• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would mean one less service item that dealers would not get to charge a handsome fee to do.
The vast majority of owners do not do their own maintenance, including oil changes.
How many car and truck owners do you know that do their own oil changes?
Of all my many acquaintances, friends, and relatives, I can count that number on 2 fingers, and one of those fingers represents me.

I'm not saying that's the only reason Honda and all other companies don't choose to provide maintenance-free valve actuation, but I think along with cost of production and redesign of the cylinder head it's a major reason.

I agree. It has to be tied to the dealer thing. When they design a new bike it would be very simple to go with hydraulics “up front”. At ne time with screw/locknut it was pretty simple to set the valves. Now, with shims under bucket it‘s a major job on most bikes. On an old BMW you could have the valves adjusted before you can get the plastic off a new bike

Proceeds from dealer provided services go to the dealers, which are independent businesses. It’s my opinion that neither the Honda motherhouse, nor American Honda makes different money whether the dealer changes the oil and adjusts the valves or the owner changes the oil and adjusts the valves. I don’t see why Honda motorcycle design engineers would focus their design criteria on who might do the maintenance. The only things I can see that Honda and American Honda would really care about is sales volume, overall profit, brand reputation, and warranty costs.

I decided to rent my bike on Riders Share. My first rental was this weekend and he returned it today.View attachment 45972View attachment 45973
I know a guy that put his Kaw Concours on Rider's Share. It came back the same way. He said Rider's Share ended up buying the bike from him.

Personally I'm not letting anybody ride my bikes that I don't personally know.

Last edited:
I have been thinking the plain silver/black colors of my 2012 700X are a little bland, so I tried some very subtle reflective pin striping to see if I could spruce it up a little.

Attachments

• Pin stripes 1.jpg
    Pin stripes 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Pin stripes 2.jpg
    Pin stripes 2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Pin stripes 3.jpg
    Pin stripes 3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Pin stripes 4.jpg
    Pin stripes 4.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Pin stripes 5.jpg
    Pin stripes 5.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 17
Unfortunate, but imo, you kind of asked for that one. No way in hell I'd let a stranger take off on any of my bikes. Ever.

Anyways...fresh oil in the street NC and Nomad. Fresh final drive oil in the Nomad too. Flipped the rear tire backwards on the track NC in preparation for next weekend's track day at Barber. Can't wait to be back at Barber again!

Made a mess changing oil in the NC, forgot how far out the oil shoots when draining, missed the oil catch pan like a noob LOL.

20210803_182436.jpg20210804_215358.jpg20210803_170328.jpg

That is just incredible Janus. Amazing.

My best so far is 76.9. Sounds like I still have some figuring out to do lol
Hold steady 45 mph or less on a route with no stops or reasons to decelerate and accelerate. Make it 100 miles minimum and return to the same gas pump you start from. That’s what I did to get in the high 80’s and low 90’s. My 2012 manual got my personal best of 94 IIRC - the 2015 DCT best is 84.3.

Oh, and remove luggage and large aftermarket windshields.

Last edited:
Hold steady 45 mph or less on a route with no stops or reasons to decelerate and accelerate. Make it 100 miles minimum and return to the same gas pump you start from. That’s what I did to get in the high 80’s and low 90’s. My 2012 manual got my personal best of 94 IIRC - the 2015 DCT best is 84.3.

Oh, and remove luggage and large aftermarket windshields.
My peak speed was about 70, maybe higher. Passed someone when I got tired of fluctuating speeds by the truck I was following. I also had my top trunk on.

I targeted 45-55 for the most part. I got stuck in some stop and go traffic. Throttle control and avoiding inputs is crucial— be gentle with throttle application and give lots of space to avoid having to brake.

My wife asked me to map out a route for a ride today. Made a nice loop to Notre Dame University from home. It mapped out at about 190 miles. She said that was too short. Remapped to go a little farther south, a little farther east and a little farther north. Looking to ride about 250 mile loop today. She was happier with route. Normally she rides under 200 miles per day. Heading out of the house in about an hour.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.42.39 AM.png

Melen: have fun, be safe...I rode the bike into work to Louisville this morning...have to work till noon....then going for a ride, unless t-storms show up....stay in my part of the state and northern Ky....may ride over to Rabbit Hash, Ky, then cross the river and ride back along the Ohio River....

We had a good ride. Stopped at Notre Dame, among other places. Got home about 5pm.

Made a huge mistake at the end of the route. I forgot about our local county fair. Routed us adjacent to the fair grounds. So we got stuck in stop & go traffic leading into the fair grounds, on a full sun roadway, very close to the end of our ride on a 90(F) degree day.

Yes, sometimes I'm an idiot.

And when I realized what I did it was essentially too late to get out of the mess. Once you are in the mess of fair traffic the county sheriff is the one who decides your direction.

Bottomed out and scraped my oil pan.... in a parking lot.

A tree's roots have pushed up the pavement, I thought "this bike is marketed as an adventure bike" and took a shortcut over the bumps. One of those things that only I'll know about, but it will annoy me every time I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back