• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night was good fun. Went to work in the sixties clear sky. Then headed south side of town for a bike night. I’m getting a little too lucky with this weather.

I’ve ordered some new mirrors, and highway pegs. Hope they get here soon.

Sleet and freezing rain here too. I have to be satisfied with just putting a RAM ball mount on my Christmas list.

I found one that replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts. Any negatives with replacing one of the bolts with a RAM ball and a 8mm Allen head bolt?

JT
RAM ball mounts work great.

The question is will that mounting position work for you? It works for some, not for others. Some people don't like looking straight down while riding, especially if looking at a screen that requires some thought (like a navigation screen).

There are lots of RAM mount options and lots of surfaces on which to mount a RAM ball. Pick your position, then find the RAM mount that will work for you. If you find that the handlebar is your best position then get the mount for that. But look at the options, there are a lot of them.

I would add that unless you have a windscreen that uses a support bar above the instrument cluster (i.e., Madstad, Honda touring) then there is not a good and simple way to mount above the instrument cluster. I’ve tried jury rigging several types of Ram mounts above the cluster and there isn’t a good way I’ve found yet (all involved zip ties or hose clamps since there’s no good mounting point on the cluster itself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a RAM mount that puts a RAM ball just above the center of the instrument cluster. It mounts under the stock windshield using the windshield screw holes.

^^link?

Actually I just rechecked the one I’d posted about in another thread, but at the time it only for 2016-17 because the windshield hole pattern change.

I just saw the seller is back on eBay and advertises it now fits 2012-2015. I’ve written to confirm. This could be the answer for those with no cross bar

b667e7feded842d6fae8371c41a78ef6.jpg

HONDA NC700X 2012-2015 GPS Phone Holder, CosmoMotoAccessories HONDA NC700X 2012-2015 GPS Phone Holder, CosmoMotoAccessories | eBay

Last edited:
GregC that is the mount to which I was referring and I also noticed it is offered with a more complete hole pattern to fit more years. FWIW, it will also fit the 2018 and I'm going to presume the 2019 models.

Of course a less expensive option would be to remove the windshield, drill a hole in the shade over the instrument cluster, and simply install a ram ball right to the shade. Some people have zero problem making bike modifications, others prefer to keep it stock and simply add on parts. I'm not offering any opinion on either, just tossing out the option for those who would consider drilling a hole.

That seller confirmed the new one fits 2012-2015.

Re drilling into the instrument cluster enclosure - I thought about that but that plastic is mighty thin.

That seller confirmed the new one fits 2012-2015.

Re drilling into the instrument cluster enclosure - I thought about that but that plastic is mighty thin.

On my wife’s ‘16 NC700x and on my ‘18 750x there is a sun shade over the instrument cluster. That is where I was thinking a RAM ball could easily be mounted. Not drilling into the instrument housing. Into the sunshade, which is thick enough and solid enough to support a load without vibration issues.

On my wife’s ‘16 NC700x and on my ‘18 750x there is a sun shade over the instrument cluster. That is where I was thinking a RAM ball could easily be mounted. Not drilling into the instrument housing. Into the sunshade, which is thick enough and solid enough to support a load without vibration issues.
That shade isn’t metal, but a sort of hard rubber or plastic. I drilled and put a Ram mount there, (RAM-B-349 1" Ball with M10 X 1.25 Pitch Male Thread) for my heavy Garmin 2797 (7”) GPS, that is inside an also heavy Ram locking case (RAM-HOL-GA61LU Locking Case). Needless to say, the shade didn’t provide the stable support and the GPS was like a bobble head. To fix it, I used elastic pony tail ties from the GPS locking case’s corners to my Madstad windscreen tightening knobs. That actually pulls the GPS upward and the shade mount just controls the base position. Yeah I know it sounds weird but it works so well I’ve never considered changing it.

Found a couple of pics.
40AFD08F-774C-4B07-8D3B-2EFD0B0FAD74.jpg

28FE6176-E5FF-4F4E-A95D-E9A1E6FB30D6.jpg

To get to my point, that shade alone isn’t capable of stable weight bearing without vibration issues.

Ray

Last edited:

That shade isn’t metal, but a sort of hard rubber or plastic. I drilled and put a Ram mount there, (RAM-B-349 1" Ball with M10 X 1.25 Pitch Male Thread) for my heavy Garmin 2797 (7”) GPS, that is inside an also heavy Ram locking case (RAM-HOL-GA61LU Locking Case). Needless to say, the shade didn’t provide the stable support and the GPS was like a bobble head. To fix it, I used elastic pony tail ties from the GPS case to my Madstad windscreen tightening knobs. That actually pulls the GPS upward and the shade mount just controls the base position. Yeah I know it sounds weird but it works so well I’ve never considered changing it.

To get to my point, that shade alone isn’t capable of stable weight bearing without vibration issues.

Ray

That's what I would be concerned with. I put my Garmin 660 on top of the 2015's cluster using a Ram base with a ball that had slots, and used industrial zip ties through the slots to secure it to the metal frame around the instrument cluster and to the windshield mounts (I have Dale's nut plates installed). That worked but was fugly, and I discovered having it sit right on top of the cluster disrupted the wind flow of my CalSci windscreen so that I was getting buffeting.
73a67cd4366ed521889771cc8bc499b3.jpg

710e6499391d808aaf3c2b44678ebc49.jpg

That metal mount on ebay looks like it would place the mount over, and a bit forward, on the cluster so that the gps would not be in the airflow. Unfortunately, the shipping on that item takes 25 days from Germany -- and I'm impatient.

Last edited:
We had a spring like day yesterday, so I rode both bikes. I was able to discover my problem with my C50 Boulevard-the 30 amp fuse was blown-must have been all the humidity from the previous ice storm and when I initially turned the key, the fuse popped. Replaced the fuse, bingo, started and I took it for a nice 1 hour ride. Got home and fired up the NC700x and rode into town to rent a couple of DVDs. I was going to ride longer but the 30-35mph constant winds up gusts up to 40mph started to not be fun, so I headed home. This week, winter sets in-weathermen calling for sleet this afternoon, flurries tomorrow, and winter mix on Saturday...highs mostly in the 30s this week....:(-I hate winter.

Considered getting the NC out yesterday. Almost hit 60 degrees. I saw a few bikes taking advantage of the warm weather.
My issue with these warm days is that in Michigan we use salt on the roads. Once we get the first snow or ice, the roads always have a coating of salt that gets on everything. I usually wait until the late March/ early April rain showers to wash all the salt away before I start riding again.

JT

On the Southern edge of Lake Michigan we had 50 degrees but RAIN RAIN RAIN pretty much all day Saturday & Sunday.

Joked with my wife about bringing out the bikes during a brief break in the Sunday afternoon rain as we saw a couple hours without rain.

On the bright side the Christmas tree is up, lit and decorated.

On the Southern edge of Lake Michigan we had 50 degrees but RAIN RAIN RAIN pretty much all day Saturday & Sunday.

Joked with my wife about bringing out the bikes during a brief break in the Sunday afternoon rain as we saw a couple hours without rain.

On the bright side the Christmas tree is up, lit and decorated.
Well over here 90 miles west of you it got to 36F and raining. I was tempted but the grit they threw on the road stopped me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Made it ready for sale.

I got my full license now and have bought a bigger bike (VFR800 VTEC) so I'm technically still a Honda owner :)
Sad to let it go but I can't have 2 bikes in the garage, and I need to make some money to pay off the VFR lol.
I will miss the frunk so hard. A tankbag is so awkward and you can't just leave it on the bike and make sure it isn't getting stolen, but that V4 sound of the VFR will make everything a little less hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back