• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! Also, I never noticed until now that the clock and ODO are swapped around. Is this because it is a DCT bike? Different model-year? US vs international market bike? I need to investigate now...
If I remember correctly, the display was rearranged a bit when the 2014 models came out, even in the USA. However, the display in the photo has the HISS indicator, which a US NC has never had.

They also added a gear indicator for the manual version, right? So glad the US bikes don't have HISS. I think I paid $120 to get a new key reprogrammed for my Civic from the dealer when I lost mine :(

I have a stock shock take-off that has a few hundred, maybe a 1000 miles on it. It's boxed up and only gathering dust. PM me and maybe we can get you riding in short order.
Thank you very much for the offer but I'm sure it would be collecting dust here too. It might be useful when I send my new suspension in to be serviced, but mostly as a placeholder.

20201029_195906.jpg
I lost an airbox screw somewhere in my bike and I spent over an hour searching. I even borrowed a magnet on a stick and couldn't find it. But I did find this:

20201029_214140.jpg

I guess I parked my bike for too long and my '17 became the perfect new home for that spidey. Thanks for keeping the bugs off!

20201030_171643-COLLAGE.jpg

Goodbye to the stock shock which only lasted a paltry 47,000 miles! Good riddance. The new Cogent Dynamics shock is superb and they sent it to me completely dialed in to my weight and preferences. I need to play with it to make sure that the dampening and rebound are where I want it but so far it's been excellent.

I would strongly recommend their product and service to anyone even pipe-dreaming about suspension upgrades. The NC is a whole new bike. I wish I had of upgraded sooner.

20201102_153737.jpg
The gold shock looks great too. Too bad it won't stay clean up here

Goodbye to the stock shock which only lasted a paltry 47,000 miles! Good riddance. The new Cogent Dynamics shock is superb and they sent it to me completely dialed in to my weight and preferences. I need to play with it to make sure that the dampening and rebound are where I want it but so far it's been excellent.

I would strongly recommend their product and service to anyone even pipe-dreaming about suspension upgrades. The NC is a whole new bike. I wish I had of upgraded sooner.

That new shock looks nice! Can you do a favor and post the entire number on that yellow spring? I can see part of it in your photo. I bought my Ohlins used and I’m happy with it, but trying to determine what spring rate is installed.

View attachment 43692

View attachment 43693
At some point I figure I will wear out the shock. After getting my money's worth out of it I would deserve an upgrade :). What did the shock set up cost?

At some point I figure I will wear out the shock. After getting my money's worth out of it I would deserve an upgrade :). What did the shock set up cost?
I believe the rear was a bit shy of $680 shipped, I did the wrenching myself so I imagine I saved several hundred dollars there. For reference I found an OEM replacement to be around $540 if memory serves correct.

It took about a month from ordering to arrive, and I had to talk to someone on the phone. If you're a millennial you might agree that this is a heavy burden. They were really kind and the process was easy, just had to answer some questions about how and where I ride.

With the fork oil, fork tool, and drop in dampener kit, the total was $975.75

That new shock looks nice! Can you do a favor and post the entire number on that yellow spring? I can see part of it in your photo. I bought my Ohlins used and I’m happy with it, but trying to determine what spring rate is installed.
Sure!
01095-59/150 L4218

I told CD that I weighed 165 and ride 10% of the time with fully loaded luggage (they asked how heavy it was, and where it was located, I think I said 40lbs in panniers and 20 in top case) and 5% of the time with a passenger of undisclosed weight— consider the number Schrödinger's wife. If you open the box you'll die. I think that's the paradox, anyway.

I also ride moderately but sanely, don't do much dirt and nothing serious when I do, and I desired a shock suitable for the long tours I like to do in the summer both solo and two-up. Your physical and mental self may differ and thus call for a different spring rate

Last edited:
I went across town yesterday to Holyland to get Gyros for dinner at curbside takeout (We've been trying to support our favorite restaurants by getting takeout once a week.) I threw the tank bag on, figuring the food boxes would fit in them well. They did and helped keep the food warm. First time on the freeway. Windshield worked well. Got just over 200 miles on it. It is remarkable that the roads are clear and I can ride in December in Minneapolis!|
My first fill up I got 52mpg, all city driving. Hwy, the get 70 to 80mpg.
In India, they are using these Interceptors as adventure bikes in the Himalayas, traveling in the mountains to Nepal. They have pretty good clearance. Weigh 445lbs. I'm going to put more aggressive tires on when the Pirellies wear out.

IMG_20201206_161901031 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I swapped out my DRZ which I had been working on for my NC, went on a short ride because it was 38° but wanted to get the engine properly warm before parking it. It's always a bit of a trip (heh) to change bike styles. Coming off my cruiser, the NC feels like a tall sportbike. Off the DRZ the Honda feels like a refined UFO that you sit inside. Also like a bit of a pig.

170 pounds make a big difference when moving bikes around without the engine

Further bodywork stripped off my X-Adv. Not a pretty sight without its clothes. To do........ replace air filter, chain and sprockets, check valve clearances and general tidy up of otherwise unseen areas.

IMG_0469.JPGIMG_0470.JPG

Came up with a good excuse to get out on the bike and took the extra long way through a few other towns before circling back to my 'destination'. Took some Christmas cards to the post office.

Feels good to have some saddle time this late in the year

It’s a new year and a new What did you do to/with your NC700 today?thread!
100 Mile loop out of Homewood Alabama. US 280, Sicard Hollow, Rex Lake, US78, Winnataska Road, Cane Creek Road, US231, AL25, Rex Lake, Sicard Hollow, Homewood... ( short legs omitted )...

not many hills in Florida and another fair 70 Deg day so i returned to a childhood challenge .
for 50 years I have been climbing this bank with different bikes and taking a few spills on the way , CB350 with street tires and 32 Lb's of pressure being the worst .
first climbed it in about 1969 on a Bridgestone 100 on a dare after watching a kid get hurt on a Honda 50 that ran out of power before the top .
street tires suck so i always used speed to compensate and there was no guard rail as i made good air time over the top. Took my daughter up when she was 12 on the back of a XL600R with knobby tires so it ripped the earth open and threw a lot of dirt , such power and traction is so much fun.
ether way I am now almost 70 and the X has terrible tires for this sort of thing.

So that is what I did on my NC700X today . after careful thoughts of injury and covid infected hospitals I took the risk , But for a brief flash and moment in time I was young again and it was 1969

Attachments

• hill.jpg
    hill.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • hill,.jpg
    hill,.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
not many hills in Florida and another fair 70 Deg day so i returned to a childhood challenge .
for 50 years I have been climbing this bank with different bikes and taking a few spills on the way , CB350 with street tires and 32 Lb's of pressure being the worst .
first climbed it in about 1969 on a Bridgestone 100 on a dare after watching a kid get hurt on a Honda 50 that ran out of power before the top .
street tires suck so i always used speed to compensate and there was no guard rail as i made good air time over the top. Took my daughter up when she was 12 on the back of a XL600R with knobby tires so it ripped the earth open and threw a lot of dirt , such power and traction is so much fun.
ether way I am now almost 70 and the X has terrible tires for this sort of thing.

So that is what I did on my NC700X today . after careful thoughts of injury and covid infected hospitals I took the risk , But for a brief flash and moment in time I was young again and it was 1969
Using the NC with street tires, obviously the wrong tool for the job, would make that a challenge. You were able to post about your adventure on the forum, so I assume your were mostly successful. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back