• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by saying I have a low tolerance for summer heat. A temperature of 65*F and dense cloudiness is my favorite riding weather. Sunshine and 80*F heat is barely tolerable. So today I had a reason to ride the NC 100 miles, and the temps were in the 90s with heat index in the low 100s (*F). Time to break out the water cooling vest! These things really do help, and I wish I had started using them long ago. Soak it in water for a couple minutes, and don the vest under a mesh jacket.

As a bonus, after the ride I found out how well the vest works sitting in an air conditioned house under a ceiling fan! Feels great!

C0275135-A79E-4107-9B41-502A1749F8E9.jpeg

Let me start by saying I have a low tolerance for summer heat. A temperature of 65*F and dense cloudiness is my favorite riding weather. Sunshine and 80*F is barely tolerable. So today I had a reason to ride the NC 100 miles, and the temps were in the 90s with heat index in the low 100s (*F). Time to break out the water cooling vest! These things really do help, and I wish I had started using them long ago. Soak it in water for a couple minutes, and don the vest under a mesh jacket.

As a bonus, after the ride I found out how well the vest works sitting in an air conditioned house under a ceiling fan! Feels great!

View attachment 42480
Brand?

Link?

I've read a lot of reviews and most people complain about them, but most tried the for walking and other low wind activities.

Brand?

Link?

I've read a lot of reviews and most people complain about them, but most tried the for walking and other low wind activities.
Looking at the label, the brand is Hyperkewl. Purchase history shows I bought it on Amazon. It would not be very effective sitting still in traffic, but rolling at highway speed it feels noticibly cool on the torso. Funny, I’ve been home 1.5 hours and I’m still wearing it under the ceiling fan because it feels great.

Here is an old thread with comments about cooling vests: https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/cooling-vest.9341/#post-137415

Last edited:
89 and high humidity. "Real Feel" temp was 100 while I was out riding. Not sure what a "real feel" temp is, I think the weathermen made it up to measure the effects of humidity sort of like "wind chill" temps. Despite the temps the ride was nice, largely because the sun was low enough in the sky that it wasn't baking me at stop signs or when I was going through town at low speed.

I did have one skittish moment with the Michelin Road 5 tires, rural intersection, gravel on the asphalt. Came into the turn a little fast, but not too fast, hit a bigger piece of gravel just right, front end twisted and the wheel took an inch of air to the side. Totally manageable and no skid, as soon as the tire hit the asphalt again it was back on track. A tire like the Shinko 705 probably would have not bounced like that on the gravel but the Road 5 did well enough.

Greg, could you put in a PO for cooler weather in Illinois and Indiana....I rode almost every day last summer and dont recall it being this nasty....but then, since last summer I have received a pace maker and am now on blood pressure medication....hehehe
I rode this past Saturday about 182 miles; over and around Lake Patoka....didnt realize it was that hot until I got home with a headache and beat...104'F heat index...ouch...

Got wet today for about 15 minutes.

Headed out about 8:30, an hour later I was at the doctor for a visit. Took the scenic route. Quick visit so back out on the road. Stopped at Starbucks for coffee, such a cliche to ride a motorcycle to Starbucks. It was my first visit to a Starbucks since February and I needed a caffeine boost. Headed west in Illinois and wound through a county forest preserve and down some local roads.

Sky turned dark. Of course no rain was scheduled to hit until mid-afternoon. A little drizzle. Then about 10-15 minutes of moderate to modestly heavy rain. Then sunshine. WTF? At the point of the heavier rains I was on roads where I could keep my speed up so pretty much my boots/cuffs were a bit moist, my arms got some water and so did my helmet but for the most part I was pretty dry. I had rain gear with me but could see sunshine ahead and really didn't want to bother with stopping since I knew I wouldn't be in it too long. By the time I got home (just before noon) the jacket sleeves were mostly dried out and my pant cuffs and boots were dried.

Turned out to be a nice morning ride. Temps in the 70's and the humidity was modestly low so the ride was pleasant. Snuck in a 15 minute doctor's visit during the process so it was productive time too.

