• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 NC750X Suspension Travel Question

Thank you all very much. I've learned a lot.

• 2021 NC750 X may or may not have DBV forks that manage the compression (smooth the ride) by responding to the pressures or stress that is presented. (Honda did acknowledge the receipt of my email and promised a response)
  • DBV suspensions can respond better through more accurate metering of oil flow based on hydraulic pressures presented
    • HondaProKevin responded to my question and said DBVS are being included in the USA version (messenger only, cannot confirm as fact)
  • On rough roads, longer travel suspension may perform better than shorter travel suspension for shock absorption (with caveats)
  • Longer travel suspension may present issues for [tame tarmac riders like me who never venture beyond a gravel parking lot] such as wallowing in curves or turns
  • Either the 4.9 or 5.9 suspension will likely be adequate for riders like me
    • Consensus is that longer is probably better (perhaps more versatile and comfortable), but each with their own set of issues
      • Even though it may feel like you are bottoming on a modern Honda suspension, odds are you are not
  • Suspension upgrades will cost about ~$1k, front and rear (emulators and shock) DIY
Thanks to everyone. I'm grateful for all the contributions added to this discussion. I hope to be able to return the favor sometime. I am leaning more toward the 2021 but not fully committed. I can mod the suspension if needed. Many of the other features are very appealing to me and I can't add those. But, if a sweet deal on 18 DCT came up (partial to red) I might have to jump on it. There is one in Tampa right now that caught my eye.

I have another question. Sorry for belaboring. The suspension travel being reduced for MY 2021 is a matter of fact. So, if they do include the DBV suspension, could the flow of hydraulic fluid through the shims or reeds lead to bottoming out whereas in the fixed orifice configuration it could not or would be less likely? Another question; would a DBV lead to a reduced likelihood of a fork seal rupture?

This is not factoring into my decision-making process; just curious.

My take away in this thread is that even though the US finally started to receive the 750 we still didn't get the upgraded suspension parts that other markets have. That is disappointing. Honda US has consistently held back on useful and meaningful updates that other markets have gotten. It really stinks.

That was the tutorial I recalled and mentioned earlier in this thread. Dave, did you add preload adjusters on the bike and why or why not? Next is an engineering question. Would the fork oil retain viscosity longer with the added ports and enlarging the original ports? Pure curiosity but my thought is the increase in flow decreases resistance and pressure lowering overall temperature and extending the life/performance of the hydraulic fluid. Sorry to give you a glimpse of the rabbit holes my thoughts cascade through every day.

That was the tutorial I recalled and mentioned earlier in this thread. Dave, did you add preload adjusters on the bike and why or why not? Next is an engineering question. Would the fork oil retain viscosity longer with the added ports and enlarging the original ports? Pure curiosity but my thought is the increase in flow decreases resistance and pressure lowering overall temperature and extending the life/performance of the hydraulic fluid. Sorry to give you a glimpse of the rabbit holes my thoughts cascade through every day.
I did later install fork caps from the Honda CB1100 that incorporated preload adjusters. It stands to reason that fork fluid would retain viscosity longer if it operated at lower stress and temperatures over time but I have never investigated that one way or the other. I change the fluid fairly often and I doubt it degrades much in 15,000 miles even in stock forks.

Thought it might be good to share this here. Great, detailed vid on installing fork cartridge emulators.

No way I'm cutting crap and drilling holes. Any aftermarket setups that don't require that and be returned to stock if need be?
I'm 6' 170lb but hitting big bumps on hwy etc is pretty harsh. faster suspension would be nice.

No way I'm cutting crap and drilling holes. Any aftermarket setups that don't require that and be returned to stock if need be?
I'm 6' 170lb but hitting big bumps on hwy etc is pretty harsh. faster suspension would be nice.
Cogent Dynamics DDC are drop-in installation.

motocd.com

Back