• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Track prep week, and I get sick with a cold. Getting over it now, hope it's gone fully by Sunday when we ride! Got everything loaded and ready to head out early Sunday morning.

17540ae060f09cabe6d1da399dce9904.jpg

596c5ded009900f730c1979eff34db84.jpg

7771df9594b49eb4fd0521988e9a3bcb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

100+ miles of forest roads and fire roads near Grandfather Mountain today. Cold as hell but layers worked fine. Heated grips were the only electrical assist.
fd14a95ad7aa09adb89a48df8c06ec82.jpg
0ce687a42f3fc66b9c9ab6c53f13e2e6.jpg
01b55fdbe427424237ad19a0a2d1a188.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful day in the paddock at Barber! This track is a lot faster than TalladegaGP. NC does not do as well here, but still plenty fun. Still lots of learning to do today. Much nore knee dragging today, which is cool! Had to adjust my highway peg to allow me to hang off the other side more.

397b2a69cf6023fd026ec18dafad5e06.jpg

b3e312449722a54a34326683e03a12c0.jpg

358aade4b11808716d9ecef21884ef03.jpg

Whew! Long day. Got wayyyy faster by the end of the day. Got a good couple vids, will upload later. Best thing about barber is 45' wide track so there's plenty room to pass in the turns. What an awesome day! I dont remember that many ppl ever being at any of the Barber trackdays I did back in 08-09, it was a sold out weekend. Traffic overload. Plenty passing potential tho. My buddy who has never been on track before came with me and had a blast. I rode in Novice again so as to ride with him, but from here on out, I'll be riding in Intermediate. I'd like to get in Advance group, but that requires removal of center stand and I really don't want to do that. The rule is to avoid clearance issues, but the NC center stand will never rub. Maybe I can get a special exception.

Regardless, I got more familiar with the track and gear selection per turn and got way smoother. Was certainly intimidated early in the day, as Barber is a fast *** technical track, but I settled in well. Can't wait to go back.

There's one more track weekend at Tally next weekend and another Thanksgiving weekend, gonna try to make one day per each as long as the weather cooperates.

f555a427466fdfc5abfc2bd90e9329e4.jpg

3d3cd09e5d8a67545e0b3e1e5e0a3990.jpg

64172e52cfbacfb4b46ffa30882b1fe3.jpg

828df00ceac69a49b34003cc3f6db17e.jpg

6248a57b0f5d433ac94e6e318c13bb07.jpg

6619236c915920e515e9b46e9e26c82b.jpg

e5b3fb0711f0ffe2cbfb39668d0b8dd0.jpg

62874ddcea280f26f8ed125ed918214f.jpg

Barber got repaved with fresh asphalt a few months ago. So weird riding much harder and faster than Tally and having very little tire wear, but saves me money! Also the added preload definitely made a big difference in feel through the turns.

26bb82ad236136df999e4cbd012bdb0f.jpg

And how about getting home and unloaded, sticking your last bottled beer in your jacket pocket, shutting the garage door and knocking the dang thing out of your pocket......yeah.

871ff516f6ed61d03b8c020b277599f5.jpg

Also, Idk how some of you are getting the chicken strips off your whole 160 rear tire. I have the little screw on tit looking things in the pegs removed, drag the crap out of pegs and kickstand and plastic gaurd on left side of engine, and still have 3/4 inch chicken strips left. Hell I use "more" of my front tire than rear. Kinda crazy, usually the opposite on sportbikes with 180/190 rear tires.

eb0468bcb9c9d0e742200634cf922cc6.jpg

f42b8266321d91cb63484ad9d3a7699e.jpg

Last edited:
Also, Idk how some of you are getting the chicken strips off your whole 160 rear tire. I have the little screw on tit looking things in the pegs removed, drag the crap out of pegs and kickstand and plastic gaurd on left side of engine, and still have 3/4 inch chicken strips left. Hell I use "more" of my front tire than rear. Kinda crazy, usually the opposite on sportbikes with 180/190 rear tires.

eb0468bcb9c9d0e742200634cf922cc6.jpg

f42b8266321d91cb63484ad9d3a7699e.jpg

I think the chicken strip thing has a lot to do with the profile of the tyre. On my Strom the rear Michelin is scrubbed right to the edge. However on my X-Adv which I lean over just as much as the Strom, I have a small chicken strip left. The difference between those two is definitely the profile because the combination of rim width and tyre size can result in the last inch or so of tread being very steeply angled and therefore impossible to scrub to the edge without a fall. If I were to use all the rubber on the sidewalls of the X-Adv then I would be almost parallel with the ground and therefore on my ***. So, imho don't get too hung up on the issue or it could bite. :)

Def not worrying about it, this is just the first "sporty" bike I've ever had where I couldn't lean all the way to the edge of the tire, so it's just kinda interesting to me. However if it weren't for all the stuff dragging I know I could lean to the edge. I can definitely move faster through corners than what the bike allows, so I have to focus on moving as much of my weight off to the side in turns as I can.

Also the angle at which the pegs are mounted in the rider triangle makes my boot rub on the bottom corner of the toe slider instead of on the whole side of the toe slider like if the feet were tucked back farther like on sportbikes. This means I may be going through toe sliders often because it doesn't take long to wear through the bottom corner and into the boot itself.