Last edited:
Greg, could you put in a PO for cooler weather in Illinois and Indiana....I rode almost every day last summer and dont recall it being this nasty....but then, since last summer I have received a pace maker and am now on blood pressure medication....hehehe
I rode this past Saturday about 182 miles; over and around Lake Patoka....didnt realize it was that hot until I got home with a headache and beat...104'F heat index...ouch...
Riding season now includes autumn, winter, and spring. Summer has become too brutal for motorcycle riding. Summer is now the off-season, the time when you should store your motorcycle until good riding weather returns.

Riding season now includes autumn, winter, and spring. Summer has become too brutal for motorcycle riding. Summer is now the off-season, the time when you should store your motorcycle until good riding weather returns.
You stole my post.

I was just reading melensdad's post with more than a little bit of envy

Got wet today for about 15 minutes.

Headed out about 8:30, an hour later I was at the doctor for a visit. Took the scenic route. Quick visit so back out on the road. Stopped at Starbucks for coffee, such a cliche to ride a motorcycle to Starbucks. It was my first visit to a Starbucks since February and I needed a caffeine boost. Headed west in Illinois and wound through a county forest preserve and down some local roads.

Sky turned dark. Of course no rain was scheduled to hit until mid-afternoon. A little drizzle. Then about 10-15 minutes of moderate to modestly heavy rain. Then sunshine. WTF? At the point of the heavier rains I was on roads where I could keep my speed up so pretty much my boots/cuffs were a bit moist, my arms got some water and so did my helmet but for the most part I was pretty dry. I had rain gear with me but could see sunshine ahead and really didn't want to bother with stopping since I knew I wouldn't be in it too long. By the time I got home (just before noon) the jacket sleeves were mostly dried out and my pant cuffs and boots were dried.

Turned out to be a nice morning ride. Temps in the 70's and the humidity was modestly low so the ride was pleasant. Snuck in a 15 minute doctor's visit during the process so it was productive time too.
In a similar manner, the wife and I went out for a scooter (Ruckus) ride today to the local county park around 10:30am. Nice, friendly skies prevailed at the start of the trip. At the point farthest from home, the sky became threatening! We thought we could make it back home, but No!, we retreated and spent 45 minutes under a gas station pump awning. Torrential rain fell. I thought of the Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics, “thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening me!“

Our home rain gauge showed 1.5” rain fell in under 45 minutes.

Well today I waved goodbye to the NC750 as I took my wife's Kawasaki Vulcan 900 in for annual inspection. The Kawa is a great cruiser, but it did well in reminding me how much I love the nimbleness of the NC. The Vulcan is big, heavy, low slung and like riding a mule compared to my regular steed. Variety is the spice of life for sure, and it also serves as a reminder to be thankful for what we already have.

Just finished installing the Spiegler braided stainless steel brake line kit, and filling/bleeding brake fluid last night. Took the bike out this morning for a test ride.

Brakes feel excellent. There was definitely some air or contamination in the front fluid before I changed it out, because now the brake feel is much more linear than before. I am not sure how much this can be attributed to stainless vs. rubber hoses, but regardless I am happy with the outcome.

I know there is significant debate about whether or not braided stainless lines are worth it, and also some debate about how often rubber hoses should be changed out (anywhere from every 4 years to life of the vehicle). I wanted to replace the hoses, which were 7 years old and looking a little stretched in places, and for the extra money I'm happy with the stainless lines. They look great, are extremely durable, and should not require replacement for a long time.

IMG_3438.jpg IMG_3421.jpg

Grabbed the bull by the horns and removed all the “Tupperware “.
Installed the following:
Eastern Beaver 8 Fuse
Usb charger
driving lights
Denali sound bomb
30mm riser
Grip puppies
Admore side case lighting
Safe Turn Brake module
Put all the Tupperware back on with no extra parts left over.
Also installed the centre stand in about 15 minutes thanks to YouTube video
Hope to get a ride this weekend prior to the heat.
Cheers

Had some nimwits in an old full-sized van that was painted in camo with a bunch of questionable stickers on it tailgating me on a windy no-passing two-lane where I could not pull away due to a long line of cars in front that I was maintaining a decent gap from. When we finally got to four-lane I quickly got up to 75-80 and passed a bunch but the van continued to tailgate me until I inserted into the right lane, whereupon rude gestures and more questionable stickers finally roared by to the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back