• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHA, we had similar weather. It was about 29F and sunny so i went for a 105 mile ride. I stopped to get some photos for the game of tag and my stupid old i6 had gotten so cold in my pocket it shut down. So, only one pic today! None-the-less it was a great ride, cold but really enjoyed getting out and riding a second time in Jan 2022!! :{)IMG_8158[3745].JPG

Last edited:
HAHA, we had similar weather. It was about 29F and sunny so i went for a 105 mile ride. I stopped to get some photos for the game of tag and my stupid old i6 had gotten so cold in my pocket it shut down. So, only one pic today! None-the-less it was a great ride, cold but really enjoyed getting out and riding a second time in Jan 2022!! :{)
Here yesterday the daytime temperatures were around -15C (5F). My bikes have been in storage for about 3 months already and probably have another 2 months to go before reliable riding weather hits, though I'll possibly have the odd decent (but chilly) day in a little over a month.
Another winter storm warning (seemingly a weekly occurrence) for us for this weekend bringing up to 40cm (16") of snow and then 6 hours of freezing rain, coupled with 100km/h (62MPH) winds.

No riding today, started snowing yesterday evening, snowed all night, still snowing.uggg. Going to be in mid 50s Tuesday lol. Crazy weather.

It was pretty cold this morning but heated gloves, grips, and jacket made this morning's 113 mile ride to Fernandina Beach very comfortable. The boats are tied up in Egan's Creek. When I owned a sailboat I made the 110 mile round trip from my home marina to here and back in 3 or 4 days. This morning it took three hours going the long way. The lighthouse is the Amelia Island Light marking the St. Mary's River inlet. Picture from the Jean Ribault A1A ferry across the St. Johns River to close the 113 mile loop.

28 degrees.PNG Egans Creek Fernandina Beach.jpgSt Marys Light.jpgAlA ferry.jpg

Last edited:
Lol it was warmer that that here this morning, but the snow ice remmnants left over from Thursday's winer storm prevent any riding here..at least for another day or so. Going up to 53 Tuesday should be able to get out by then.

Lol it was warmer that that here this morning, but the snow ice remmnants left over from Thursday's winer storm prevent any riding here..at least for another day or so. Going up to 53 Tuesday should be able to get out by then.
Even when it's that cold here at sunrise it's usually 20 to 30 degrees warmer by noon. It's very rare to have temps under 32 degrees for more than a few hours.

Ferret, this is what the models show for our areas next week. Tuesday will be 50ish, but then sometime between Tuesday night and Thursday morning, the bottom is going to drop....I hope the models are wrong, but they have been accurate so far this winter....

1643582780868.png

It’s not what I did to or with my NC today, but what I did FOR it. I made sure the driveway is cleared of snow, and I got some of my outdoor forestry work done today so I can set aside a little time to ride the NC tomorrow! Expected high temperature Monday at one time was predicted 43 F, now expected to be 39 F. Oh well, that’s not bad locally for end of January.

Ferret, this is what the models show for our areas next week. Tuesday will be 50ish, but then sometime between Tuesday night and Thursday morning, the bottom is going to drop....I hope the models are wrong, but they have been accurate so far this winter....

View attachment 48141
Gasp ..... man I hope they are wrong.

Swapped battery maintainers on my garaged NC.
I was using a CTEK MUS 4.3, went to CTEK Polar MUS 4.3
The difference is that the Polar has a setting for sub-freezing ambient temps that boost part of the 7 step charging process to 15V instead of 14.6V to achieve a better charge.
My garage is below freezing for at least 3 months all winter.
The non-polar version will go down my basement on a car battery.

Last edited:
Swapped battery maintainers on my garaged NC.
I was using a CTEK MUS 4.3, went to CTEK Polar MUS 4.3
The difference is that the Polar has a setting for sub-freezing ambient temps that boost part of the 7 step charging process to 15V instead of 14.6V to achieve a better charge.
My garage is below freezing for at least 3 months all winter.
The non-polar version will go down my basement on a car battery.

According to a US Army Corps of Engineers report, lead acid battery self discharge lessens as the temperatures get colder. A fully charged battery stored at a typically encountered cold winter temperature will not freeze and the self discharge is negligible. So, the Polar model charger seems to be an answer to a question nobody asked. A battery stored over winter in a polar climate doesn't even need a charger/maintainer, unless you have parasitic loads you are trying to manage. In that case, just disconnect the battery cables.

I store my toys, one car, and the landscaping equipment (16 total lead acid batteries) in an unheated building (temps could drop as low as -23F or -30C but typically not lower than -10F or -23C) so I don't really need to worry about battery charging. In addition, it is my experience that the batteries enjoy a longer overall life when stored outside or in an unheated building in the winter season. Bringing the batteries into a warm environment for storage would be counterproductive.

Key applicable comments shown below from the report at https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a239115.pdf

“Storage
Batteries should be stored in a cold place, say, about -15 degrees C,
although when fully charged to a specific gravity of 1.280 or greater
they can be stored at -1 degrees C indefinitely without deteriorating. . .
. . . In addition, all batteries experience some degree of self-discharge
during storage. This can be greatly reduced by storing them at lower
temperatures.”

Last edited:
A battery stored over winter in a polar climate doesn't even need a charger/maintainer, unless you have parasitic loads you are trying to manage. In that case, just disconnect the battery cables.

After 2-4 weeks, most cars and trucks would be electrically dead if not put on a maintainer.
A gen 6 Goldwing with remote FOB and keyless ignition, as well as a myriad of electronic gizmos, also comes to mind.
Every motorcycle owner I know in a cold climate like where I live uses a maintainer rather than disconnecting their battery for the winter.

I don't think too many NC owners are keen on disconnecting their batteries.
The'21 battery terminals from what I have read are a lot easier to access than the recessed and cramped terminals on the earlier versions.

Last edited:
Heat will kill a battery before cold. Never got more than 3 years out of a battery (car or bike) when I lived in Texas.
Yes. Anecdotal evidence from the forum supports that. NC owners in southern Arizona seem likely to get 2 years life from a battery. I live in a colder climate and 8 years battery life is my norm.

The 2012-2020 NCX battery located forward of the frunk and above the engine may not help the heat situation, but I hope that the 2021 and 2022 NCX battery location at the rear of the frunk may lower battery temperature just a little.

Tell me one modern passenger vehicle that doesn't have a parasitic load.
After 2-4 weeks, most cars and trucks would be electrically dead if not put on a maintainer.
A gen 6 Golwing with remote FOB and keyless ignition, as well as a myriad of electronic gizmos, also comes to mind.

Do you know how to re-sync the power windows on your Subaru after its battery has been disconnected or gone dead from parasitic load?
It's certainly not in the owner's manual.
Ask me how I know.

I really can't believe that you'd poo-poo a maintainer in lieu of disconnecting the battery and losing all your pre-sets.
I thought in post #74 we were talking about the NC you store in a below freezing garage, the one you put the Polar charger on. If you were to not bother with a charger and instead just left it as is, how much would the battery discharge? Or if you disconnected the battery, what important presets would you potentially lose on your NC?

On cold stored vehicles with computer memories and parasitic loads, like remote control receivers and anti theft devices, you will want a battery maintainer. However, the charger/maintainer is not for battery maintenance so much, but is needed as a power supply for the constant loads.

There is certainly no problem or harm in using a maintainer, but my question is, why would a battery maintainer need to be more aggressive in a "polar" climate, when charging needs or necessity are actually reduced or eliminated?

No presets on my NC, just making a shout-out about CTEK's Polar model for those who want to best maintain their battery in anything when stored below freezing for months on end, parasitic loads or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back