• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 Air Filter: Revzilla/Cycle Gear Wrong Part Number

TXBootScoot

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all— I just tore by bike apart to do an air filter… but I’m stuck until tomorrow… I think. Here’s the story:

First, I hit 12,000 miles and it’s time for a new air filter. Second, I watched a couple videos on how to do it. Third, I jumped on Revzilla and put in my bike details and searched air filter. Here is what I was served up:

Attachments

• 36266E51-B791-4E06-9A7C-2050F150EE93.jpeg
    36266E51-B791-4E06-9A7C-2050F150EE93.jpeg
    879.1 KB · Views: 4
It came in and I took the front end of the bike apart (not really, but man, that’s a lot of stuff to come off for something that has to be replaced from time to time) I pulled the stock filter out. Unfortunately, it’s not the same filter:

Attachments

• 8E0464AC-5CA9-4E7D-94EF-E0922A1EC039.jpeg
    8E0464AC-5CA9-4E7D-94EF-E0922A1EC039.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
I jumped in the car (on an absolutely beautiful day—wish the bike was out together for a nice ride) and headed to Cycle Gear as it was the only open shop that might have the part on a Sunday.

After explaining it to the kid working, he looked it up and said, “sorry sir, the one you have in your hand is the right part.” (I had both the Honda OEM part and the incorrect Revzilla part next to each other on the desk.

“Right, according to your system it should fit, but I’m showing you that that’s not right.” He asked if I or the previous owner completely swapped the air box. “Well, unless Honda did it (weirder things have happened… maybe…) I don’t think so since I bought it brand new. So, how do I find the replacement for this one?” (Pointing to the Honda version.)

“Yep, I have no idea. You’ll have to ask Honda tomorrow when they open.”

So… now I’m sitting in my garage wondering if I should just start on my next project and wait until tomorrow to go to Honda or if I try to figure out where I can get the BMC version like the dude did had in this video/thread:

I never rely on a store’s web site’s claim that an item “fits your xxxx”. At least go to the manufacturer website and confirm the application before buying.

I don’t ride in dusty areas but I easily get 24,000 miles out of a stock filter. One of our furum members first changed his NC original filter at 65,000 miles and never had any trouble or performance issues. I think Honda is way too conservative suggesting 12,000 mile intervals, but maybe that is worst case dust storm scenarios.

I will turn over 26,000 on mine this week and have no plans to replace spark plugs or air filter until I hit the 50K mark, unless the bike starts running funky, or my gas mileage drops a bunch

The OPs looks dirty enough to replace though as long as he has it torn apart.

I never rely on a store’s web site’s claim that an item “fits your xxxx”. At least go to the manufacturer website and confirm the application before buying.

I don’t ride in dusty areas but I easily get 24,000 miles out of a stock filter. One of our furum members first changed his NC original filter at 65,000 miles and never had any trouble or performance issues. I think Honda is way too conservative suggesting 12,000 mile intervals, but maybe that is worst case dust storm scenarios.
Yep, that was me. Never had any issues. To the OP, the picture of the one you bought is identical to the one I bought and inserted, no issue, but I have a 2013X. Look in your owners manual and see if it has a part# for the air filter.

From my limited research, it looks like the air filter was changed between 2020 and 2021 model years--which makes sense since that is the year they had the big overhaul and added more frunk space.

The other update on this is that the Honda dealership is also closed Mondays--so my bike is still in a million pieces in my garage. So far I've kept the kids away from the screws and small bits, but until it's back together, I'm going to be stressed about this... mostly that pieces will get lost and/or that I'll forget where all the pieces go when I need to put them back in.

Update: I went to the Honda dealer today and this is a filter they don’t keep in stock. Great. It’s ordered and due to arrive Friday.

In the meantime, I had to put it all back together this afternoon so I need to get the state inspection (due by Friday) and a new rear tire and tomorrow is the only day I have free during daytime hours.

Unfortunately, now I can’t get the frunk to latch. So, I’m back in the forum searching for some ideas now.

Update: I got the frunk to latch beautifully. Better than when it was new.

Then, yesterday I took it all apart again to replace the air filter. Timed myself. 42 minutes from first Allen head touching the bike to last screw tightened. No bad at all. Only two panels off on the ‘21 to change the filter. At least when you know what you’re doing… which took a couple tries to get it right.

Attachments

• CFB34A67-8341-48F1-BAE8-107857BF1BE3.jpeg
    CFB34A67-8341-48F1-BAE8-107857BF1BE3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
Back