• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2nd Annual SGT

frozenpoet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can never start the planning too early right? :D

So far, mothers day weekend. Most of us will be coming in that Friday May 9th and leaving that Sunday.

Fontana Dam is where we stayed last year and some/most of us are staying this year. Don't feel obligated to stay here as there are other campgrounds and hotels all over the place in the area. We can set up a meeting place and time later.

www.fontanavillage.com/

Last edited:
Barring an emergency or an important obligation I can't get out of, I will be there next year.
The roads in that area let the NC shine!

I plan on getting a small bow saw so I can get some wood for a campfire next year (and for
other trips I find myself on). It would be nice to sit around a fire and talk about the day's ride
and whatever else that comes to mind.

Last edited:
Now that we are half way through November, and some people are already packing their bikes away for the winter, I think it's time to start dreaming about next meeting.

Unless there are any major objections I think the time and place should carry on. Mothers-day weekend, Fontana Dam camping. Other than a bunch of Ducs running around the weather/traffic was good. ok, it rained a lot but the temps where good. The camp sites where nice and large and could probably fit four or five small tents on each site. So depending on the group size we could probably just rent two sites that are next to each other and have plenty of space.

May I make a suggestion. Instead of the Fontana Dam camping, how about Iron Horse Campground. They have tent camping available (I think $10.00 per night) and for people who don't camp (for various reasons) they have bunkhouses (<$40 per night) or cabins (around $80 per night). I would be interested but I don't camp; may come anyways and just spend the night(s) at Iron Horse-not that far from Fontana.

Fontana dam does have cabins and stuff like that, it's just not directly with the camp sites.
Thanks. IH camping is in the same area (you can see them anyways-across the creek) as the cabins.

Just looked, the cabins at Fontana are much more dinero $$$. I'll just ride the 15 minutes to IH.

Last edited:
I'm in! That weekend is fine. Wherever you wanna camp is fine. But let's get the date set now because I'm already planning some other trips and would hate to have any conflicts.

Greg

Edit: Just looked at Iron Horse site. Camping $15 per TENT, 1 person. Extra $$ for more tents and/or people.

Fontana Dam is $16.91 weekdays and $22.55 weekends per site and they didn't seem to care how many tents or people were on a site (up to 8). I put in a hypothetical 8 adults in the reservation and the price was the same as one adult. There was that one site last year that had 7 bikes, I assume 7 people, and eight tents on the one campsite! Fontana Dam would be the way to go if we set maybe three or four tents per site.

Mother's Day weekend is the best choice as the weekends before and after that weekend are already booked full for 2014.

Last edited:
I plan on getting a small bow saw so I can get some wood for a campfire next year (and for
other trips I find myself on). It would be nice to sit around a fire and talk about the day's ride
and whatever else that comes to mind.

I've never used one but on lots of the camping sites I'm on I've heard very positive things about pocket chainsaws...
$12-$26 on amazon, will get you 24-48"
figuring 48" will get you through a 2.5 foot wide log, and still fit comfortably in the frunk (or a pocket for that matter) might be something to consider.

personally I have a saw back machete I use for that kinda thing... but no where to store it on the bike.

Last year I got to freeload, so I will be paying for a site this year. Just got off the phone
with the resort. I put a deposit on one site for that weekend. Check in date of 5-9-14 & check out
date of 5-11-14. I didn't specify a site # yet. The same general area we had last year, the end opposite
the shower area/bathrooms?

I might be jumping then gun a bit, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get a site reserved. Better to be too soon, than too late.

Last edited:
I liked having those first 2 spots in the center. Plenty of room for multiple tents and we were away from the big groups. I’ll probably go ahead and reserve a spot soon and see if they will let me reserve that first one.

It's showing the sites as full as of now. I'm going to try to make it. Anyone know if there is any hammock camping allowed? Any trees around the site? I can bring a tent, but prefer to hang.

I just looked and the camping (hookup and no hookups) is open that weekend of May 9-12. Last year they had spaces available for the whole weekend and like last year the weekends before and after are booked way in advance.

I just looked and the camping (hookup and no hookups) is open that weekend of May 9-12. Last year they had spaces available for the whole weekend and like last year the weekends before and after are booked way in advance.

Derp...I was looking in the wrong month...sorry. That probably works better for me anyway.

mpgandfun, can I reserve a spot with you on your reserved site? I'll split the cost. If your site gets overwhelmed, I'll gladly reserve another and share it as well.

I guess at some point we need to tally the head count and site count. Though I guess it's still six months away, yet :( .

Greg

Back