• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you had so many side-affects from the shingles vaccine. I got mine a couple of years ago and had no side-affects at all.
My brother had the same experience as you. He had to 2 dose course of Shingrex. Apparently 15% of the people who get Shingrex have some side effects. I got the golden ticket and got all of major side effects. I believe the Zostavax has fewer incidents of side effects, but it is also less effective. Pick your poison? I dunno. At this point I am still recommending a swift throat punch to the adam's apple of any doctor who recommends the shingles vaccine.

The new preferred vaccine Shingrix came out in 2017 and had been in short supply. Perhaps you had the older Zostavax vaccine? I got Shingrix and definitely had the side affects on both doses. Not fun, but I don't regret doing it.
I got the first dose of Shingrix. If I go back for the 2nd dose, I can expect 3 more days of misery. Got the shot Monday morning. Side effects started a few hour later. Wednesday evening I started to feel better. I was in bed Monday, Tuesday & most of Wednesday in severe pain, nausea, fever, chills, sweats, muscle pain, joint pain, etc. Even the doctor and nurse were surprised by how bad my reaction to the vaccine had been. Heck my wife and daughter felt sorry for me so you know I wasn't just faking it.

I had shingles back in my 40's and it was no picnic. I felt like I was run through with a dull spear and couldn't work for 2 weeks. That was even after getting antivirals pretty much immediately. I'm hoping I don't need a shingles vaccine but if a doctor that I trust recommends it, I would get it. The side effects, although sometimes terrible, mean that it's working.

Jeebus, how is everybody getting SHINGLES riding their NCs?!?! Or are they getting them putting farkles on 'em? ; } (EDIT: This was a JOKE.)

Anyway, 343 miles today. Maybe some photos later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeebus, how is everybody getting SHINGLES riding their NCs?!?! Or are they getting them putting farkles on 'em? . . .
I just had the vaccine and was down for 3 full days.

Vaccination was Monday late-morning and my LEFT arm is still in so much pain (and associated loss of left arm strength) that I would not consider riding today but that seems to be the last of the lingering reactions to the vaccine. BTW, the shot was administered to my RIGHT shoulder.

Monday evening I could barely move either arm, my fingers, hands and shoulders hurt. By Tuesday morning my entire body was in pain and I was in bed for the whole day. Alternating fever with sweats, and then shivers/chills. F this vaccine! It may be working but damn. I mean seriously damn!!!

You guys might look on the bright side: the response indicates the vaccine is stimulating your immune system. Better a couple of days of discomfort than a case of shingles.

You guys might look on the bright side: the response indicates the vaccine is stimulating your immune system. Better a couple of days of discomfort than a case of shingles.
I havent had shingles yet...but will someday probably...had chickenpox as a kid in the 60s....I only take the flu shot, but seems to get a mild case of flu each year anyways...the old shingles vaccine seemed to be only 50% effective...the new one is showing about 98% effective, but those side effects...dang...not doing it...may going riding some tonight to check out the LED headlight I put in to see if 0dark30 visibility is better...

My fiancée let me take her for her first ride as a passenger yesterday! Wow riding 2-up on the NC is a *much* different experience than a Ninja250 heh. We went in the evening when it was cool; just around the Wisconsin State capitol and along the lake for about 30 mins.

She thought it would be scary and said she'd try one ride, ever. But she enjoyed it and I've been granted a second opportunity to take her out in the future :). Although mostly I just enjoy riding solo.,

Nothing exciting lately.

SATURDAY => Had a ride through hell on Saturday and honestly if it would have been my FIRST ride on a motorcycle I'd never get on another motorcycle again. It started out innocent enough, needed to drop off a box at the UPS store to return something. Rode into town (I live 6 miles outside of the nearest small town) and the UPS store was closed. Next UPS store is about 20 miles north, turned the bike to the north and headed up to that store.

Temps running about 90. Full sun. Very high humidity. NWS issued a heat advisory. No problem I was riding along at 65mph on 4 line state highway that I'd take to within 1 mile of the other UPS store. So while hot, I was very comfortable due to the airflow.

UNTIL I GOT TO A CONSTRUCTION INDUCED TRAFFIC STOPPAGE

20 mile ride that should have taken 25 minutes took nearly 50 minutes. I was stopped in the sun for long enough to get over heated. I was thankful to be inside the air conditioned UPS store for 5 minutes. The lovely wife contacted me and asked me to stop at the grocery, no problem, I figured I'd go home a different way, rode to a grocery store that SHOULD HAVE BEEN on my ALTERNATE ROUTE. Got there, picked up what she needed. Again, air conditioning felt good. By this point I was feeling better, core temperature was closer to normal. Lingered a bit in the store just to soak in the A/C.

Departed toward the alternate route home and the ROAD CLOSED. Detour took me back to the construction zone. N.F.W. Not doing that again. But I was on the north side of a river and there were few places to cross to get to the south. Neighborhood roads, slow travel speeds, but I knew of 1 alternate that would get me past the construction zone without actually going through it and getting stuck again. Got home, soaked through from sweat. Seriously over heated. Miserable. Worst ride I can ever recall having.

SUNDAY => Ran errands on the bike, nice ride, hot/humid but overall the ride was good. Nothing special, just got stuff done. Got home before the storms.

MONDAY => Pretty much same as Sunday.

TODAY => No ride yet. Did notice that Revzilla was running a sale and looked for some casual riding pants. Klim Outriders have been on my "Wishlist" for quite a while. Sadly they were not on sale. Looked at MotorcycleGear.com and they were ON SALE on that website. I generally find the best deals of regular inventory at MotorcycleGear.com. Order a pair of them this morning. Light brown (khaki) color.

Few times on sun days almost 100F or above I've doused myself/mesh jacket/open-weave tee with lots of cool water as often as needed. I have my tool roll pushed inside a cut-out plastic bottle to collect and disperse the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few times on sun days almost 100F or above I've doused myself/mesh jacket/open-weave tee with lots of cool water as often as needed. I have my tool roll pushed inside a cut-out plastic bottle to collect and disperse the water.
I had nothing with me. I expected a 15 minute ride into town. 15 minutes home. Nothing more. I was wrong. Probably should have turned home at the construction zone and just taken an air conditioned car.

I had nothing with me. I expected a 15 minute ride into town. 15 minutes home. Nothing more. I was wrong. Probably should have turned home at the construction zone and just taken an air conditioned car.
You should have jumped in that river! I did that on my last ride, it felt incredible.

I still remember the first time I did the hobo bath/soaked undershirt trick. Somewhere north of the Californian border, mid 90s, full summer sun. I have never loved a interstate rest area so much. I don't hesitate to douse myself anymore

My fiancée let me take her for her first ride as a passenger yesterday! Wow riding 2-up on the NC is a *much* different experience than a Ninja250 heh. We went in the evening when it was cool; just around the Wisconsin State capitol and along the lake for about 30 mins.

She thought it would be scary and said she'd try one ride, ever. But she enjoyed it and I've been granted a second opportunity to take her out in the future :). Although mostly I just enjoy riding solo.,
What a joy to share the ride! My then-gf clung to me like a baby kangaroo on our first ride. Almost hard to breathe!

The NC is definitely more joyous one-up. But still good to share!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back