Been a long time since I sat on a sportbike and I sat on my buddy's GSXR1000, whoa what a difference in leg angle on stock pegs. Sure do miss being able to ride them, but the NC is still holding its own.

Got the video from Barber up, what a FUN track! This was a pretty good session, last one of the day. Got pretty fast in a few turns that gave me trouble earlier in the day. I was definitely "rusty" at that track. Continuously impressed with the NC's ability on track.

Here's the vid link. They allow 2 up riding for couples during the last session, so they let them go out first, then a couple instructors, then the rest of us. The first few of us that went out were the faster of the group, but there were probably 30 more behind me. This is a good example of how slow the NC is in the straights compared to other sportbikes, but how well it handles and brakes allowing me to catch up to them in the corners. Even passed a few in the turns. Around the 4 or 5 minute mark, I get in a battle with this guy on a blue bike, took a couple laps but I finally got him in a turn. Crazy how fast and how far he can pull away from me on the straights, but I catch right back up to him in the turns. LOL Also, EBC HH front pads performed great, definitely an improvement!

YouTube

Got the video from Barber up, what a FUN track! This was a pretty good session, last one of the day. Got pretty fast in a few turns that gave me trouble earlier in the day. I was definitely "rusty" at that track. Continuously impressed with the NC's ability on track.

Here's the vid link. They allow 2 up riding for couples during the last session, so they let them go out first, then a couple instructors, then the rest of us. The first few of us that went out were the faster of the group, but there were probably 30 more behind me. This is a good example of how slow the NC is in the straights compared to other sportbikes, but how well it handles and brakes allowing me to catch up to them in the corners. Even passed a few in the turns. Around the 4 or 5 minute mark, I get in a battle with this guy on a blue bike, took a couple laps but I finally got him in a turn. Crazy how fast and how far he can pull away from me on the straights, but I catch right back up to him in the turns. LOL Also, EBC HH front pads performed great, definitely an improvement!

YouTube

Well, I’m certainly no race track rider but it seems to me that if they’re leaving you in the straights, that’s the bike. And if you’re catching them through the turns, that’s the rider.

Cleaned the snow off the bike cover. Again. Doesn't look like riding weather at all this week :(

In past years I've ridden past Thanksgiving, and one year almost to Christmas. Not looking good for either this year though, might be time to move the bike to the neighbours garage and put it to bed for the winter.

I did pull the cover during the respite over the weekend. Took it off the charger and it started right up, so not a loose connection. Re-connected the charger and covered it up. Can live in hope for a few more days this year?!!

Well, I’m certainly no race track rider but it seems to me that if they’re leaving you in the straights, that’s the bike. And if you’re catching them through the turns, that’s the rider.
Ding ding ding. But, this was Novice group, albeit others in the video were some of the faster in the group. That was my last day in Novice. I really wish I had signed up for Intermediate instead. I rode in Novice to be able to ride with my buddy at his first trackday, but he was very slow starting out and I really didn't get a chance to mess around with him much throughout the day. Would have been the same if I had've just rode in Intermediate.

I'm going back to Tally this coming Sunday and will be riding in Intermediate group. Intermediate is usually full of a mix of riders. Noobs just bumped out of Novice that are still slow, average riders, and fast riders that are close to being bumped into Advance group. It will be interesting to see how my pace compares to the rest of the group. Will try to get some footage there as well.

Advanced class completed. 9 Harleys, 1 BMW dual sport, and my nc700x.

Only one bike was dropped and that was one of the officers practicing tight turns.

Locking the rear wheel (non-abs) and skidding from pavement to grass is still uneasy. Sure, it's only 15mph but a squirming bike isn't fun.

The new police Harleys can do wheelies and spin the rear tire on take off.

Got to hear about some issues they're having with the new Harleys.

Locked my rear tire on pavement because I got on the brakes too late and hard. Realized I was going to lock the rear wheel, decided to let off and blow the box... I was abruptly informed by the bike that I'd already locked the rear. No harm and I kept moving but I was a little distracted the rest of that lap.

Lots of fun. I got some video from the bike using a go pro knock-off. Never used it on the bike so I don't know what quality to expect. I'll post if the video is descent.]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I taught those classes for years in Texas. Go to a vacant parking lot and practice what made you uncomfortable. If that doesn't help, take the class again! Seriously, you'll get more comfortable with practice. Even as an instructor, I always felt that each class I did, made ME a better rider.

I taught those classes for years in Texas. Go to a vacant parking lot and practice what made you uncomfortable. If that doesn't help, take the class again! Seriously, you'll get more comfortable with practice. Even as an instructor, I always felt that each class I did, made ME a better rider.
They're free so no reason not to take the class regularly. Took two last year (first & second level). Signed up for four this year but the first three were cancelled (heavy rains, flooding, and one day was sleeting). Maybe next year I'll get in more classes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I did nothing special with my NC which is in its hibernation state in my shed. This guy was caught with an early snowfall. Pic in the newspaper taken yesterday in Quebec city.

ZXR.jpg

Screenshot from the Barber video. They have a female dummy hanging from under the walking bridge that goes over the track haha. Tripped me out when I first saw it!

3ffbe489c401950e3b08186e0c0c0e1f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back