• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went riding around Mitchell Indiana. Found this balloon building..supposedly the company is going to build an infrastructure inside it and spray stucco material on the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_141135.jpg
    IMG_20210620_141135.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
Put in a new air filter and did a LED headlight swap today. Trying to improve my gas mileage. I've been getting 48-55mpg which is pretty low. I figure the air filter was overdue. I've gained some weight during covid, and I do mostly commuting with no long rides the last year or so. But I'd like to get it at least back into the mid 60's.
PXL_20210620_211629397.jpg

I had a great ride.

Crossed over 5, maybe 6 county lines. Visited areas that I had never been to before, despite the fact that they are relatively local to me. Got lost but it didn't matter to me because I wasn't actually going anywhere so being lost was part of the fun. Stopped at the Bison Sanctuary for no reason whatsoever but ended up having a 30+ minute conversation with a 72 year old guy who fell in love with my bike and was asking all sorts of questions. He had a Goldwing "back in the day" and wants to get another bike. He was amazed that there is now a DCT transmission and loved the extra conspicuity lights I have on my bike. Not sure his wife is sold on the idea but he clearly wants to ride again!

Just loving the rural life and seeing America, or at least the Indiana version of America, as I go.

F56C7F84-B304-4609-B910-3FD06BFE24A8.jpeg

Put in a new air filter and did a LED headlight swap today. Trying to improve my gas mileage. I've been getting 48-55mpg which is pretty low. I figure the air filter was overdue. I've gained some weight during covid, and I do mostly commuting with no long rides the last year or so. But I'd like to get it at least back into the mid 60's.
View attachment 45326
That air filter looks fine to me. Don't expect a new one to change your mileage. Wind drag and right wrist action are probably the two factors to address.

View attachment 45326
How many miles on that filter fleetingyouth?

That air filter looks fine to me. Don't expect a new one to change your mileage. Wind drag and right wrist action are probably the two factors to address.

I'm not expecting miracles but I hope I see a small change. Most of the time I ride with nothing on the bike just me so can't do much about wind drag. I'm a pretty conservative rider, I don't gas it and never go over 4k rpm around the city. I do ride mostly sport mode cause D upshifts too quickly in the city.
I probably gained about 20lbs putting me over the stock spring weight I think. Would adjusting the rear shock for my heavier weight make a difference in both ride or gas mileage?

It only has 20k on the bike. 13k city miles, 7k trip miles

I'm not expecting miracles but I hope I see a small change. Most of the time I ride with nothing on the bike just me so can't do much about wind drag. I'm a pretty conservative rider, I don't gas it and never go over 4k rpm around the city. I do ride mostly sport mode cause D upshifts too quickly in the city.
I probably gained about 20lbs putting me over the stock spring weight I think. Would adjusting the rear shock for my heavier weight make a difference in both ride or gas mileage?

City riding, S mode, and near 4k rpm results in low mileage. There is no magic or shock adjustment that will fix the low mileage in those riding conditions.

There is a slim possibility that the engine coolant temperature sensor is faulty or the oxygen sensor is faulty, causing the engine to run rich.

View attachment 45329

Here's what my filter looked like next to a new one on my last change.

A new filter is worth knowing that little bits of crap are staying out of my engine
That seems backwards. The semi clogged old filter would let fewer bits of crap in to your engine (but potentially less air).

My experience with the NC700X is that riding speed has much more to do with mpg than going up and down through the gears. Wind drag from speeds over 60 begin to drop mpg. Some of my highest mpgs have been in the mountains twisting my NC's tail hard all day long but the twisty roads keep top speeds under 50 mph. Absolute highest mpgs from riding steady 45 mph on a route that had no traffic control signals to slow or stop me. Suspension adjustments will have nothing to do with mpg. If your mph is under 60 and you aren't exceeding 55 mph perhaps there is another reason to look for.

My brother and I rode down to the cemetery where my dad's ashes are interred. Rained the whole way down and 1/2 the way back, but was warm and what's a little water? decided against my rain gear and just wore my mesh and got wet -- not bad at all.

My experience with the NC700X is that riding speed has much more to do with mpg than going up and down through the gears. Wind drag from speeds over 60 begin to drop mpg. Some of my highest mpgs have been in the mountains twisting my NC's tail hard all day long but the twisty roads keep top speeds under 50 mph. Absolute highest mpgs from riding steady 45 mph on a route that had no traffic control signals to slow or stop me. Suspension adjustments will have nothing to do with mpg. If your mph is under 60 and you aren't exceeding 55 mph perhaps there is another reason to look for.
I wouldn't even know how to diagnose something causing an issue like the sensors Greg mentioned. Though I am planning on checking the valves this week.
I have noticed the bike has been feeling a little floaty at low speeds and when stopping kind of like when it's overloaded which is what made me think my weight gain might warrant adjusting the rear suspension.

Short of just riding more overall city miles I don't think my riding style is the issue. I realize it makes the most difference in mpg and there is no way to compare this variable on the forum, but when driving here around the city I'm very conservative. It is a major city and i drive slow and careful most the time because accidents happen constantly. Everyone is in a hurry and cutting each other off so I take my time and keep my eyes open. I'm not gasing it around and I don't go fast on back roads.
I'll use D mode and pay attention to my riding more this next tank full and see what difference I get.

That seems backwards. The semi clogged old filter would let fewer bits of crap in to your engine (but potentially less air).
I did think about editing my comment to include better breathing but instead I fell asleep

Old filters can warp and crack, letting particles in, and on some systems inadequate and uncompensated-for airflow can cause incomplete combustion which leads to carbon buildup in sensitive areas inside the engine. I would be somewhat surprised if the NC's PGM-FI system wouldn't compensate, but I'd rather not risk it

Last edited:
My buddy told me he found my rear axle distance collars on his crappy tire machine. So I'm out ~35 bucks for parts I didn't need because he didn't bother to look when I asked. :mad:

But I have my bike back, and it's in my garage in my new home. I've never had all my bikes in one place before. Feels great. I rode down last night and enjoyed seeing more and more stars the closer I got to home.

If it wasn't going to be 90° today, I could actually go enjoy myself outside. This climate change thing is awful

Dang, I like living out in the country....local guy charged me $20 to do mine Lol

I got another quote of $70, but the guy couldn't do it until mid July.
His hand was healing from almost slicing off a couple of fingers on his band saw.

I live in the outskirts of a fairly large city.
In 1 minute from my house I'm out of the city limits, and it's clear riding with little traffic.
Kind of the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back