• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for coffee.

920BD976-47A6-4830-90D5-27578AE5F344.jpeg

My favorite blend from Kookaburra on Anastasia Island then time to leave the beach before it gets crowded and head west to the Saint Johns River.

459BB71D-B4C8-4F17-BFBE-E68ED3D52B20.jpeg

Garden at St. Ambrose Catholic Church that is nestled in the farm fields between the ocean and the St. John’s River. Menendez landed at St. Augustine in 1565 in search of gold and silver for the queen of Spain. According to some, the real treasure was already on the ships of his fleet, stored in the hearts of 6 secular ship's chaplains that brought the Good News to the new world.

Last edited:
View attachment 46045

Garden at St. Ambrose Catholic Church that is nestled in the farm fields between the ocean and the St. John’s River. Ponce de Leon landed at St. Augustine in 1544 in search of gold and silver for the queen of Spain. According to some, the real treasure was already on the ships of his fleet, stored in the hearts of 16 Jesuit priests that brought the Good News to the new world.

I love everything about that area. We've been there many times. St Ambrose Catholic Church is a hidden treasure away from the tourists.

Rode by the Grotto at Notre Dame yesterday on our route.

Nice little ride on what I call the Airport Loop because it runs past a small airport called Lunken. Stopped to fill up, 196 miles 2.5 gals, = 78.4 mpg

After leaving the quiet of the church garden it doesn't take but a minute to see farm fields again. There's a whole lot of this in Florida.

IMG_1180.jpg

After going straight a short distance west the fields give way to the St. Johns River. SR 13 runs like a snake along the river's eastern bank for many miles as I head north back towards Jacksonville. This road in the spring is spectacular with azaleas and dogwood. This morning the shadows are cool in the growing heat of the day.

IMG_1235.jpg

About this time an idea percolated into my head to make today a mpg run. I've been riding mostly under 50 mph to this point and if I headed east back over to the beach I can run north on relatively quiet roads for about 40 more miles and cross the St. Johns on the Mayport ferry before running south back down the western side of the river on more or less empty roads that run along the industrial warehouses and commercial docks that make up East Jacksonville's shoreline. I'm thinking I can make about 175 miles mostly under 50 mph then cross the St. Johns again before the final turn north to my home.

When I moved to Jacksonville in 1981 I lived at the beach and delivered pizzas for Domino's. This place was called Cabbage Swamp and almost no one lived out here except for a few folks back in the woods we called Free Pizza Swamp instead of Cabbage Swamp. Back then Domino's had the '30 Minutes Or It's Free' policy and odds were when I delivered one out here is was free. Aside from distance from the oven there were no street lights, street signs, or house numbers. Across the street from this wetland pond now are multi million dollar homes side by side for miles. The egret and grey heron don't seem to mind.

IMG_1253.jpg

Eventually I make the ferry crossing of the St. Johns on the Jean Ribault.

IMG_1258.jpg

After riding from the ferry landing that completes A1A's crossing of the St. Johns, I rode along along the west bank and finally cross the St. John's one more time. I rode the neighborhood roads on the east bank near my house before filling up with 2.508 gallons at 191.5 miles for 76.6 mpg.

IMG_1273(1).jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-08 163627.png

Last edited:
We had a good ride. Stopped at Notre Dame, among other places. Got home about 5pm.

Made a huge mistake at the end of the route. I forgot about our local county fair. Routed us adjacent to the fair grounds. So we got stuck in stop & go traffic leading into the fair grounds, on a full sun roadway, very close to the end of our ride on a 90(F) degree day.

Yes, sometimes I'm an idiot.

And when I realized what I did it was essentially too late to get out of the mess. Once you are in the mess of fair traffic the county sheriff is the one who decides your direction.
I rode over to Rabbit Hash on Saturday....I forgot about the US127 Junk sale (yard sales all along US127-from southern states to northern states).....saw the outcome of 3 major wrecks due to this issue....people just stopping on the highway with other cars behind them.....boom...or cagers pulling out of yards directly into the path of oncoming cars....what a mess...

I was just over in Bellingham last week, right at the Ocean! Trying to get over to Tillamook for a week after school starts haha for a little vaca on the bike. :{P

Okay, so "long distance" today was from one corner of a car park to the other - but with space to work, she's cleaned! Here in the UK, where we have the fun that is lots of rain, I've also given a generous application of ACF50 - to protect the metalwork from rust. Does make the bike look nice and shiny though.

PXL_20210811_163011046.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Always nice to start a trip with a clean bike and I've a long weekend coming up where I'll be taking my tent on the bike to Dartmoor :)

Had a day similar to melensdad. We call it a "Ribber Run" . Rode 178 miles for lunch at The Scioto Ribber restaurant in Portsmouth Ohio for one of their "small rib eye steaks" cooked outdoors over wood fire with my brother, my son, my son's father in law and his nephew. Great day of riding and a great lunch and visit to the 1/2 mile long Mural Wall

8B3Q3Uvh.jpg

XRibcLuh.jpg

qphEwYSh.jpg

4iRFBBYh.jpg

T6RtBEJh.jpg

2BYfQ6Ph.jpg

Fwqmeoth.jpg

gY1Iaq6h.jpg

After loading up my NC for an upcoming 5000+ mile trip, I took an 80 mile ride today to test out the bike and visit some family. The following parts of the bike were recently replaced by me: both tires, both sets of brake pads, brake fluid, engine oil/filter, drive chain, top case, and saddlebags. I wanted to be sure everything works and no parts fall off. At the end of today’s ride, everything looks good. The trip is a go.

319 mile loop to lunch with good friend Michael.

View attachment 46193
When you were down on Newberry road (between Newberry and Gainesville), that is approx 12 miles north of my Florida home (where my wife lives)...For nice riding in that area, have to stay off the main highways and main county roads....

When you were down on Newberry road (between Newberry and Gainesville), that is approx 12 miles north of my Florida home (where my wife lives)...For nice riding in that area, have to stay off the main highways and main county roads....
We mostly did. I wanted to eat specifically at Patticakes on Newberry Rd so we bee-lined south from around Alachua on 241.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back