• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 Zero DSR [Model Overview]

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
2021 Zero DSR: An Electric Dual-Sport For All Riding Styles​

Contents

Why limit yourself to one style of riding when you can take your motorcycle quite literally anywhere? This is the exact niche that dual-sport motorcycles seek to fill, and more specifically, the Zero DSR.

Buying a dirt bike or dirt specific motorcycle can be a real pain because you just unknowingly signed yourself up for purchasing a truck or trailer to haul the thing around as well. That isn’t the case with dual-sport motorcycles as they allow you to ride to your desired off-road destination without sacrificing comfort on the paved ride out.

The American-built 2021 Zero DSR brings a layer of off road flair to the Zero Motorcycles 2021 lineup with a bike tailored to both on and off-road riding styles.

The bike features the same ZF 14.4 kWh (compared to the 7.2 kWh battery found on the smaller Zero DS model) battery pack system found on their high-end EV bikes and packages it around a dirt-ready frame and formfactor for maximum ADV potential.

With a total combined range of 122 miles (196km), you may be needing a little extra juice for your journey into the unknown. Zero understands this, and has included their hot-swappable battery tech so you can strap an extra down on your ride to double your distance; much like how most ADV riders will bring a jerry can of extra fuel on their journey.

The top of the ladder for packages offered in this model is the DSR Black Forest edition coming with full aluminum side and top cases and all the best adventure-style features Zero can provide along with new colors and graphics.

The 2021 Zero DSR starts at $15,495 USD / $20,595 CAD

On this page: we’ve curated specs, features, news, photos/videos, etc. so you can read up on the new 2021 Zero DSR in one place.

2021 Zero DSR

Motorcycle Overview​

General Info

• Price: $15,495 USD / $20,595 CAD
  • Key Features:
    • Standard ABS (Bosch Gen 9 ABS)
    • 102 MPH (163 km/h) top speed
    • Eco / Sport mode (fully customizable using Zero Motorcycles app)
    • Passively air-cooled permanent magnet AC motor
    • Fully adjustable front and rear suspension
    • 122 mile (196 km) total combined range
    • Five year unlimited mile power pack warranty

Main Specs

• Engine: 14.4 kWh Battery
  • Power: 70 BHP
  • Torque: 116 lb-ft
  • Wet Weight: 419 lb (190 kg)
  • Seat Height: 33.2 inches (843 mm) at lowest point

Competitors

2021 Zero DSR

2021 Zero DSR Specifications​

Engine
Peak torque
116 ft-lb (157 Nm)
Peak power
70 hp (52 kW) @ 3,500 rpm
Top speed (max)
102 mph (163 km/h)
Type
Z-Force® 75-7R passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux, interior permanent hi-temp magnet, brushless motor
ControllerHigh efficiency, 775 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with regenerative deceleration
Lubrication

Drivetrain
TransmissionClutchless direct drive
Clutch
Final Drive90T / 20T, Poly Chain® HTD® Carbon
™
belt

Chassis
Suspension FrontShowa 41 mm inverted cartridge forks, with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Suspension RearShowa 40 mm piston, piggy-back reservoir shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Brakes FrontBosch Gen 9 ABS, J-Juan asymmetric dual piston floating caliper, 320 x 5 mm disc
Brakes Rear
Bosch Gen 9 ABS, J-Juan single piston floating caliper, 240 x 4.5 mm disc
Tires FrontPirelli MT-60 100/90-19
Tires RearPirelli MT-60 130/80-17
Fuel Tank CapacityN/A
Color

Power system
Power pack
Z-Force® Li-Ion intelligent integrated
Charger type1.3 kW, integrated
Charge time (standard)9.8 hours (100% charged) / 9.3 hours (95% charged)

Dimensions
Wheelbase
56.2 in (1,427 mm)
Overall Width
Trail
4.6 in (117 mm)
Rake
26.5°
Seat Height33.2 in (843 mm)
Curb Weight
419 lb (190 kg)

Warranty
Warranty
2 years
Extension

2021 Zero DSR

2021 Zero DSR Features​

Always Dialed

Crossing from smooth asphalt to loose gravel fire roads? All good. Change performance profiles at the press of a button to master any terrain. The Zero DS is pre-programmed with Eco or Sport modes and performance can be fully customized using the Zero Motorcycles app where you can also see detailed ride stats.
Torque Beast

The Zero DS delivers silent stump-pulling torque, churning up to an outrageous 116 ft-lb—more than any fuel-burning production literbike. Twist the throttle. With this stealth force hurling you forward, you’ll easily leave gas bikes behind.

No shifting, vibration or fumes. The industry leading Z-Force® powertrain effortlessly drives your adventure as your motorcycle seems to silently disappear beneath you.
Charge Up to 6x faster

Grab lunch. Have a coffee. Recharge. Live your life while adding up to 94 miles of range for every hour you’re plugged in. The Charge Tank option is compatible with Level 2 charge stations and delivers roughly 6x faster charging than when compared to a standard wall outlet. Depending on the battery, a typical recharge can now take as little as an hour.
Charging. Meet household outlet.

