooter. But in usage terms it clearly has more capabilities than the vast majority of scooters with a top speed that makes it highway capable. Even with a range that is assumed to be overstated, and perhaps only 50 miles of range if you take it out on the highway, it will still get most commuters to their job in any major metro center in the US.

Back