• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2nd Annual SGT

Would have liked to join you fellows last year but couldn't take time off during peak horse racing season. First Saturday in May through the end of the first week in June is Triple Crown season and tough to find a replacement in my line of work. So much as I'd like to meet up with everyone at the 2nd SGT, I'll have to wait until September when the HU event takes place in the same area. I do agree, planning is part of the fun and am already looking to upgrade to a better waterproof duffel like the one OCR recently posted a demonstration of.

I'm going to arrive at Fontana Dam campground Thursday night (8th) and leave Sunday (11th). Mpgandfun was arriving Friday, but is anyone else arriving Thursday and want to split a site? Thought I'd reserve something now before they're gone.

See you at the Fontana Dam Good Time, a.k.a. the Annual SGT!

Last edited:
Would have liked to join you fellows last year but couldn't take time off during peak horse racing season. First Saturday in May through the end of the first week in June is Triple Crown season and tough to find a replacement in my line of work. So much as I'd like to meet up with everyone at the 2nd SGT, I'll have to wait until September when the HU event takes place in the same area. I do agree, planning is part of the fun and am already looking to upgrade to a better waterproof duffel like the one OCR recently posted a demonstration of.

6.jpgWhy would anyone need a good reason to go to Deals Gap. The Dragon calls, just do it.

smileyfear.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Well, for years I was at or near Deals Gap the 2nd or 3rd weekend of May, a regular rite of spring. Last year for the 1st annual SGT my son graduated college on May 11th and this year my daughter's wedding date is May 10th.

All in all I wouldn't change a thing but I will miss camping and riding in the Smokies in May. Maybe 2015 for the 3rd?

Well, for years I was at or near Deals Gap the 2nd or 3rd weekend of May, a regular rite of spring. Last year for the 1st annual SGT my son graduated college on May 11th and this year my daughter's wedding date is May 10th.

All in all I wouldn't change a thing but I will miss camping and riding in the Smokies in May. Maybe 2015 for the 3rd?

Hopefully you'll have many more chances too come.

For those returning, do we want to hit the same roads we did last year? It would be nice to see that overlook again without all the rain clouds in the way. There are also plenty of other roads to explore as well. So what do you'll think?

New roads would be fun to explore. I also wouldn't mind hitting that overlook you mentioned. Maybe some locals on this site can give some suggestions for lesser known roads to
travel. Gonna google a site I came across a while back. It has rider reviews and some pics of the best motorcycle roads in the U.S.. It looked like a good source to find great roads to ride on.

I live in Ashevlle and know of many around Asheville, waynesville, bervard, little switzerland, that are mid technical to higher technical than the tail.

Posted this in the other dragon thread last month:
As the new year approaches this gathering gets closer to reality. If I haven't sold my house yet and moved to Virgina I will plan to be there this time. The Dragon can be excessively busy and dangerous on weekends. I have been there on a nice weekend when the traffic both directions averaged under 10 mph. I would strongly suggest arriving Thursday evening to do the Dragon on Friday ahead of the crowds. If youy have to do the Dragon on the weekend then get out of bed early while most of the Harley guys are still sleeping off last night's party. Before 10: AM it can be good but be advised Killboy sleeps in too so you may not get your picture taken. The cops also are more present on weekends and write lots of tickets.

There is a lot of good riding in the area to justify spending multiple days in the area and the other roads won't be as hectic on the weekend. Here are a coiuple I have led groups on.

This one takes Hellbender 28 / Moonshiner 28 down to Franklin then back via Wayah road and 129.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...sz=10&t=m&z=10

If up for a little longer ride continue oin 28 a few miles past Highlands then Warwomen road across to 441 and back up to Franklin and Wayah to 129. And how can you pass up a chance to ride a road properly named "Warwoman".
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...via=2&t=m&z=10

Another great loop including the Cherohala: If it is too many miles for some they can stay on 129 from Murphy back to Deals Gap.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...via=4&t=m&z=10

Right now it's under snow.

Just a reminder/heads up for the plan making, cell phones are useless in this area.
I think there is a good chance snow will melt before May.

Fontana Village has a Verizon tower. If you can't get it at the Dam, not far away. Another reason to consider Iron Horse is cell coverage and WiFi.

Anything other than Verizon has very little coverage in area. No coverage at Deals Gap, but Verizon has signal at overlook.

I sure hope the snow is gone by then or things could get interesting.

Not having cell coverage isn't a big deal just made it a little tricky when everyone was getting to the area, but it worked out.

Last year we went down and back on the Dragon, did the customary pics at the resort, fixed a tire, then took off to the motorcycle shop with that oversized bike then doubled back to whaya rd and followed that south into ga. After that we went back to the camp all soaked and stuff.

Most of the time I had no clue where we were or where we were going. I just rode. It was awesome!!!!! The good thing with going Mother’s Day weekend is it wasn’t busy. Campground wasn’t full and the Dragon wasn’t packed.

There's a one-way gravel road that goes into the Smoky Mtn Park in the southeast region that I wouldn't mind trying. It's called Balsam Mtn Road and you'd reach it off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Also, Cove Creek Road on the east side is tight and winding like the Dragon, but there's no traffic on it.

Link to map http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/grsmmap-edit-2.pdf

Last edited:
I'm game for tryin' 'em, Greg. It would be fun to hit a route or two that isn't cushy pavement, but not "CR250 minimum requirement needed" material. Maybe something just a little more adventurous than the road to the lookout tower we did last year...? Any thoughts from others?

Last edited:
I'm putting this down on the calendar and will be camping at Fontana Dam somewhere. Should I reserve a spot or have several already reserved a few for us late comers? Looking forward to getting back over that way....it's been six years since I've ridden that area and need to get back over there.
Mike

Back