• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 DCT recalled

Denden996

Reaction score
Visit site
Recall for stalling issue on the 2021 NC750X DCT.

Attachments

• honda-recalling-2021-nc750x-motorcycles-for-potential-stalling-issues-175146.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 123
Maybe it’s just my iPad, but for me, the file attachment is not readable.

News article: https://www.rideapart.com/news/550782/honda-nc750x-dct-2021-recall/

This appears to be a worldwide problem, but I wonder if any owners on this forum ever reported their stalling problem to the USA’s NHTSA. It would be interesting if owner reports prompted an investigation that ultimately prompted Honda to take action.

This is an important recall for the NC series. The only other recalls I recall are the 2012 potential drive chain breakage and the 2014 starter relay. I also remember the combination meter service campaign on the 2014s. Maybe there were others.

My 2021 DCT has done this a few times but has been better over last few months. I believe I was in normal mode, I mainly run performance mode now. I did not report it but it was surprising when happened. I will be taking it in for the recall work. I’m in Kentucky.

Mine had never done it, maybe because I am smooth on and off throttle? but I am hesitant to have anyone mess with it. Will have to wait and see if I get a letter from Honda.

The reported history mentions some were 'bought back' and one was traded to a non-Honda dealer. I believe that was someone on this forum.
This was probably the guy who was told by the mechanic just three months ago to use premium fuel and run her close to redline as a remedy. At that time mother Honda was probably well aware of the programming problem but probably would not share that information. If this was an authorized Honda dealer with such an unqualified mechanic, I cant blame the bike owner for trading in the NC750X at a different brand dealer.

So, it has been 3 weeks now since the mechanic told me to run Premium fuel and ride the bike in sport mode and open the throttle and let the engine shift close to red line to see if that will help my NC from stalling. It seem to help for a week or so then stalled 2 times within an hour.

For 2021 DCT owners that may wonder if their unit is affected by the recall, following is an excerpt from the NHTSA web site regarding recall effectivity. Too bad they didn’t list the serial number range. Apparently the manual transmission model does not have the defect, or we have yet to hear about it.

Vehicle Information :
Vehicle 1 : 2021-2021 Honda NC750XD
Vehicle Type : Body Style :
Power Train : NR
Descriptive Information : The recall population was determined based on manufacturing records. The production range reflects all possible vehicles that could potentially experience the
problem. All vehicles built from production start-up through August 30, 2021 equipped with a 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) type automatic transmission are affected. As a quality improvement effort, the Fuel Injection Electronic Control Unit (FI-ECU) and Dual Clutch Transmission Electronic Control Unit (DCT-ECU) have been reprogrammed to prevent the stalling condition in mass production vehicles built starting on November 12, 2021. The number of affected units is 357.
Production Dates : MAR 18, 2021 - AUG 30, 2021
VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR End : NR

Chronology:
February 2021
The first occurrence of the issue took place on a Honda fleet vehicle in Japan. The vehicle stalled while starting from a stop, however the symptom could not be reproduced.
April 21, 2021
The first market occurrence of the issue took place on a vehicle in Japan. The customer’s vehicle was later repurchased on July 4, 2021 for engine stalling issues.
June/July 2021
After additional occurrences of the issue in the European market, Honda began to investigate and analyze the issue.
July 28, 2021
The investigation and analysis verified the vehicle stall occurs when the vehicle is starting from a stop or right before the vehicle stops. However, the engine can be restarted immediately.
August 1, 2021
Honda received the first report of an occurrence in the US market. Two dealers were unable to duplicate an intermittent stalling issue with the vehicle. The customer then traded in the vehicle to a non-Honda motorcycle dealer. No crash or injuries were reported for the occurrence.
August 2021
After analyzing the information available, Honda Europe conducted a risk assessment of the stalling issue and the initial findings were that there was not a safety issue based on the occurrences.
September/October 2021
After additional occurrences in Europe and Asia, some of which involved injury claims, the risk assessment was reconsidered.
November 8, 2021
Honda determined that a defect related to motor vehicle safety existed and decided to conduct a safety recall.

As of November 8, 2021, Honda has received no warranty claims, field reports, or reports of
crashes or injuries related to this issue.

573.6(c)(8)(i)
Program for remedying the defect:
Registered owners of all affected vehicles will be contacted by mail and asked to take their
vehicle to a Honda Powersports dealer. The dealer will reprogram the FI-ECU and DCT-ECU,
for free.
Owners who have paid to have these repairs completed at their own expense will be eligible for reimbursement, in accord with the recall reimbursement plan on file with NHTSA.

As of November 8, 2021, Honda has received no warranty claims, field reports, or reports of
That is interesting. It suggests that the issue was never formally escalated to Honda, by dealers or owners, and it sort of makes Honda look like the hero by proactively addressing the problem. There would have been no warranty claims if a dealer could not duplicate the problem. Would that also mean no 2021 NC750XD owner in the USA that experienced the stalling issue made a report to the NHTSA?

<snip>
September/October 2021
After additional occurrences in Europe and Asia, some of which involved injury claims, the risk assessment was reconsidered.
November 8, 2021
Honda determined that a defect related to motor vehicle safety existed and decided to conduct a safety recall.

This timeline seems to contradict itself. The one thing that will cause action is a reported injury or death.

Reactions: MZ5
Rode 70 miles on mine today. Tried to make it stall by snapping the throttle open and closed on several occasions. Never faltered.

Tried to find a vin plate to see when it was manufactured after reading this thread and couldn't find one, but serial number is under 100., picked up July 22, 2021, so it would seem it would fall within production dates of March and August.

That is interesting. It suggests that the issue was never formally escalated to Honda, by dealers or owners, and it sort of makes Honda look like the hero by proactively addressing the problem. There would have been no warranty claims if a dealer could not duplicate the problem. Would that also mean no 2021 NC750XD owner in the USA that experienced the stalling issue made a report to the NHTSA?
Could have been similar to the 2018 Goldwing DCT where customers were bringing bikes in for stalling and Honda developed a software update to address it before it became a NHTSA recall. Difference being Honda never publicly identified a certain number of bikes affected.

Here is some info for the European clients. I'm pretty curious if my dealer will contact me regarding this recall because when I told them about this issue they said that this is normal... :confused:

Description
Honda motorcycles manufactured in Kumamoto factory. Model code X-ADV750M (RH10), NSS750M (RH11), NC750XDM (RH9); Mode year: 2021
Packaging descriptionVIN's: X-ADV750M (from JH2RH10A4MK000017 to JH2RH10A0MK013556), NSS750M (from JH2RH11A6MK000020 to JH2RH11A3MK008740) and NC750XDM (from JH2RH09B5MK000016 to JH2RH09B0MK006872).

Well it does say on Aug 21 Honda Europe determined it was not a safety issue

and on November 8 Honda (Japan, parent co?) determined it to be a safety defect and decided to do the recall

So maybe there is no "deception" if Honda Europe reported to Honda Japan that it was not a safety issue,

but after additional cases in Europe and Asia with injuries Honda Japan decided later that it was

Right now, it's like playing: What, Where, When? Certainly more documents will be released with time.
The NHTSA document only mentions the 2021 NC750XD cases (this is obvious). The European Commission document also adds the X-ADV750M cases together with the NC750.
On the X-ADV750 forum, problems with stalling begin to appear in 2018, when the models with Throttle by Wire System were introduced.
Honda America replied to owners' inquiries that it did not know anything about the problem. Which doesn't mean Honda Japan didn't know about it. Why talk about a problem if you don't have a specific solution?

Back