No special equipment required: your standard household outlets can be used as fueling stations for a fraction of the cost of gasoline. Plug in at night and start the day with a full tank.
Long Range Battery Tech

The Zero DS carries the highest power and energy density battery in the EV industry. With over thirteen years of rigorous off-road experience, the Z-Force® battery confidently delivers you to your destination.
Pull the plug on maintenance

Blast down a fire road. Get dirty. Live in the moment. At the end of your adventure the Zero DS only asks that you plug in. No need to replace clogged filters or dirty oil. The Z-Force® powertrain eliminates the fossil burner mess, trading oil, spark plugs, clutches and filters for a motor with a single moving part. The Zero DS’s ripping acceleration is delivered through a carbon fiber belt that directly connects the motor to the rear wheel. Chain maintenance is a thing of the past.

2021 Zero DSR Photos​

2021 Zero DSR
2021 Zero DSR
2021 Zero DSR
2021 Zero DSR

2021 Zero DSR Videos

Links​

Zero Motorcycles Websites

Social Media Links

The post 2021 Zero DSR [Model Overview] appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

I tested this one yesterday. It's soooooo fun to ride it. And so easy. Easier than DCT. :D
Tried Sport mode - almost throw me off the saddle. Switched back to Eco mode immediately.

Sadly, waaaay of my budget.

I tested this one yesterday. It's soooooo fun to ride it. And so easy. Easier than DCT. :D
Tried Sport mode - almost throw me off the saddle. Switched back to Eco mode immediately.

Sadly, waaaay of my budget.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to test ride one next week.

I don't understand why Zero chose to configure a dual sport to have 70 bhp and a top speed of 102 mph. Range is the biggest problem with electric bikes. For a dual sport, I would have liked to see more range, not a maximum 102 mph speed.

If I decide not to buy an electric bike, it will be because it can't go far enough, not because it can't go fast enough.

I don't understand why Zero chose to configure a dual sport to have 70 bhp and a top speed of 102 mph. Range is the biggest problem with electric bikes. For a dual sport, I would have liked to see more range, not a maximum 102 mph speed.
If I decide not to buy an electric bike, it will be because it can't go far enough, not because it can't go fast enough.

Exactly my thoughts.
Until the power tank and fast charger are standard, and it's not more than $15K, I don't even think about it.
By the way, in one moment I had full throttle in Eco mode and reached 69 mph - and that was it. Maybe it can do over 100 mph only in Sport mode?

I test rode the Zero DSR today. Very low speed throttle control for u-turns and parking lot maneuvers was amazingly simple. The steering lock came sooner than with the NC, so the turning radius on the DSR was a bit wider. Power delivery in Eco mode is very friendly; it felt about like a 300cc smoker bike. Switching to Sport mode unleashes the beast. People speak of the Zero’s strong acceleration capability, but I was not adequately prepared. This thing is seriously downright scary in how it launches. I went full throttle sport mode only twice, for about a second or two each time, once to experience it, then again to prove to myself it really happened. Afterwards I had that woozy, nauseating, malaise feeling like I had just gotten off a roller coaster. I guess that’s why I didn’t have a career in drag racing. Even if I buy one of these I don’t think I’ll ever go full throttle in sport mode again. There is a customizable Custom mode where you can limit the power to your liking, say somewhere between Eco and Sport.

The model I tried seemed a little top heavy, but it had the “charge tank” option that adds a little more weight up high. In standard configuration the DS and DSR (and other models) have a frunk, about half the size of an NC frunk.

Even though the suspension has about 7 inches of travel and the front wheel is 19”, I was able to flat foot the bike a bit easier than with the NC700X. The suspension is fully adjustable, but the way it was set, it seemed too stiff for dual sport riding. I would need to tweak it.

With the direct drive motor, power is available instantly no matter what the speed. There is a lot less complexity and drama than with a gear box (manual or automatic), and it even has more consistent and readily available power delivery than a CVT. The drive belt tension is adjustable, but since the drive sprocket is concentric with the swingarm pivot, there is no need for any belt slack. With no gearbox or chain slop, there is no driveline slop. When doing a slow maneuver, on-off throttle movements transfer instantly to the rear wheel, with no slop involved.

With the Zero, you get rid of spark plugs, air filter, engine oil and filter, coolant, clutch(es), gear box, chain drive and it’s mess, valve adjustments, gasoline, and exhaust fumes and noise. The rotating parts are just the motor and the two wheels. You have some whine from the motor and belt drive, but it’s pretty quiet.

When I came to a stop, it was dead quiet, and my first thought was, “crap, the engine died.” Then I remembered there was no engine.

Back