• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You decide:
You decide:

I’ve lived long enough with NCs that when I can lift the chain and just about touch the underside of the swing arm with it - that’s about 45 mm when measured on the center stand. I like to keep it between 35 to 45 - measured on the center stand - so it’s time to loosen the axle nut and adjuster lock nuts, wedge the plastic handle of an old screwdriver I use expressly for this between the lower chain run and the sprocket, and turn the adjustment nuts 180 degrees, tighten everything up. The caternary will be about 35 mm. I have a Motion Pro alignment tool but I don’t use it every time as my method adjusts each side equally.

On all of the chain drive bikes I have owned, I just use my carpenter's square against the side of the rear sprocket to check alignment. It is long enough that the slightest misalignment is noticeable. The motion pro tool would have been nice 46 years ago when I got started.

I treat my chain like the valves, trend towards the loose end of the specification.

Picked up some parts at the store for coming maintenance. Will be a biggie. Front tire, valve check, oil change, air filter and fork oil.

Also worked on my rain gear repair. Before showing seam that is no longer heat sealed.
IMG_20211002_223329.jpg
After prep and application. Used a bamboo kabob stick as an applicator. Glue is kind of thick and stringy. Cleaned surface with alcohol. Says it takes 8-12 hours to cure. We will see in the morning. We get enough rain here so the sealing power will definitely get tested.
IMG_20211002_223443.jpg

Picked up some parts at the store for coming maintenance. Will be a biggie. Front tire, valve check, oil change, air filter and fork oil.

Also worked on my rain gear repair. Before showing seam that is no longer heat sealed.
View attachment 46842
After prep and application. Used a bamboo kabob stick as an applicator. Glue is kind of thick and stringy. Cleaned surface with alcohol. Says it takes 8-12 hours to cure. We will see in the morning. We get enough rain here so the sealing power will definitely get tested.
But did you forget to pick up a gallon of SAE Blinker Fluid? I didn't see that on you list.

Keep us informed about the rain gear repair. I think everyone struggles with rain gear, tent seams, etc.

Today i rode down to a little cafe in Post Falls Idaho called "Duelin' Irons" and had breakfast, then east across Idaho over to Superior Montana, then all the way back west through Idaho again to the South Hill area in Spokane Washington, then back home to Idaho. Rode a total of 295 miles today, what a great 70f day and a super cool solo ride! Nearly unbelievable that i failed to even stop for any pictures...bummer too as there were lots of opportunities that i missed.

Breakfast= 2 blueberry Crepes', 2 eegs, spuds & coffee haha!

IMG_7283[1795].jpg

Update on the clutch init I did a few days ago : Absolutely worth it. If you haven't done it, give it a try.
Did my usual week-end trip across the Santa Monica mountains. Gear shifts are smoother and do not upset the bike as much as they used to. Oddly, I think some downshifts seem to take a fraction longer to feel the rev up of the engine. I'll keep an eye/ear/butt_cheek on it, because it clicks (fainter than before), so it should be in gear.
Also, after the Santa Ana winds, the views from the top of Malibu were amazing, towards the islands and mountains 40+ miles away, but especially where the smog usually sits over LA and San Fernando. Millions of people were breathing better than usual. I need to stop being late, so I can pause for pictures.

Update on the clutch init I did a few days ago : Absolutely worth it. If you haven't done it, give it a try.
Did my usual week-end trip across the Santa Monica mountains. Gear shifts are smoother and do not upset the bike as much as they used to. Oddly, I think some downshifts seem to take a fraction longer to feel the rev up of the engine. I'll keep an eye/ear/butt_cheek on it, because it clicks (fainter than before), so it should be in gear.
Also, after the Santa Ana winds, the views from the top of Malibu were amazing, towards the islands and mountains 40+ miles away, but especially where the smog usually sits over LA and San Fernando. Millions of people were breathing better than usual. I need to stop being late, so I can pause for pictures.
I got hammered on the ctx700 forum for suggestion this to someone who was having similiar issue.....received replies by many that if the clutch(s) are not replaced, not to do the clutch init procedure.....sorry for their loss, I dont go to the site anymore....

If periodic clutch initialization is a worthwhile task, it’s too bad Honda didn’t make this an automatic process that happens behind the scenes without operator intervention. The DCT in my Ford car has never required such an initialization since the clutch was last replaced 40,000 miles ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back