• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha! And Superlite is a steel sprocket? Do not want anything aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Have you seen the hybrids? Aluminum with a ring of steel sprockets. Lighter weight than steel, but durability of steel.

Have you seen the hybrids? Aluminum with a ring of steel sprockets. Lighter weight than steel, but durability of steel.
I'm pretty sure Superlite isn't that fancy, it's just skeletonized steel and black instead of chrome, I haven't seen a hybrid sprocket that fits the NC

Today I ride to work. Woohoo! Exciting, I know. [emoji16]

To show support the issue with my new levers, I took this video today. Settings 2 and 5 are an issue but others are fine. Setting 5 seems to work if it's just right but 2 will fail after a few attempts.

I'll update with support's response. I may end up creating a dedicated thread if it's too much for here.

YouTube

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

rode in the rain to an appt. :{P
Like a real rider [emoji41]
I'd think you'd be well outfitted for it with you living in the north west and the trips you take, my feet usually end up wet (I still haven't invested in a pair of real riding boots) but wet crotch and stomach are the worst, between that being a possibility and the terrible drivers in my area, so even though my NC actually handles better in the rain then my 96 accord (my commuter when on 4 wheels) if it's raining when I go out the door if it's raining I'm taking the car, but if I get caught in the rain oh well [emoji28] I've got a change of cloths at work

I scored a nice new pair of A-star DryStars that are perfect for fall/rainy weather. They are so comfortable i bought the identical summer boot! THey were about $100@ :{)

Gotcha! And Superlite is a steel sprocket? Do not want anything aluminum.

Yes, it's a skeletonized steel sprocket
Given the cost and minimal weight savings vs Superlite I'm not a fan

Curious where you bought your sprockets? Chain too, while we're at it. Was gonna buy chain from Sportbike Track Gear, but they are out of stock on the VX2 chains.

I bought the JT 1373.16 front sprocket and the chain off of Amazon during Prime savings and the rear sprocket is OEM Honda purchased through my local dealer. At 35,800 miles the OEM rear sprocket was actually in really good shape w/no visible wear. I could have reused it but I put the new one on and cleaned up the old one.

I bought the JT 1373.16 front sprocket and the chain off of Amazon during Prime savings and the rear sprocket is OEM Honda purchased through my local dealer. At 35,800 miles the OEM rear sprocket was actually in really good shape w/no visible wear. I could have reused it but I put the new one on and cleaned up the old one.
If I remember correctly, I think my rear sprocket is still ok, but I need to check before placing an order. I may just clean them up and slap on a new chain. Might opt for the RK XSO with clip link. VX2 seems to be scarce and out of stock, although sprocket center has the VX3 in, but can't remember if clip link was offered. Really dont want to have to buy a rivet tool. Although part of me knows that's probably the best way and I should just buy one now and I'll have it forever....or until it breaks. Lol

If I remember correctly, I think my rear sprocket is still ok, but I need to check before placing an order. I may just clean them up and slap on a new chain. Might opt for the RK XSO with clip link. VX2 seems to be scarce and out of stock, although sprocket center has the VX3 in, but can't remember if clip link was offered. Really dont want to have to buy a rivet tool. Although part of me knows that's probably the best way and I should just buy one now and I'll have it forever....or until it breaks. Lol

I think when you look closely at the countershaft sprocket it will be worn with "hooked" teeth. OEM Honda or JT, this one for me wears 1 to 1 with a chain.

I think when you look closely at the countershaft sprocket it will be worn with "hooked" teeth. OEM Honda or JT, this one for me wears 1 to 1 with a chain.
Not worth starting a thread over, but I have an idea/question. Say I end up making this bike dedicated track bike and maybe buy a 750x for street later on. If I were to alter the sprockets on my current DCT, general consensus is that it will not shift correctly in D and S modes. BUT.....this should not affect anything in manual mode, should it? I was reading on the Africa Twin forums where a guy changed sprockets on his DCT and been riding it like that. He only mentioned shift point being a bit troublesome now and then, but acted like it wasn't that big a deal. When I ride track or aggressive on street, I solely rely on manual mode. This makes me think, I could alter the sprockets a bit and tweek a bit more power out of it. Sprockets are fairly cheap, I may experiment.

Link to AT thread.

Change in Gear/Sprocket Change in Gear/Sprocket - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

X

Answered my own question to what was posted here. Lol

Pretty sure a sprocket change, even if it didn't throw a code and manually shifted fine, it would make an existing "problem" worse. That being I already have to wait on it to get below 70mph to downshift into 3rd going into most of the turns. Sprocket change would make speedo register faster, meaning it would technically take an even lower speed to get the speedo down below 70 to allow downshifting into 3rd. Unless it geared it low enough to make 4th now a usable gear instead of 3rd.

Either way, I don't think I want to mess with it now, for I fear it will just be a waste of time and a few dollars.

Last edited:
... can't remember if clip link was offered. Really dont want to have to buy a rivet tool. Although part of me knows that's probably the best way and I should just buy one now and I'll have it forever....or until it breaks. Lol

When I got my kit from Sprocket Center I got both. The link was in the chain box and the rivet was in a separate baggie.

Rode into work today because I had to run an errand at lunch.

4:30 AM (roughly) - pouring rain outside. Wasnt supposed to rain, nothing on radar.
6:45 AM (roughly) - no rain, but streets wet. Further I get into town, less water on roads. Dry downtown.
10:00 AM (give/take) - pouring downtown again, rain moving east.
10:45 AM - head east to get my PreCheck status interview over with TSA, arrive wet.
11:30 AM - head back to work, no rain, but still wet.
4:00 PM - no rain, all dry

And none of the rain was supposed to come in. Not forecast. I at least had rain gear, but not waterproof gloves...

And still better than driving a car!

Went ahead and ordered stuff through sprocket center. DID VX3 gold chain, black superlite rear sprocket, and standard Superlite front sprocket. Gonna look good when I take it all apart, clean up all the gunk in the swingarm/shock area and rear wheel, then slap on the black rear sprocket and gold chain. Bling bling son! Lol

And while I've got it apart, gonna turn up the preload on the rear shock, maybe it will help with dragging hard parts in corners at the track.

Last edited:
Bought a new toy hauler, GMC Canyon. Three hour rides are about the max for my old arthritic knees. I'm hoping this will get me to new riding areas and get me home for dinner.
f4304ef3740740ea4a24e936eba723ec.jpg
7c6384683908a701583ea785136c1bb5.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nice truck! Love the color!

What tail bag is that, I like that!

Also, have you tried using highway pegs to help your knees? (Can't tell if they are mounted on your bike or not)

Yeah, I have highway pegs and they help.
The bag is Nelson-Rigg. I wanted some extra storage but don't like the looks of panniers or top boxes. Plus I can swing a stiff leg over it when I step up on the peg to mount. And it has an additional 3" expansion zipper.
d5029d09d1b595e1dd1a68f5a2775bb0.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

So I made a video of my defective clutch lever and started a claim through Amazon. FYI, Amazon strips all non-Amazon URLs from claims so they didn't get the YouTube links.

Can you send a picture?

Sure but I fail to see how that helps. YouTube videos aren't public so you need the URL to see the video. Sorry.

Do you have Facebook, Messenger, or Whatsapp?

Hey, just go to YouTube and add this to the URL. /v=?...

Sigh, this is a good bit of hassle for $30 levers. I guess next is making the videos public so they can search for them. I shouldn't have to use something like Whatsapp to file a warranty claim. Awesome they're giving me alternatives but I'd rather just email them. Or maybe I'll give in and just FB them the video?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back