• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went for a small group ride today with 4 HD riders. It's hilarious they think the NC is a sport bike.
What? It isn’t a sport bike? Depends on what decade you’re talking about Lol. In 1970 the sport bike to have was a Triumph Bonneville 650. Put out 47 hp, no doubt at the crank, which means about 35 at the rear wheel. Tough to control such power back then.

After I came home from my 160 km ride out to the cottage and back I pulled off the aftermarket can on my bike and put the stock muffler back on.
Time to enjoy the "sewing machine" peace and quiet again.

I know some people enjoy the sound of a louder pipe, but the incessant droning from the Vance and Hines on my 81 GS 1100E convinced me that I like quiet better. Havent had an after market pipe since. I actually find the stock pipe on my NC too loud at times.

I know some people enjoy the sound of a louder pipe, but the incessant droning from the Vance and Hines on my 81 GS 1100E convinced me that I like quiet better. Havent had an after market pipe since. I actually find the stock pipe on my NC too loud at times.
At one time, I wanted the 2016+ NCX muffler just for it’s looks, but I’m told it is louder than the 2012-15 stock round can, thus I lost all interest in the newer style. I’ll gladly keep my stock ‘12 muffler. If there was an aftermarket muffler quieter than stock I would buy it, but at some point much of the motorcycle noise is engine/transmission mechanical, drive chain, and tire noise that you can’t get rid of. Then you also have wind noise to deal with.

My 2017 X-Adv has the later (OEM) silencer and I think it is just right. I recall that on my former 2012 I found it too quiet. There were times when I came up on cylists on the road and they had no idea I was there. On occasion I had to sound the horn to make them aware of my presence. That can be counter productive also. With the 2017 silencer they hear me but it is still not loud enough to be a nuisance to me. Wind roar thru my helmet is much more of a problem tbh.

My 2017 X-Adv has the later (OEM) silencer and I think it is just right. I recall that on my former 2012 I found it too quiet. There were times when I came up on cylists on the road and they had no idea I was there. On occasion I had to sound the horn to make them aware of my presence. That can be counter productive also. With the 2017 silencer they hear me but it is still not loud enough to be a nuisance to me. Wind roar thru my helmet is much more of a problem tbh.
How do the cyclists hear cars with quiet exhausts coming? Tire noise? I don’t read much about cars owners needing louder mufflers.

I notice when riding my Zero (that has no exhaust) that animals and pedestrians still notice my presence. The motor, drive belt, and dual sport tire noise seems to be adequate.

How do the cyclists hear cars with quiet exhausts coming? Tire noise? I don’t read much about cars owners needing louder mufflers.

I notice when riding my Zero (that has no exhaust) that animals and pedestrians still notice my presence. The motor, drive belt, and dual sport tire noise seems to be adequate.
A post I made relative to this in the past. I still think it's funny!

When a Tesla drives by me, it sounds like any other non-high performance car, which means tire noise only.
However, when I heard a Harley Livewire drive by, it sounded like a small gas turbine, which was very cool.

When a Tesla drives by me, it sounds like any other non-high performance car, which means tire noise only.
However, when I heard a Harley Livewire drive by, it sounded like a small gas turbine, which was very cool.
Harley reportedly designed some gear whine into the Livewire so it would sound like a motorcycle

Harley reportedly designed some gear whine into the Livewire so it would sound like a motorcycle
Increased noise may have been Harley’s excuse for designing more complexity into the machine using gears. Zero motorcycles offer similar performance to the Livewire, but there are no gears anywhere on my Zero motorcycle; motor directly turns belt that turns wheel. I have not compared noise levels of Livewire and Zero, but I suspect the Zero sounds better, as in quieter, because it has fewer moving parts.

My statement is fact 670. I don't make things up.

I came up behind cyclists on tight mountainous backroads on occasions on my 2012 NC700X and they didn't hear me. When I sounded the horn they got a fright because of it. That annoyed them hence the counter productivity.

My statement is fact 670. I don't make things up.

I came up behind cyclists on tight mountainous backroads on occasions on my 2012 NC700X and they didn't hear me. When I sounded the horn they got a fright because of it. That annoyed them hence the counter productivity.
I did not dispute your statement or say that it was not fact.

What you described aroused my interest on the vehicle noise subject. I’m just curious, in a general way, why motorcycle exhausts are seemingly important for detectability by bicyclists (and perhaps by pedestrians), whereas the automobile world should have the same issues but does not aim to adopt louder exhaust as the solution. I wondered if there is something else about cars that makes them possibly more detectable than motorcycles, like maybe the tire noise.

I live on a private 2 mile long road that is surrounded by trees with flats, curves and dips. My house is some 300 feet down over a hill to one side of the road. Sitting on the front porch I hear cars coming long before I see them due to tire noise. Walkers in our neighborhood move to the side of the road, when they hear car tires coming before turning to see the cars.

I live on a private 2 mile long road that is surrounded by trees with flats, curves and dips. My house is some 300 feet down over a hill to one side of the road. Sitting on the front porch I hear cars coming long before I see them due to tire noise. Walkers in our neighborhood move to the side of the road, when they hear car tires coming before turning to see the cars.
I walk in an area that has no sidewalks and narrow paved roads--I always hear cars coming up behind me and I usually have earbuds in--tire noise
We’re probably on to something here. My Zero electric motorcycle has dual sport tires on it, so maybe that is why people and animals seem to hear me coming, even with no exhaust sound. Like dduelin wrote, loud tires save lives.

Sorry I got off topic in this thread.

When I owned my Goldwing F6B I would often startle pedestrians walking on the roadway, only because the engine and tires were so quiet.
I also had to give a tap of the horn to alert them.
And that Goldwing had dual car horns, not a feeble kazoo like the NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back