• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the plunge and performed a DCT Reset. Bike seemed to have hard shifts ever since I got it. Thought I would give this try before taking it in to a shop. Very noticeable difference in shifting, much smoother, but still the comforting feel of a shift. Makes me wonder what the first owner of the bike was doing that the DCT learned that pattern. ;)

Took the plunge and performed a DCT Reset. Bike seemed to have hard shifts ever since I got it. Thought I would give this try before taking it in to a shop. Very noticeable difference in shifting, much smoother, but still the comforting feel of a shift. Makes me wonder what the first owner of the bike was doing that the DCT learned that pattern. ;)
The DCT has limited learning ability and only reacts to real time inputs. For instance if the rider is aggressive with throttle inputs when accelerating hard or attacking curves on a twisting road the transmission will hold shift points higher as long as large throttle openings are used. As soon as throttle openings return to normal it might hold one shift more at a higher shift point but shift points then immediately return to preprogrammed light throttle shift points.

Looks like the chain is finally worn to the replace point. Should probably do it this weekend. The back end was feeling a little different which caused me to do the inspection. Loose estimate at 42k km out of the DID chain. Slightly more than stock.

Saw some oil on the rear shock so wiped it down.
View attachment 50263
Pumped the rear suspension 10 times and it appears to have some leakage. Based on this do I need to be shopping for a new shock?
View attachment 50264
A shock leaking oil can’t be good. I can say that my original 2012 NC700X rear shock lost it’s oil and was useless at 29,000 miles on the bike. It probably wouldn’t hurt for you to round up a spare shock for eventual replacement.

The DCT has limited learning ability and only reacts to real time inputs. For instance if the rider is aggressive with throttle inputs when accelerating hard or attacking curves on a twisting road the transmission will hold shift points higher as long as large throttle openings are used. As soon as throttle openings return to normal it might hold one shift more at a higher shift point but shift points then immediately return to preprogrammed light throttle shift points.
Thanks for your explanation.

Along with ”half a Fit engine”, the DCT learning a rider’s riding behavior and that learned behavior being reset by the clutch initialization procedure are rumors or misunderstandings that just won’t go away.

Took it to LAX on Monday for a three-night trip to the East coast. Love instant free parking, especially given that the train construction makes LAX worse than its usual hellish self.
Flew back today, found it waiting for me and rode PCH through Malibu to get home. Not a bad way to deal with Jetlag.

Halfway through Malibu, I caught up with another NC. A 2020 model with a bunch of farkles and a great paint job. Couldn't take him on a beer offer, but we rode together until I had to turn off PCH. If you are on this forum, you have post a pic of your bike!

Wait, you parked a motorcycle in LA for 3 days and it was still there when you got back? Are you pulling our legs?

I've left it at LAX a couple times before, more than a week each time. Ground floor near the elevators in a high-traffic area. Free parking, closest to the terminals.
I put a flexible lock on the front wheel (can be cut, but would take a big tool), and cross my fingers real hard because its resale or parts value is lower than the beemers or ducatis nearby. I also count on bike thieves not being desperate enough to face the LAX loop nightmare (and a lot of bored cops, with no way out if they were to be seen). Works until one day it won't.
The sportsbike next to mine stayed longer than me, and had a bottle of gas resting across the handlebars, which also was oddly not stolen.

324 mile ride today scouting some roads near Ocala in advance of a November sport touring rally. On the way to Ocala I took two pictures of two interesting (to me anyway) things that are located in the Port of Green Cove Springs. First is a fuel tank for the now retired Space Shuttle program. This tank was built for stress testing of the shuttle's structure. It ended up here in 2013 on it's way to a museum about 40 miles away. After moving by barge to Green Cove Springs it was deemed too expensive to move the last 40 miles on public roads so here it sits. You can't see from the picture but the tank lies in a cradle that is actually a powered vehicle. The driver sat in a small control station with a steering wheel and a set of foot pedals. A small engine next to the control station ran a hydraulic pump which powered small hydraulic motors at each wheel. The small ship behind my bike is Atlantis II which was made famous by Robert Ballard. It was the support vessel for the deep sea submersible Alvin which was used in Ballard's 1986 oceanographic mapping and photgraphic survey of the wreck of the RMS Titantic. Atlantis II's last owner fell on hard times and the vessel has languished in the Jacksonville area for years.

On the way home the rear tire pressure dropped to 22 lbs before I noticed it on the TPMS. I pulled over on the side of the road in the Ocala National Forest and reinflated the tire to 42 psi with a small compressor I carry. The tire picked up a foreign object dead center in the tread and I could have plugged it if need be but I elected to stop and pump it up again several times in 90 miles. I seemed to be losing about .5 psi a minute but the skies were threatening storms so I kept moving. This particular Slime pump is about 15 years old and kept me going maybe 10 times now.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2339.jpg
    IMG_2339.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
1.jpg
Chain and sprockets today.
2.jpg
I would say that the drive sprocket looked a little hooked.
3.jpg
The new rear sprocket is black...ooo...aaaa
4.jpg
I stole the idea of a different colour of master link to help with knowing the rotation point for lubing. I like it. Plus if I screw it up I have a spare that just matches the chain.

324 mile ride today scouting some roads near Ocala in advance of a November sport touring rally. On the way to Ocala I took two pictures of two interesting (to me anyway) things that are located in the Port of Green Cove Springs. First is a fuel tank for the now retired Space Shuttle program. This tank was built for stress testing of the shuttle's structure. It ended up here in 2013 on it's way to a museum about 40 miles away. After moving by barge to Green Cove Springs it was deemed too expensive to move the last 40 miles on public roads so here it sits. You can't see from the picture but the tank lies in a cradle that is actually a powered vehicle. The driver sat in a small control station with a steering wheel and a set of foot pedals. A small engine next to the control station ran a hydraulic pump which powered small hydraulic motors at each wheel. The small ship behind my bike is Atlantis II which was made famous by Robert Ballard. It was the support vessel for the deep sea submersible Alvin which was used in Ballard's 1986 oceanographic mapping and photgraphic survey of the wreck of the RMS Titantic. Atlantis II's last owner fell on hard times and the vessel has languished in the Jacksonville area for years.

On the way home the rear tire pressure dropped to 22 lbs before I noticed it on the TPMS. I pulled over on the side of the road in the Ocala National Forest and reinflated the tire to 42 psi with a small compressor I carry. The tire picked up a foreign object dead center in the tread and I could have plugged it if need be but I elected to stop and pump it up again several times in 90 miles. I seemed to be losing about .5 psi a minute but the skies were threatening storms so I kept moving. This particular Slime pump is about 15 years old and kept me going maybe 10 times now.

I was driving on the northwest side of Ocala (horse errands) on Saturday..on hwy 27, highway 40, cr326. Only saw a handful of riders and none were atgatt....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back