• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

4.5 liters on oil change with over sized filter

The manual says that 4.1 liters would be required upon disassembly. So I think by moving the bike around during draining I got much more out than the 3.6 it lists..
The oil filter certainly isn't long enough to hold a liter of oil, it's only probably 2 inches longer.

But the dipstick reads ok, so I have to go with that. I've checked it several times now after rides.
Rocking the bike back and forth and getting more oil out definitely means that you’ll need to put more oil in. Makes total sense to me.

I also run the M1-110 filter (or equivalent) on both my Honda motorcycles and my Honda CR-V. (Currently I have a Bosch 3323 on my NC. It was on sale!). I do it solely for convenience, not because I think it’s better.

Normal oil change for me is a little less than 4 US quarts (manual transmission, draining on the side stand without rocking). Maybe I’ll rock the bike next time just for curiosity sake.

I don’t usually ride my NC 8000 miles in a year so my oil looks like new coming out anyway. There’s really no need for me to get every last drop out. My last oil change was 2 years and 4000 miles. It looked like I could have put it back in the bottle and sold it. I’m sure this is because the NC engine is so awesome, not because the oil filter is a little bit bigger.

JT

How do you guys normally drain the oil out, Sitting on the side stand or center stand?

How do you guys normally drain the oil out, Sitting on the side stand or center stand?
I don’t recall which way the bike sits when I drain the oil, but it is probably on the centerstand.

As a “side“ note, since the centerstand is an option on an NC7x0X, not standard equipment, all Honda service procedures will assume the owner has no centerstand. So when oil refill capacities are stated, Honda will assume the engine was drained of oil via the drain plug, with the bike on the sidestand. Oil level checks using the dipstick are assumed to be done with the bike held vertical, but not on the (optional) centerstand.

I did a triple check of the oil today and I did it by just holding the bike up level by hand, it certainly shows over filled now. I drained a little bit out and my reading are good now.

The thing with the dipstick is I seem to get different readings all the time. I try to be as precise with my checking as I can. Not sure why it's so fiddly, but hey, it's good now.
Thank you guys for second guessing me and making me go re-recheck.

One method of checking oil level with the dipstick is to start by straddling the bike with the bike on the sidestand. Clean the dipstick and insert it without screwing it in, and hold it there with your right hand. Slowly lean the bike up just to vertical, no further, then lean it back to the sidestand. Then remove and read the dipstick. The oil will have gone up to it’s highest point on the stick when the bike went full vertical. This method saves you from fumbling with reading the dipstick at the same time you are trying to hold the bike vertical.

Back